Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2014
I bought this as a first year student hoping it would give me insight into what I would expect in sociology lectures. The idea behind the book (that it follows a new university student as she learns how to apply sociological thinking to everyday situations) is fantastic but I just feel that it didn't really live up to my expectations. There's too much focus on the students personal life that I feel it strayed away from the sociological idea that the particular chapter advertised. Would be a great read for someone a bit younger who needs the balance of a 'story' along with the complicated sociology ideas, but maybe not for actual uni students.
on 29 March 2013
As someone struggling to make sociology real to practice I found this book really helpful. It isn't a standard text, but it explains themes in ways that make sense.
on 16 January 2014
I highly recommend this book to anyone studying sociology for the first time. The engaging narrative explains many import aspects of social science theories in a way that is easy to understand and remember.

Lois, sociology student.