5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction
Published on 8 July 2010 by AJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Unused
I bought this as I was told I needed it for my University course, I never actually needed it so I can't really leave any feedback
Published 4 months ago by S.A.Checkley

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction, 8 July 2010
This review is from: An Introduction to Social Anthropology: Sharing Our Worlds (Paperback)
Ritual, kinship, ethnography, it's all here. An update to her original book, this is maybe not as well illustrated as it could have been, but is still a fantastic introduction to social anthropology. Whilst its range of topics means that it might not be in depth enough for those that have already studied anthropology, I found it very engaging and readable for background knowledge when I first started studying. For that reason, I would advise it for anyone considering studying anthropology at university, or even those just interested in finding out more about the subject. Also, and (arguably) most importantly, it is on the Royal Anthropological Institute's recommended reading list for the Anthropology 'A' level which is due to start for the first time in September (2010) - I certainly feel that this will become essential reading for sixth formers fortunate enough to study this subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, easily readable introduction, 16 Aug. 2010
This book was mainly written for students in social anthropology, but the author's very clear, jargon-free language and the book's progressive structure make it accessible to anyone interested in the basics of social/cultural anthropology.

Besides defining key-concepts such as taboo and purity, gifts, exchanges and reciprocity, the notion of symbol, the status of "art", cosmology, law and social control or family,kinship and marriage, Pr Hendry presents the origins of social anthropology, how it has evolved with our own society, and the challenges that science is facing in our present global world where new technologies (planes, mobile phones, the Internet etc), tourism, and frequent migration movements have allowed more and more people from different cultures to meet and interact. The author also mentions what she or other anthropologists think social anthropology can bring to those who work or live in multi-cultural contexts.

The techniques used by anthropologists aren't really dealt with: this is an introduction to the subject. Numerous references are made to essays or articles which are listed at the end of each chapter in a commented "References and Further Research" section, together with references to websites, films and even novels.

Even though you might like to alternate each chapter of this "Introduction to Social Anthropology" with some "lighter reading", Pr Hendry's book is a very pleasant read thanks to its clear, lively style and the many examples from real anthropological observations from the author's own field work or by other anthropologists. It is definitely accessible to all those who are interested in the subject. No previous knowledge is required.
(Review of the second edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 8 May 2012
The last too reviews say it all, so I'm not going to say it all again, I will just support them and say they very accurate in what they say, so in short this book is well worth getting and is a great read. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, 19 May 2012
I read that this book was easy to read but one should read two chapters and then pick up another book. I was so fascinated by this author that I hardly put the book down.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting and easy to read, 27 Oct. 2012
This books introduces the main concepts and terminology of social anthropology as well as the main topics of research, with a simple vocabulary and nice examples. It's a good recommendation if you want to start studying anthropology and you want to have a better idea of what it is about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy Hendry - Social Anthropology, 27 May 2014
I bought this for my son prior to a Cambridge HSPS Interview. He didn't actually read it in the end; choosing to read source books such as The Nuer instead. I did and it has encouraged me to delve further into the subject. So many references, if only I was 40 years younger!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and wide ranging, 30 Sept. 2013
Introduced me to new discipline. Very clearly written in accessible language. Bibliography gives firm foundation for further study' Superb case-studies

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug. 2014
Very pleasant and quick purchase. Thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unused, 11 Nov. 2014

An Introduction to Social Anthropology: Sharing Our Worlds
An Introduction to Social Anthropology: Sharing Our Worlds by Professor Joy Hendry (Paperback - 31 Jan. 2008)