Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 May 2014
this pocket sized book is a gem - I bought this so that I could help my 14 year old daughter, study & revise as she was getting so overwhelmed with her school work (first year of GCSE's) & her teachers didn't seem to understand her learning style/needs.

this book helps to identify learning styles, how dyslexics usually approach learning (which typically leaves them in an exhausting mess) this book also helps you identify resources to help - even at Uni level.
on 11 November 2013
I was recommended this book by an amazing lady, who put this book in my hand and said "read this, this will help your studying beyond measure" and she was right.
I have gone back into studying as I want to learn rather than having it enforced at school. Its a long time since I've studied, and I feel rather rusty. This book cuts down all my concerns, as it starts with the basics and works up. The other brilliant aspect of this book, is its a small pocket size book, which you can digest in small chunks, and every little bit is amazing! When I opened part 1 and read "Being dyslexic does not mean you are not as bright as other people-just that you learn differently. You can be clever and dyslexic; dyslexia does not determine your intelligence." Wow, to read that made me feel amazing!
I really felt that this author understood what she was talking about. I have learnt so much from this book, and want to put this book into the hands of others, specially those heading into further education at any level.

Even though this book is 139 pages long, its manageable by taking section by section and digesting it, and referring back to particular sections.

Part 1 covers:
Its OK to do things differently
Working with your dyslexia

Writing
Checking everything
Revision and memory
Exams
Dealing with seminars, group work and presentations
Have confidence

Part 3: Support for dyslexic students at university

Part 4:
References
Useful contacts
Useful resources
Index

The last piece of advice this wonderful lady told me was "Keep this book in your bag or coat pocket, when you are out and about, traveling, having a coffee, pick it up and read a piece of this. This will keep the book feeling 'fresh' and inspiring."

I really hope this mini book will open many doors for so many. You can learn anything, its just knowing different ways of learning to suit you, which fits us as individuals. Once you master that, you can sail though learning without the anxieties, you don't have to spending 10 times longer studying than non dyslexic students, and retain important information more effectively. This small digestible book I hope will be your key.

I really hope in some small way this review will open doors for you, and make learning much easier, more successful and will help you to achieve your goals. Very best of luck :)
on 14 June 2014
Good little guide but does deal with Going to study at College (US style).

It was helpful and the skills are transferable, wanted to use it with my 14 year who has just been diagnosed with dyslexia. As a grammar school student they need to know how to plan and prioritise especially as workload gets heavier. This guide therefore is a help.
on 12 May 2014
Best book I have ever read . Has changed my life alot. I recommend anyone to buy this book If they struggle studying
on 5 January 2015
Bought at university and have to say this book is a MUST for anyone with dyslexia. It is super easy to read and has many simple steps which are easy to remember and follow. Many metaphors and anecdotes/ illustrations which make it very easy to understand and digest information for the dyslexic reader.
on 9 December 2014
Fantastic little book. Discovered this in a search and so pleased with it. It is indeed pocket sized and is crammed full of useful tips and advice!! Superb!
on 23 January 2015
Just what you need... I am a mature student recently diagnosed with dyslexia and I just wanted some simple that was helpful. Im only half way through the book but have got loads of ideas already, which has helped me think differently about my learning. Excellent book!
on 13 July 2014
This little book has been brilliant. It's got such good, easy to follow and practical ideas for overcoming the obstacles created by having dyslexia. I know it's going to be invaluable in the future.
on 4 October 2015
Love this book! Handy, quick reference and most importantly simple to read. Use this book a lot at university alongside other methods - one to one support, assistive technology and other books. Makes light work of daunting tasks and simplifies tasks.
on 2 July 2014
Arrived within 5 days of ordering the book is easy to understand I bought it for my 18 year old daughter as she is going to university this September to give her some tips and help for studying