5.0 out of 5 stars K Stroud, Engineering and Advanced Engineering Maths
Published on 17 Dec 2004 by Mr. Robert Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for beginners
This book is generally well received by those who review it. The book is excellent as a large collection of well laid out examples, which can ensure a good pass in an engineering maths module. However, it fails to give the reader the appreciation of the topics it covers.

A good buy if you just want to learn enough to pass an exam well. A not so good purchase if...
Published 20 days ago by Mr Laurence Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars K Stroud, Engineering and Advanced Engineering Maths, 17 Dec 2004
Mr. Robert Davies "Rob Davies" (Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought both of these books while I was doing my A level Maths and am still using them while in second year Honours Degree Maths. I do buy other books as well which take the subject further but I invariably find that I always come back to these two wonderful books. My view is if you are an engineering student working to a budget; if you only buy two books ever, you'll not go wrong with these two

5.0 out of 5 stars the only books you really need!, 5 April 2005
Stefan Camilleri (Attard, Malta) - See all my reviews
i am reading for a degree in Infortmation Technology Engineering, after 8 years of working and no studying I needed a quick crash course in advanced mathematics to bring me up to speed with the other students in my course...
these books were suggested to me by a friend... what can i say... i never studied advanced mathematics and by simply (and patiently) studying these two books well i excel in maths compared to the other students...
these books are THE BEST books in maths you'll ever come across... especially if like me you want to teach yourself...
i recommend them to anyone who likes maths... university or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how to pass engineering maths exams., 3 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I am a second year Aeronautics student and I highly recommend this book. The best bit about the book is that all steps in calculations are included so you don't get lost which can be a problem in other text books. The work is set out in a well ordered way, broken down into many sections with constant exercises, tests and reviews. This allows you to follow methods of working step by step from easy examples to the much harder examples (the ones you need for the exams) and also makes each chapter quick to work through and understand. It really is all you could want in a maths text book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential engineering maths course in easy to learn format, 12 Feb 2000
By A Customer
To anyone who is about to undertake, or is indeed in the middle of any engineering degree, this book is a must. Like its sister book, Engineering Mathematics also by Stroud, the layout and style are cleverly designed to keep you working through the chapters. Don't do engineering without a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book for 1st/2nd year Engineering Undergraduates!, 23 Aug 2006
I can wholeheartedly say that Stroud's series (Engineering Mathematics and Advanced) helped ensure a good grade for my mathematics modules for my first year in Electrical/Electronic Engineering. It treats topics very systematically, gives summaries and tables, which are especially useful for those mechanical math techniques such as in integration, they are listed in a way so you can use it for quick reviews later as well. It explains concepts with good detail without being tediously daunting to read, it achieves what very few math books (in my experience) are able to. Advanced Engineering mathematics is helpful for some of the basic mathematical topics in 2nd year too, for instance Vector Calculus (Divergence thm., Curl etc), Z transforms , some of COnformal Mappings, Complex Integration etc.

It would be great if Stroud produced another version with the more advanced mathematical concepts and one for advanced statistics.

In any case if you are in your first two years as an Undergraduate in any Engineering course, this series is a must-have!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only maths books you need to buy!, 25 Mar 2005
By A Customer
I was advised to buy Engineering mathmatics as part of my 1st year physics course and have since not had to buy another maths related text book other than Advanced engineering mathmatics. Both books cover every area of maths i have so far needed. i even find i can teach myself stright out the book with no prior knowledge. excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 16 Aug 2005
Advanced Engineering Mathematics is the second of Ken Stroud's books. It again takes the programmed study approach used in the first book (Engineering Mathematics), and is aimed principally at the second year of undergraduate engineering courses, although some topic areas could equally be found in A level and HNC/HND mathematics courses.
My opinion? Quite simply absolutely excellent! Engineering Mathematics and Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Ken Stroud are just about all you will need for an engineering degree course to deal with any problems you will have with the principal areas of the mathematics. Remember, I have been where you are (or are going) and you can take it from me, these books are not only an investment but almost certainly the best mathematics books you will ever own. They will pay for themselves time and time again when you hit the mathematical wall! There are some similar books around these days, but these books are the real McCoy. To be without them on an undergraduate engineering degree course is simply unthinkable. It would be like cutting your own throat mathematically speaking! GET THEM!! I guarantee you will not regret it.
A note to the authors and editor of these books....thank you for making mathematics a joy to learn. Your books are a major contributing factor in my degree success, and the success of countless thousands of other post and undergraduates alike. Thank you for making the effort to make mathematics a topic we can all enjoy, learn, and succeed in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Best Learning Investment You'll Ever Make!, 6 Sep 2005
By A Customer
I didn't take A-level maths, but convinced my university to let me take Engineering anyway because my Physics grades were good. Anyway, the my lectures required that I read these books (Engineering Mathematics and Advanced Engineering Mathematics) because with my background I was 'at risk' of not being able to complete the course, so I went right through both of them from cover to cover. The books go from the most simple Algebra all the way through to Complex Integration and Non-Linear optimisation. The books are unique in that they make it so easy to progress from one subject to the next in a gentle step-wise manner. The non-nonsense, clear style stopped mathematics feeling like a stuffy and in-penetrable subject.

I said that this was the best investment you'll ever make, that's because I picked up both of these books for 60 new. Without this material, I would not have a first-class engineering degree or a lucrative career writing scientific software. I still use the information I learned from these books on a daily basis.

Warning: Owning these books is not a silver bullet. You have to be committed to work through them end to end including using the examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This book is essential for Undergraduates studying an Engineering Degree course. Stroud's' books fill a vast deficit found in most higher level Maths text books, i.e. his books fill in procedural gaps other text books assume will be filled in while attending Lectures. Stroud does not 'assume', he teaches, and more importantly, he enables you to learn further complex subject matter after the knowledge gained with his novel techniques in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 26 Dec 2011
If you're doing an engineering (or even finance) course and you need a study programme to bring you up to speed with engineering mathematics then the 2 Stroud books are essential. A few weeks spent reviewing these helped me fly through the maths in a telecoms engineering Masters degree and I still refer to them in my daily work as a researcher A book like Kreyzig is a great compendium as you become more experienced but these will give you the foundations to tackle real world quantitative problems.
I've even known people who didn't feel they had the aptitude for engineering mathematics become wonderfully proficient by following Stroud's chapters and exercises. So if you're struggling and haven't invested in these books, what are you waiting for?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa3b445c)

Advanced Engineering Mathematics
Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Dexter J. Booth (Paperback - 17 May 2011)
38.91