5.0 out of 5 stars A practical and readable edition, 12 Aug 2014
Kirk McElhearn (Near Stratford-upon-Avon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Two Gentlemen of Verona (The RSC Shakespeare) (Paperback)
After seeing the wonderful RSC production of this play, which I only knew from the old BBC filmed version, I wanted to re-read it before seeing it again. I like the RSC individual play editions: they are easy to handle, much more so than any one-volume edition of Shakespeare. The introductions are useful, and the back of the book has a lot of information about the history of the play's performance; in this case, there's an interview with two directors who staged the play.

The text is in a single column, very readable, with notes at the bottom of the page. I'm slowly adding to my collection of the RSC editions, as they're among the most usable single editions out there. They're a lot slimmer than the Arden editions, which have far more critical information, but this is enough for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doing The Bard Justice, 26 May 2012
Michael A. Mackay (Lichfield, UK) - See all my reviews
There are many Kindle editions of Shakespeare's 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona' but this is the best by far. Some of the worst ones reduce the verse in the play to blocks of prose, others retain lineation but have no textual notes on Shakespeare's vocabulary. This edition gives students everything they need to study and enjoy the play. There are interesting and informative essays, but by far the best feature of this edition is the way that unusual, obsolete or difficult words are highlighted. Just tapping on the highlighted word brings up its modern equivalent. To get back to the text, you just tap the word again and you are immediately returned to the point in the play where you made your enquiry. I love it! What is more, the modern equivalents are clear and concise - much better than some expensive paperback editions. I can't fault this edition: the text is clear and uncluttered, the critical essays are informative and the textual annotations are a dream. I highly recommend it. If this publisher does editions of this quality for Shakespear's other plays, I shall be buying those, too.

The Two Gentlemen of Verona (The RSC Shakespeare)
The Two Gentlemen of Verona (The RSC Shakespeare) by William Shakespeare (Paperback - 26 July 2011)