5.0 out of 5 stars Magic!
Emily Gravett has done it again with this fantastic book about a hapless little frog who gets more than he bargains for when he meddles with a strange old book of spells! When the lonely frog finds a spell to transform himself into a handsome prince, he can't resist trying it out . . . but he has a few problems getting it quite right.

As always, Gravett's...
Published on 11 Aug 2008 by M. Harrison

2.0 out of 5 stars Spells
Published on 27 Aug 2011 by M. I. Horn

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic!, 11 Aug 2008
M. Harrison (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spells (Hardcover)

As always, Gravett's illustrations are wonderful - both sensitive and humourous - and with this book there are some lovely elements of torn paper imagery that are similar to Oliver Jeffers' 'The Incredible Book Eating Boy'. There is also a split page effect during the process of the frog's spell where the pages can be turned to whatever combination of illustrations the reader chooses. This adds an extra dimension of fun to what is already a lovely book.

Another reviewer has given this a one star rating due to there being a naked man in one of the illustrations. Personally I didn't find this image offensive in any way - it is drawn from behind, showing the man's bottom. I wouldn't have a problem with showing this to a child. My advice would be to pick the book up in a shop before buying if you're concerned about this. It will take two minutes to read and decide whether or not you find it suitable for the child you're buying for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 19 Jan 2009
This review is from: Spells (Hardcover)
I saw this in a shop and was drawn to the illustration on the cover. Venturing inside it the book proved to be a delight. I had to read it through and play with the split page effect and I'm 42!

I can't imagine this not appealing to kids of either sex who are not too wordly wise. Certainly, a friends 10 year old daughter loves it.

If you'll pardon the expression, it's magical!

5.0 out of 5 stars spellbinding for young readers, 26 May 2009
Mummy "Mum of Three" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spells (Hardcover)
I bought this for my two daughters aged 5 and 6. Yes there is a reference to a "barebum" in the text and illustration but it is hardly explicit.
The girls have delighted in mixing and matching the spells, brilliant for new readers as it contains quite alot of phonics. Fun and funny for children and parents alike. Keeping with the froggy theme Two Frogs by Christopher Wormell is another entertaining story with a twist at the end (but no bare-bum!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 11 Aug 2008
This review is from: Spells (Hardcover)
I just love the care and thoughtfulness that has gone into this book, as with all her work the illustrations are just pure quality, and hey my kids think bums are funny. We loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars spells, 2 Nov 2008
This review is from: Spells (Hardcover)
My children really enjoyed this book and the bottom really had them in stitches.(body parts are so funny when you are very young!!)
If a naked bottom in a story book upsets a child then how on earth are they going to cope once they begin swimming lessons etc. This book is in no way offensive to any normal well balanced child.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPELLS, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Spells (Hardcover)
THIS IS A LOVELY BOOK PREFERABLY SUITABLE IN MY OPINION FOR KID'S A 5 UPWARDS, AS ALL THE PAGES ARE DARK. THE STORY ITSELF IS VERY SWEET, AND THE ARTWORK STYLISH, NICE STORY READING ALSO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Spells (Paperback)
Great book good for phonics reinforcement and fun as well. Brought for my 3 year old with plans to use as a teaching aid for my year 1 class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spells, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Spells (Hardcover)
The book was in very good condition with the jacket cover in perfect order. The book is being used as part of an art project.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spells, 27 Aug 2011
M. I. Horn (Minehead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spells (Hardcover)
I was very disappointed in this book. I bought it because it had rave reviews in the Week, and was a good buy for 5 to 10 year olds. In fact it had virtually no story line, but very good illustrations and was really too young for the 5 year old I bought it for. If I had bought it for a much younger child, I might have been happy with it, so may be it is the reviewer I should give 2 stars to. There is a clever idea where the pages are cut in half so you can change the images by looking at different pages, top and bottom. However, even with a much younger child, I still think that the story line was so weak that it could never rate five stars despite the great quality of the illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book with lots of potential., 3 Aug 2011
S. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spells (Paperback)
Ideal book for 6 - 7 year olds with lots of humour. It will be a great basis for some Literacy work - and include lots of fun too.

Spells
Spells by Emily Gravett (Paperback - 2 Oct 2009)
6.99