5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally intelligent book, 19 April 2010
Mr. Peter Brown "Pete" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker (Paperback)
As a mental health practitioner I have found this book very useful in thinking about how emotions influence our lives. As Howe says at the very start of the book 'We are creatures saturated by feelings'. The book is easy to read and looks at the importance of being able regulate our emotions in order to function well, not just with our emotions and feelings, but in every sphere of life e.g. academically and socially. The concept of 'emotional intelligence' is clearly explained as are the conditions under which this is nurtured and developed. The book also gives a good developmental view of emotional development and the importance of attachment. How will it help social workers? Howe postulates that sensitive practitioners (who are emotionally intelligent) are more likely to work well with clients who, through their life experiences, are likely to be afflicted by all sort of difficulties, especially chronic stress. In common with other research, Howe states that the quality of the relationship between client and worker is the most significant way that positive change can be created as clients may then take the risk to change. This is in the context of a relationship where powerful feelings - often negative - can be tolerated and understood. In the beleaguered world of social work I found this a refreshing book that should be on all social work courses as a strong antidote to the bureaucratic and form filling endeavours that are robbing social workers of their most powerful assets - themselves (or their emotional selves, as Howe might say) . My only criticism is that among the therapeutic approaches considered, Howe does not mention the systemic approach, most popularly used in family therapy. As this is a common therapeutic framework used in both social work and child mental health settings, I wondered why it was absent. However, all in all, this is a great book that I will be using and referring to regularly in my work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Social Worker & emotional intelligence - a new way of thinking, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker (Paperback)
An interesting read about understanding emotional welfare with link to attachment theory and why people behave in certain ways at times of emotional stress.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for placement, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker (Paperback)
This book is easy to read and understand. It helps to guide students on their first placements to understand and use their emotions appropriately with regards to service users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker (Paperback)
I think David Howe is one of my favourite writers. I would recommend this book for anyone who is interested in how people communicate and what lies beneath. It explores more deeply the aspects that contribute to good communication and also helps you to understand yourself as a practitioner.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read with some thought provoking material, 27 Feb 2013
I have only dipped in and out of this book so far as reference material for an essay.
I feel that this may be the beauty of this book, I can refer back to it throughout my studies and future career to remind myself of the important factors required of an emotionally intelligent social worker.
It is easy to understand and very readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for my course work, 5 May 2012
This review is from: The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker (Paperback)
My uni course required me to have read a lot of the chapters in this book. It therefore cost less to purchase it rather than photocopy what I needed. It was invaluable for my assignments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellnet book from David Howe, 6 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker (Paperback)
I have read many books from David Howe and this expands on his attachment work and fits in well with working with families

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker (Paperback)
This book was on my reading list for my social work degree module. When I started reading it I loved it immediately. Very clear and has really made me think about my own reactions, emotions and responses to situations. It is easy to read and retain the information. I can't say a bad thing about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring back emotions, 23 April 2014
S. P. Draper - See all my reviews
This book covers the academic grounding about emotions and the part they do and should play in everyday social work. Helpful to emphasise the role of reflective supervision as opposed to no supervision or just time spent on management accountability.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker (Paperback)
a really good book in perfect condition
i found this reference book very valuable and it was fantastic value .

The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker
The Emotionally Intelligent Social Worker by David Howe (Paperback - 25 April 2008)
17.18