5.0 out of 5 stars The boost of confidence for students aiming for a first
Published 9 months ago by CMJ

Published 7 months ago by Kathleen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The boost of confidence for students aiming for a first, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: How to Get a First: Insights and Advice from a First-class Graduate (Palgrave Student to Student) (Paperback)
The first thing I gathered when reading this book is that the author Michael is a student that I could easily relate to. As he says in the book, he initially wasn't achieving firsts in uni work but later changed his work ethic and mind set which allowed him to gain a first for his degree. Michael is not boastful of his success and does not lead you into a false sense of security by brain washing you into thinking that achieving a first is easy and it is just going to happen over night. Michael offers a variety of strategies to help improve uni work and student life in general. He explains the importance of mindset and developing intelligence which from his point of view was interesting how it can impact the likelihood of obtaining a first. I would agree with many of the previous reviews that much if what is included in this book is common sense, but sometimes its good to read advice from a different angle. I find this book valuable in times when things are tough at university. Just reading a few pages can boost confidence and set you in the correct direction again if you have suffered a set back. After reading the book, I do have a more positive outlook on obtaining a first.

3.0 out of 5 stars There isn't anything especially revealing about how to gain a first and I'm pretty sure the majority of people already know what, 12 Aug. 2014
Its just a lot of common sense really. There isn't anything especially revealing about how to gain a first and I'm pretty sure the majority of people already know what has been written in this book without actually having to read it. If you want to get a first and if a first is your aim then I would defiantly recommend buying "The Study Skills Handbook" by Stella Cottrell over buying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars which I liked a lot and wanted to say it to you, 11 Jan. 2015
Just finish the book, which I liked a lot and wanted to say it to you. I thank Michael for writing it, it has been a great, practical help in my coming back to Uni, doing a Master after some time out. I was looking for strategies and particularly the Task Management chapter was one I delight on. What got me though from just a quick scanning to wanting to read more was the Work Ethic part where he wrote about Will Smith. I want to develop that part of myself, believing in me. So thanks, Francisco.

5.0 out of 5 stars * * *Insightful* * *, 31 Aug. 2012
The author's writing provides a clear and easy to follow outline towards greater academic achievement. But what really stood out to me was that beyond that, the core principles behind it all can be applied towards living a happier, more productive life in genreal! Definitely recommended!! Whether for yourself or a student you know that could use an extra push towards realizing their potential!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, informative and helpful., 5 Sept. 2013
There's a very good reason why Michael is a First-class Graduate and that is because he is obviously a hard working, dedicated student and this book is invaluable to me as a personal guide to achieving the grades I want.

Michael uses a holistic approach and although some reviews have considered this to be mere common sense, the majority do unfortunately lack this and that is what makes so many guides seem so regimented and impersonal. Something as simple as a guide to planning out times for study is essential and although simple, it is very effective, as planning is typically the first hurdle that many students do not manage to do.

This book is an all round helpful guide, it won't tell you to what time to put your kids to bed in order to get enough study time and it won't tell you what questions will be in your exams or what to write in assignments like some readers appear to have expected it to. This book does however give you an academic insight into how Tefula attained his own grades and this it what makes his information key, if he achieved it, then with the same level of hard work and dedication so can any reader.

Overall Michaels positive attitude, hardworking ethos and realistic advice and approaches to study, make this book helpful, inspiring, personal and realistic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly common sense but still useful, 4 April 2014
A lot of the insights in this book are just common sense - but it can still be good to get a different perspective on how other people approach exams!

I think my favourite thing about this book was not the advice itself, but that after reading sections from the book, I felt more motivated to work. I'd recommend the book as a lighthearted introduction rather than a dense study skill handbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon are amazing!, 30 Sept. 2013
This book is essential all those that are at UNI, it gives you comprehensive advise and guidance from a students point of view and yes some of it is common sense however, sometimes it's good to bee reminded of those truths. I also want to add that amazons delivery is beyond exceptional and I highly recommend you using their service ;))))

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read., 16 Sept. 2014
Although aimed at students going into their first year of university. I'm currently going into my final year and find this book amazing! I had my doubts, but it's totally changed the way I revise and remember information. Definitely a worthwhile investment! I wish it was longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book !, 26 Jan. 2014
This book is excellent for helpful tips and inspiration to get you on the way to a first class degree. I recommend this for every first year student or anyone who needs a little push to get them on the right path to a rewarding university degree !

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy It, you won't be disappointed., 13 Jan. 2015
Fantastic, great tips. Worth it glad I thought to buy in my first term, the library tip helped with all my first term coursework. I think this will be very valuable during the next 2.5yrs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›