5.0 out of 5 stars Forget about Dan Brown!, 11 Sep 2010
This review is from: Studying the English Language (Paperback)
I've got the book on my lap as I'm typing this. It's actually been on my lap quite a lot, recently, fighting for my attention against lighter, more entertaining-looking books such as my cherished guides to LOST (yes, the series). So why are my cherished Lost books in an orderly row by the bed, and this one open on my lap?

Ok. You can read all the more predictable (though 100% deserved!) praise in the blurb - about it being 'essential reading' with chapters that can be 'read at one sitting' and have been 'thoroughly updated and revised'. But that's not what you want from a reader's review, right? So I'll be crystal clear. If you're looking for something to send you to sleep, this is not for you. If you're looking for convoluted bla di bla that forces you to read the same sentence 10 times over, and then give up - uh-uh, wrong place. This is a gripping read. Forget about Dan Brown. This is brimming with life, humorous, honest, personal - and very well written (trust me on this, I'm not easily pleased). Besides, what other textbook gives you swearwords without asterisks? Wait, don't buy it yet, I haven't finished! Find me another textbook that doesn't pussyfoot about Chomsky just because he's Chomsky, and tells you straight that it appears he wants 'a theory that describes language as it is if we don't have to bother talking'. Well, that's it, really! Brilliant!

This truly is one of those rare, eureka finds that are as informative and splendidly clear as they are enjoyable, and that you'll never want to resell on Amazon, like so many of your coursebooks! A book for life... I can think of worse ways to spend those £15.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Revision Aid, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Studying the English Language (Paperback)
Having studied a course in English Language this year at university I had to admit I was lost. Sitting in lectures just trying to put it all together going along was baffling and frustrating. Got recommended this text to try and bring clarity and it has to be said it was fantastic. Everything is broken down into easy digestible pieces with dynamic examples that really help clarify meaning. It is accessible and written simplistically to demystify topics that seemed initially horrifying!

The Life saver of Linguistic theory!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 11 Feb 2014
Everything was perfect!
I'm from Spain and my order was punctual, clean, in good condition...and it's an interesting book! I recommend it strongly!

Studying the English Language
Studying the English Language by Dr. Rob Penhallurick (Paperback - 9 July 2010)