5.0 out of 5 stars Had me enchanted
Suspend your disbelief for this glamourous, romantic, fairy tale-like book about goodness and how it always wins against shallowness or selfishness.

If you want a realistic, gritty book about the Russian revolution, don't read this. Eva Ibbotson, although she does have some sadness in the book, is writing a cheerful book that will have you chuckiling to...
Published on 3 Aug 2008 by Ms. Emily R. Nabney

3.0 out of 5 stars book as present
I purchased the book as a present.
when it arrived it was second hand and the pencil marked price was 1.99, but I was charged a lot more.
postage was more than the cost of the book.
Published 3 months ago by A M Shirsalkar

2.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Countess, 25 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Secret Countess (Paperback)
I wasn't particually enthralled by this book. It had a mediocre story line and it was very predictable, i think the average teen would find the language used a bit heavy going.
I think this is quite an old-fashioned book suitable for more mature readers who don't mind complex and formal language. The book also took a long time to get to the point; it was very long winded for the amount of events that were in the plot. I don't regret reading the book but i certainly wouldn't pick it up again for a re-read.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the reasons I no longer read modern teen literature., 5 Mar 2011
H Spooner (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Countess (Paperback)
Firstly, I should say this isn't a book I'd normally pick up, it was given to me by a friend so I felt I had to read it... Anyways...

I found all the characters completely two dimensional, Anna is just a perfect Mary-Sue who never does anything wrong, says anything wrong or does anything human at all. She is mealy a beautiful, quite girl who is incredibly boring. The Earl is completely spineless and the other servants are almost exactly the same in terms of character traits they just have different names.

The only character I actually thought was quite interesting was the finance... I really disliked that as soon as she said eugenics she was this obvious a 'bady', not because eugenics is a good thing at all, I'm just saying this was 1919 and it was, at the very least, an interesting topic at the time.

Also, I hate how OBVIOUS the whole book is, of course Anna ends up with the Earl, it practically tells you in the description of the book. I think if you like the sort of rubbish like Twilight, you might like it. It's simple, obvious and just about a girl waiting for a man to love her.

I'd suggest going and buying a copy of 'Rebecca' instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars good-ish, 9 Nov 2008
Susanna Rumsey "hi" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Countess (Paperback)
it has a broing start, so don't be put off, but the rest of the book is fine really. not the best book ever. Twilight is a must-read!!

ARRAY(0xa484b0a8)

The Secret Countess
The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson (Paperback - 1 Jun 2007)
5.24
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available