on 22 August 2010
After reading The Book of Night Women by Marlon James I had high hopes for this novel, which unfortunately were not met. I found John Crows Devil was not as gripping as TBoNW; the topics, prose and charactors were less memorable and I could easily put down the book without withdrawl sysmptoms, a stark comparison to TBoNW. Worth a read if you interested in the general topic, but not as powerful as its predessor, sadly.
on 8 February 2016
This book promises a lot and, for the most part, delivers. The authentic dialogue really adds to the narrative and is easy to follow once you've got the hang of it. There are some genuinely funny moments but the pervading mood is very dark with some extreme language and situations. Stripped bare, the story is about an abused boy who later comes to seek revenge. To this, James adds religion, sex and violence, though his prose is often very poetic and beautiful. If I were to be ultra critical, I would say that the story gets to a certain point and sort of stays there, rather than gather in excitement. There is no 'wow!' moment in my view. Nevertheless, I would certainly recommend this book if you want to experience something different.
on 25 November 2015
Such a great writer. I read Mr James' man Booker prize winner first and just had to read more of his work. This is just as good.
on 10 February 2010
The author is authentic and powerful, I really enjoyed this book as well as 'The Book of Night Women'. Hard to put down!
on 1 July 2010
Magnificent piece of writing that I feel needs more publicity. Marlon please give us more.
on 15 February 2015
Fantastic storytelling. Epic narrative. Everyone should read this story.
on 8 February 2014
Highly recommended, however not as engrossing as his current novel The Book of Night Women. Read both, I dare you.
on 19 May 2016
Enthralling and most unusually-written novel that gives a totally new perspective to Jamaican life. A great read.
on 5 February 2016
Outstanding novel, can't believe it's a debut novel.
on 13 October 2010
The Book of Night Women was so raw and so to the point and this book is nothing like it. I simply did not get the point, it seems to go on and on about something and nothing and the characters are very flat and uninteresting.

I have tried but don't think I will finish it.