5.0 out of 5 stars All Poured Out!
Published on 23 Nov 2009 by Bob Salter

2.0 out of 5 stars Only good for keen fishermen
After reading the rave reviews about this book and also loving the film, I got it on my Kindle but found myself skipping pages and pages of descriptions of the fly fishing, the bait, the lines, the rods, the currents etc etc......I've given up on the book now to be honest, but if I was a keen fly fisher I'd probably love it.
Published 6 months ago by Ms. R. G. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars All Poured Out!, 23 Nov 2009
Bob Salter "Captain Spindrift" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A River Runs Through it and Other Stories (Paperback)
Sometimes when an author's words are possessed of such crystalline truth, purity and beauty, it is easier to simply let the words do the talking. These words are from Norman MacLean's wonderful little novella "A River Runs Through it". They sparkle with the same shimmering clarity as a star on the bright clear waters of the Big Blackfoot River in Montana where the author fished.

"It is those we live with and love and should know who elude us."

"Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them.

Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that fish will rise.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."

Beautiful words that blur the distinction between prose and poetry like the canyon half light. How tragically true it is that we often fail to understand those closest to us. On my computer at work I have these words above a photo of my family. Yes, I have unashamedly girlified my work place. I have in fact out girlied the girlies! These words remind me of just how precious a thing time is and that I am slowly being poured out. I strive to understand my own family and to assemble the building blocks of loving relationships. It is not always easy, and I feel the failure keenly, for it is I that am often to blame. As I run the steep downland hills above the village where I live, I often return in the dark winters gloaming to see the lights of the village twinkling below me. There I stand briefly suspended in time and space, and I am reminded of these words. But these are my words! I too am haunted by waters.

Apart from the Bible these are some of the most powerful and moving words that you are ever likely to read. Highly, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Beautifully Written Novellas, 25 Jan 2006
MrShev "mrshev" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A River Runs Through it and Other Stories (Paperback)
The book is three stories, but A River Runs Through It is the pick of the bunch that is as emotionally charged in print as it is in celluloid. The story is about more than fly fishing, but fishing is the glue that binds in this tale. The author captures the majesty of the region perfectly and the joy of being with people that you love doing things that you love on a beautiful summers day.
I would say that this is more evocative than anything else, but one feels that it would have been an honour indeed to have met the author. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, brave and funny, 21 Mar 2004
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A River Runs Through it and Other Stories (Paperback)
To say that someone is living in the past is usually an insult, but Norman Maclean's early life was so momentous that you could hardly blame him. As the helpful introduction to this work explains, he was living at the end of an era, when the great days of the Wild West and the frontier spirit were coming to an end.
Perhaps above all A River Runs Through It is a hymn to the restorative power of nature. You get the idea that Maclean was not overly impressed with modern life and throughout these stories his voice rings out beautifully, bravely and more than a little sardonically. This a wonderful glimpse of life in the early years of twentieth century rural America.

5.0 out of 5 stars One quote sticks out..., 3 Nov 2007
This review is from: A River Runs Through it and Other Stories (Paperback)
One passage amoungst many sticks out from this book that is full of wisdom if you take the time to read closely and relate it to the many aspects of your life and the lives of others:

He thought back on what had happened like a reporter. He started to answer, shook his head when he found he was wrong, and then started to answer. "All there is to thinking," he said, "is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."

This book should be read by anyone seeking an understanding of life. If you've seen the movie, give the book a try. The combination of both will give a feel for a moment in one man's life and a lifetime of reflection. Both are superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fishing and the meaning of life, 5 Jan 2014
If I had to only read one book about Zen and fly fishing this would be it.
The reflections of Old Norman on his youth and what was lost by words not being said are so poetic
The last lines of the book as it all "I am haunted by waters"
it's one of the books I go back to again and again unforgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars River runs through it, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: A River Runs Through it and Other Stories (Paperback)
Wee written book that tells the story of a time that has now gone but only just over the horizon.
Film did the book proud...

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classis, 11 Mar 2013
This is is a literary gem, very approachable and extremely poingnant. It is the true story in the form of a Novella, told through the eyes of a much older man, about growing up as a young boy in Montana and his relationship with his strict Presbyterian minister father and wayward brother. As the brothers evolve into young adults all three men's lives diverge; but they remain united by a common passion for flyfishing and the beauty of the virgin Montana countryside of that era - the film of the same name, directed and narrated by Robert Redford is well worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for fishermen, 11 Mar 2013
This book is great for anybody keen on fishing and Canada and has been was turned into a film a few years ago a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the film!, 27 Dec 2012
But still worth a read. The other short stories are interesting, too. There is better American Literature. Waldon springs to mind, and some of the books by Wendell Berry.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderment, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: A River Runs Through it and Other Stories (Paperback)
A really beautiful book full of the most amazing descriptions of fly fishing and of the wilderness around.
The human story was also compelling. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

ARRAY(0xaa5a67c8)

A River Runs Through it and Other Stories
A River Runs Through it and Other Stories by Norman Maclean (Paperback - 8 Oct 2001)
7.65