5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for classroom use.
Published on 1 Aug 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version: Super content marred by poor quality presentation
It is a shame to mark this as only 2 stars and I suspect if I had bought the paper version of the book I wouldn't have felt so disappointed by it. The story of Mandela's life is depicted in a way which makes it suitable and engaging for children. However, the extremely poor quality of the text on the Kindle meant that almost every page had large parts of the text which...
Published 3 months ago by penfold

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for classroom use., 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: Long Walk to Freedom (Hardcover)
I regularly use this book with my Year 6 classes when we complete work on biography / autobiography writing. It is a very child friendly book, which used the first person effectively. It is full of interesting facts and information, which the children find very interesting, especially as most of them have heard about Nelson Mandela in some form. It is well illustrated, with an appropriate level of reading to challenge pupils in Key Stage 2.

The only thing that would improve this book, is if it was available to use with an Interactive Whiteboard in CD-Rom form. This would allow whole class shared reading, with annotations and highlighting of the text, instead of me have to scan the book page by page and then faff with combining the double page spread together.

This is a great book, which I would highly recommend to parents and teachers alike, as something that they can share with their children. You'll also learn something yourself by reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Childrens Version of Mandela's life, 11 Aug 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Long Walk to Freedom (Hardcover)
To be honest this title was pretty hard to review as its seen as perhaps one of the most important biographies of the 20th century, the tale of a man of humble birth who stood up for the masses against the few and lived to tell the tale.

As most people are aware, Nelson Mandela is a hero to many and this offering, full of beautiful illustrations brings his story to life for the younger reader. It's simplistic, it helps explains his story and of course its done in such a delicate way that it really is enchanting. A great offering from Macmillan that really will help endear this title to a whole generation demonstrating how morals and beliefs can change the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent abridged version, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Long Walk to Freedom (Paperback)
I got a copy for my twins early this year when it was clear that Mandela was not long for this world and I wanted them to be aware of the hugely important role he played.

It's a lovely book and his story is simply told, with bright illustrations.

It's suitable for a more able 7+ reader and of course needs an adult on hand to help explain and discuss the issues it describes.

My children enjoyed it very much and were therefore very interested in the news coverage of Mandela's death and funeral.

Highly recommended book for all young readers interested in history and human rights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for children, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Long Walk to Freedom (Paperback)
My nine year old was really interested in the book and read it in one sitting. I also sent a copy to his nine year old cousin and both her and her seven year old brother have also enjoyed it. The pictures make it very accessible to children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Long Walk to Freedom (Paperback)
I got it from the library for my 7 year old grandson, we read it together and He enjoyed so much I bought him one. He cn now read it to himself

5.0 out of 5 stars Long walk to freedom, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Long Walk to Freedom (Paperback)
Great illustrations for the children to understand apartheid. Would recommend this for all children to read. An excellent example of an autobiography for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars long walk to freedom, 9 Dec 2011
E. R. Bottomley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Walk to Freedom (Paperback)
the item was exactly what I expected, and sent speedily so I was totally satisfied with it and the service recieved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool and the effort of the book is amazing, 31 Mar 2014
I chose this rating because of the effort of the words and content!it is absolutely brilliant and tells u all about Nelson Mandela

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief and to the point, 18 Mar 2014
Well told in an easy and brief way using pictures that any child would be able to understand. Good way to explain to a young child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book with a wonderful message., 14 Mar 2014
A lovely book beautifully and simply written for children. I enjoyed reading this with my 7 year old who was saddened by Mandela's struggle for everyone to be equal. My son is not black but it is a message I hope he will take to heart and act upon. We are all equal, rich, poor, black or white. We all deserve respect. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9d26aa14)

Long Walk to Freedom
Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela (Paperback - 3 Sep 2010)
5.59