5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for social work students!
I am a 3rd year Social Work student currently on my second placement and I was very pleased when I came across this book. The first 2 chapters are very helpful in explaining how to get the most out of your placement, I certainly wish I had something as useful as this before I went on my first placement as it would have made it a lot easier!

When you are on...
Published on 8 Nov 2010 by Rachel

3.0 out of 5 stars brief but good
Brought this when embarked on my 2nd year placement. its a good book but gives a very brief overview of areas you will cover on placement. however easy to read and and understand
Published on 4 Feb 2012 by Jewels 267

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for social work students!, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)

When you are on placement it can feel like there is a lot expected from you and it is very easy to stress yourself out but this book clearly identifies ways of to manage your placement and take control of your learning. I particularly found it helpful when it discusses theories and how to implement them in your practice. It also includes models and short exercises to help you make sense of theories, values, interventions etc.

This book would be helpful for everyone at different stages, I'm sure I will find it beneficial for my final placement and probably even after my time at university is finished.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive guide for Students, 26 Feb 2011
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)
A neat and concise support book for any student undertaking a social work placement. It's small size is useful as it is more easily transported than other books of the same genre.

Easy to read sections, underpinning the crucial elements to be covered on a social work placement. However I do find that the topics jump around a little bit and could be ordered a little better - sometimes trying to find references to particular subjects is a little time consuming! But as a basic, it is all in there!

Not normally one to complete activities in academic books...a number of the ones in this guide are very useful indeed and actually feel relevant to your practice and learning.

Quotes and comments from real people are used throughout the book and this is a reassuring addition as it allows you to relate your own learning experience and it makes it a more personal read.

Most useful is the chapter on supervision as this can be a challenging element in social work practice.

I'd recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars books, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)
As it was my first placement, this book was fantastic and guided me through the expectations, including the reflective logs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 31 Dec 2012
SAMUEL TABI (WATFORD, Herts, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)
Very practical and gives excellent incite to what is expected of a social work trainee. Talks you through tasks and how to go about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)
this book is really good. I can't recommend it strong enough. it teaches everything one needs to know about placement

3.0 out of 5 stars brief but good, 4 Feb 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide to first placement, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)
Sets out expectations of placement supervisors, university and what you yourself should expect out of your placement to experience it to the max

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)
I love this book. I recently started placement and was completely lost, this book has helped to put things into context and gives really help tips for your portfolio, reflection and just getting through your placement A++++

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab, easy read guide to placements, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)
Great book! I found the book a nice small size, so I was able to carry it around day to day on placement. The book was a very easy read, where you are able to 'dip in and dip out' of subject headings, which is a must as there is so much other reading material to get through!!
Lots of thought provoking activities/excercises to complete.
I rate this book highly, as it answered a lot of questions I had whilst on my first placement. Only drawback is it has the National Occupational Standards instead of The current Professional capabilities Framework, hence the four star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars most recom, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Surviving Your Social Work Placement (Paperback)
Goof book i love it so mich. it is very very helpful in my sovisl work studies and praceme ment

Surviving Your Social Work Placement
Surviving Your Social Work Placement by Chris Gay (Paperback - 19 Mar 2010)
14.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available