5.0 out of 5 stars We adore this book
Having borrowed this book from our local library and loved it to pieces, we are placing an order for this story as soon as we can.

Published on 18 Jun 2007 by A Book Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought
I bought this for my 2 year old daughter and 1 year old son thinking the repetitiveness of it would hold their attention and keep them entertained, however it didnt work out that way as they both get bored with hearing the same words over and over again, even though the animal pages are fun and a surprise its the pages in between that just dont keep their attention.
Published 7 months ago by Amanda DAloia

5.0 out of 5 stars We adore this book, 18 Jun 2007
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Hardcover)

Both myself and my two childen, aged 2 and 5 love this book. The story is very simple telling the tale of a young girl and her beloved toy monkey visiting the zoo. The language is simple and repetitive and my two children love reciting the words and shouting the animal names as loud as they can. The illustrations are fantastic and very easy on the eye.

My 2 year old loves this book so much that he has been taking to bed with him every night. I recommend this book to anyone who has young children whom I'm sure will love it as much as we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible, 7 Oct 2009
Edward G. Murphy "Edi Murphy" (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Paperback)
My 2 year old son adores this book. Very simplistic content & yet a million miles away from the series of increasingly unbelievable items that are "not mine". Beautifully illustrated & despite being static on a page, seems full of energy. It lacks the complexity of Gruffallo and Monkey Puzzle, but it's really not that kind of book.

It's an essential part of our car travel pack, and a regular bedtime story (even though it sparks him up instead of relaxing him). Thanks Emily, this is one of the most worthwhile childs books purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 24 July 2007
J. K. Eve - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Hardcover)
This book is just right for bedtime reading with little ones. It has repetition, a simple storyline and is beautifully illustrated. My son can't coment yet, but I'm sure he will as soon as he's mastered the art of speaking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 6 April 2008
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Hardcover)
This book is beautiful, easy words and simple yet gorgeous illustrations, my 15 month old son loves it especially as his favourite bed-time toy is a monkey who looks similar to the illustrations!! A perfect book for toddlers who love being read to!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what it is about this book but my baby is entranced, 23 Jun 2009
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Paperback)
we've borrowed this from the library and, like another reviewer, it's now on the shopping list. My 13 month old is entranced by it, definitely one of themost popular books we've borrowed. I love the fact that the little girl "apes" the animals, and that the animals are a change from the usual dog/ cat/ sheep/ cow.

All i have to do is get this book off the shelf and my son starts squealing with delight. Definitely recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply AMAZING, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Paperback)
We have been borrowing this book from the library, on and off for about 2 years and I finally decided that it is one to keep so have finally bought it.

I started reading this to both my children from about 18months old and they have LOVED it. How do I know this? Because , even when the book is not in sight my children have both repeated the rhythmic and repetitive story to me - it's pretty amazing to hear this from such young children. The simple but repetitive language encourages speech development and it is quiet poetic if you ask me. Additionally, the anticipation as they turn the page (They went to see............?) makes it and avid read for a young child.

My youngest child has always struggled to sit through a book (quite opposite to my eldest) but this book has captivated her.

Another point, are the beautiful illustrations which make this book a visual pleasure. Despite reading it SO many times, it was only recently I studied the pictures and discovered they give the reader a clue of who "Monkey and me" are going to see. I will be interested how long my kids will like this book because it is SO simple it may only hold the attention of a very young reader (under 5 maybe?) but only time will tell on that one and I am prepared to be surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Illustrations but could be a bit longer, 21 Oct 2008
J. Bloss "jethrox1" (Buckingham,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Paperback)
One of the lovely things about this book is the illustrations - they are so well drawn and are very charming. However, the book is a little repetitive and is almost like a song - it is a good opportunity for imitating the animals that the little girl and her monkey encounter. There is not really a story involved and I think it is suited to younger toddlers. Charming but not sure of its lasting appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely illustrations and a beautiful rhythm to the text, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Hardcover)
This is one of my 17mth old daughter's favourite books. It has a beautiful rhythm for reading, with suspense on one page followed by an exciting revelation of the animal on the next; She has started chatting along with the rhythm and finds it very exciting. The pictures are also very nicely done in a simple, evocative style. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for toddlers, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Hardcover)
We're now giving in and buying the book after having borrowed it on nearly every visit to the library over the past few months. Our daughter's 22 months and this book is one of her favourites; I'm not really sure why she needs the book itself any more since she was reciting it from memory in the car today complete with actions and appropriate monkey noises but the pictures are lovely. It is a very simple story but very easy to pick up and encourages attentiveness. It's also short but satisfying - perfect for that "last last last story" before bed. Our daughter obviously loves it. Several mornings when I've gone in to her, I've discovered that she has climbed out of bed, fetched the book and taken it back to bed with her during the night. Only 'The Gruffalo', 'Hug', 'Dig, Dig, Digging' and the Winnie-the-Pooh first mini library box set can claim such an honour, out of a bookshelf of around 100 books plus library books - select company indeed! I'd definitely put this on my list of good first birthday present books to buy; it would make a change from the usual suspects and is a guaranteed winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 25 May 2011
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Paperback)
Both of my children have adored this book. The very simple structure (Monkey and me, Monkey and me, Monkey and me, we went to see...) and repetition works well and they love the pictures. And it's the pictures that make the book. Ms Gravett is an illustrator and her pictures have a delight, a charm and warmth to them that is simply joyous. Buy in the largest size you can, as you're really buying it for the pictures.

My baby son likes this (although he clearly has no idea what's going on) and my 3 year old remains a fan. For the very young ones, The Odd Egg was also a big hit

Monkey and Me
Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett (Paperback - 4 Jan 2008)