on 3 March 2013
I find it to be an interesting read, in fact I find that reading it is very much like watching a good documentary. It doesn't "pick sides" per say, in that it seems to favour whichever people or event it's writing about, rather than picking "heroes" and "villains", in other words, it manages to remain as objective as can be expected. There is an odd tendency to "explain" how certain words are pronounced by spelling them out (rather inaccurate compared to using phonetic symbols, but it is understandable), however, this is only done for -some- of the words that may be unfamiliar to the reader; hence the oddness. Apart from the aforementioned, and some other minor details, the book is good.
on 16 September 2013
I have now read the first ten chapters and am really enjoying it. It is a heavy tome (weight-wise) but the reading experience is anything but. Interesting, level-headed analysis together will illustrative maps and charts.
on 26 August 2015
I really like this book, and I imagine the huge thing is going to be lugged around with me for the rest of my life because of how much I like it! It covers a very wide world history and in a fair bit of depth too (as much as one can have when discussing the world history from 5000BC onward). I bought it in hardback, and it's certainly a sturdy thing that'd look impressive on a bookshelf or coffee table. My only criticism is that the pages are very thin and can tear easily, although I feel that's unfair because if the pages were any thicker the book would be impossibly big. I'd definitely recommend it, especially to any other history geeks out there.
on 9 March 2015