Format: PaperbackChange

on 5 April 2005
i am reading for a degree in Infortmation Technology Engineering, after 8 years of working and no studying I needed a quick crash course in advanced mathematics to bring me up to speed with the other students in my course...
these books were suggested to me by a friend... what can i say... i never studied advanced mathematics and by simply (and patiently) studying these two books well i excel in maths compared to the other students...
these books are THE BEST books in maths you'll ever come across... especially if like me you want to teach yourself...
i recommend them to anyone who likes maths... university or not!
on 6 September 2005
I didn't take A-level maths, but convinced my university to let me take Engineering anyway because my Physics grades were good. Anyway, the my lectures required that I read these books (Engineering Mathematics and Advanced Engineering Mathematics) because with my background I was 'at risk' of not being able to complete the course, so I went right through both of them from cover to cover. The books go from the most simple Algebra all the way through to Complex Integration and Non-Linear optimisation. The books are unique in that they make it so easy to progress from one subject to the next in a gentle step-wise manner. The non-nonsense, clear style stopped mathematics feeling like a stuffy and in-penetrable subject.

I said that this was the best investment you'll ever make, that's because I picked up both of these books for £60 new. Without this material, I would not have a first-class engineering degree or a lucrative career writing scientific software. I still use the information I learned from these books on a daily basis.

Warning: Owning these books is not a silver bullet. You have to be committed to work through them end to end including using the examples.
on 23 August 2006
I can wholeheartedly say that Stroud's series (Engineering Mathematics and Advanced) helped ensure a good grade for my mathematics modules for my first year in Electrical/Electronic Engineering. It treats topics very systematically, gives summaries and tables, which are especially useful for those mechanical math techniques such as in integration, they are listed in a way so you can use it for quick reviews later as well. It explains concepts with good detail without being tediously daunting to read, it achieves what very few math books (in my experience) are able to. Advanced Engineering mathematics is helpful for some of the basic mathematical topics in 2nd year too, for instance Vector Calculus (Divergence thm., Curl etc), Z transforms , some of COnformal Mappings, Complex Integration etc.

It would be great if Stroud produced another version with the more advanced mathematical concepts and one for advanced statistics.

In any case if you are in your first two years as an Undergraduate in any Engineering course, this series is a must-have!
on 3 January 2004
I am a second year Aeronautics student and I highly recommend this book. The best bit about the book is that all steps in calculations are included so you don't get lost which can be a problem in other text books. The work is set out in a well ordered way, broken down into many sections with constant exercises, tests and reviews. This allows you to follow methods of working step by step from easy examples to the much harder examples (the ones you need for the exams) and also makes each chapter quick to work through and understand. It really is all you could want in a maths text book.
on 16 August 2005
Advanced Engineering Mathematics is the second of Ken Stroud's books. It again takes the programmed study approach used in the first book (Engineering Mathematics), and is aimed principally at the second year of undergraduate engineering courses, although some topic areas could equally be found in A level and HNC/HND mathematics courses.
My opinion? Quite simply absolutely excellent! Engineering Mathematics and Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Ken Stroud are just about all you will need for an engineering degree course to deal with any problems you will have with the principal areas of the mathematics. Remember, I have been where you are (or are going) and you can take it from me, these books are not only an investment but almost certainly the best mathematics books you will ever own. They will pay for themselves time and time again when you hit the mathematical wall! There are some similar books around these days, but these books are the real McCoy. To be without them on an undergraduate engineering degree course is simply unthinkable. It would be like cutting your own throat mathematically speaking! GET THEM!! I guarantee you will not regret it.
A note to the authors and editor of these books....thank you for making mathematics a joy to learn. Your books are a major contributing factor in my degree success, and the success of countless thousands of other post and undergraduates alike. Thank you for making the effort to make mathematics a topic we can all enjoy, learn, and succeed in.
11 comment16 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2000
To anyone who is about to undertake, or is indeed in the middle of any engineering degree, this book is a must. Like its sister book, Engineering Mathematics also by Stroud, the layout and style are cleverly designed to keep you working through the chapters. Don't do engineering without a copy.
on 25 March 2005
I was advised to buy Engineering mathmatics as part of my 1st year physics course and have since not had to buy another maths related text book other than Advanced engineering mathmatics. Both books cover every area of maths i have so far needed. i even find i can teach myself stright out the book with no prior knowledge. excellent
on 17 December 2004
I bought both of these books while I was doing my A level Maths and am still using them while in second year Honours Degree Maths. I do buy other books as well which take the subject further but I invariably find that I always come back to these two wonderful books. My view is if you are an engineering student working to a budget; if you only buy two books ever, you'll not go wrong with these two
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2006
I had managed to get through my first year undergraduate course in Engineering with the assistance of Engineering Mathematics: Programmes and Problems also by Ken Stroud. I decided to try again with Further Engineering Mathematics and repeated the success story.

Inspired with my success with `volume one' I decided to try and get ahead of the game by having a go at volume two before the second year started when I was completing an industrial placement. On the occasions I got stuck I managed to find an engineering graduate who could point me back in the right direction. This helps demonstrate you don't need to be in an educational environment for the book to work.

Ken uses a simple, systematic method of introducing each mathematical subject in simple terms and "warms you up" by working through a few easy examples. You are encouraged to keep a notebook of proofs and equations for easy reference and after a short while these are soon memorized by repetition. Working on a "picture frame" by picture frame basis new material is introduced to the reader and the reader tested by writing down a response and comparing it to the correct answer. The level of complexity increases and quite soon you are tackling worked examples and `test yourself' exercises.

This `remote from the classroom' method of learning worked for me because I could have a go when it suited me. This has the advantage of learning material in advance so formal lectures reinforce what you have learnt or used post lecture in a similar fashion. Although you are not having direct contact time with a teacher you feel as though you are!

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone tackling a HNC in engineering or engineering degree, especially the second year and beyond. For anyone needing a top up on there first year mathematics check out Engineering Mathematics: Programmes and Problems. Anyone needing to get to grips with Laplace Transforms check out Kens book specifically on this subject.
on 26 December 2011
If you're doing an engineering (or even finance) course and you need a study programme to bring you up to speed with engineering mathematics then the 2 Stroud books are essential. A few weeks spent reviewing these helped me fly through the maths in a telecoms engineering Masters degree and I still refer to them in my daily work as a researcher A book like Kreyzig is a great compendium as you become more experienced but these will give you the foundations to tackle real world quantitative problems.
I've even known people who didn't feel they had the aptitude for engineering mathematics become wonderfully proficient by following Stroud's chapters and exercises. So if you're struggling and haven't invested in these books, what are you waiting for?