5.0 out of 5 stars Digital is taking over!, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: e-shock 2020: How the Digital Technology Revolution Is Changing Business and All Our Lives (Hardcover)
This book is real thought-provoking stuff.
Got lots of ideas and examples of how some companies are dealing with digital.
Loved reading about the technology and the future and some of this is like seeing science fiction come true!
Read the section about Minority Report. It's happening already!

Lot of personal anecdote and story-telling and that seems to help make it all real. Can see some of these things happening in my own company.

Would have liked to see more about the changing tech but overall very worth while.

5.0 out of 5 stars e-shock 2020, 26 Nov 2011
This is the third book I've read by the author and as before he is ahead of the game, making sense of what is happening around us before anyone else can put the pieces together and connecting with advancing technology to give us a sense of what is coming. I recommend this book to anyone in a position of authority, particularly in business, as the ideas "e-shock 2020" puts across can't be ignored and in fact must be championed and embraced today. e-shock 2020 is just around the corner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Get Left Behind, 27 Oct 2011
Fresh from reading Julian Baggini's The Ego Trick, I've been trying to get to grips with the idea that one day it might be possible to upload `me' to a computer, so I could live permanently in some virtual reality. "Never," I tell myself.

Then, by some strange coincidence, my next read is e-shock 2020, in which I learn that we're already on the cusp of chips in brains to control computers. Presumably, the end game is to ditch our physical body altogether and have virtual immortality.

But e-shock 2020 is about much more than that. It provides a fascinating insight into what our world might look like at the end of this decade, in light of technological developments now underway - with a spotlight in particular on the commercial world.

For a non-techie person I found this book eminently readable. The convergence of technologies it describes is entirely convincing (and backed up by many examples). And by illustrating the ideas by reference to readily graspable touchstones - like the film Minority Report - the author makes this subject accessible and interesting to the layman, not just for jargon-ridden IT consultants.

Twenty-five years ago we might have laughed at some of the ideas in this book. But with knowledge of the huge leaps made in that intervening quarter century, nothing seems impossible any longer.

Anyone with an interest in how digital will change our world should read this, or get left behind.

22.40