on 26 May 2014
No self-respecting copyeditor would be without this manual - especially as it is the usual style guide for most publishers. While we may not always agree 100% with some of the rules, we still need to respect them. This is an absolute necessity - and it is clearly written.
on 20 December 2010
This is a must-have for anyone who is editing work for the American market, and who needs to know how Americans prefer puntuation, spelling etc. Everything you'll need to know is in here regarding the correct way of doing things. Any proofreader or editor will come across something that needs clarifying and will find the help given here really invaluable. I can't do without this book.
on 15 April 2013
This is an extremely useful manual for writers, editors, and students using Chicago style. I first had the 30 day trial for the online version of the manual and though it wasn't bad I thought the hard copy would be more useful and easier to navigate. I was not wrong. The only negative comment I would make is that the book arrived with slightly dented pages. Not really a problem, but considering the price it was a bit unfortunate. Otherwise, very speedy and prompt delivery, as always.
on 7 December 2011
If you are writing US English you'll need this as much as sharp pencils (or the equivalent in keyboard and text editing software) and a serious dictionary - Chicago recommends both the oldish Websters "3rd new international" and their "Collegiate" (my preference). While you're at it, I recommend you let the ultra thin "Elements of Style" by Strunk & White drop into the basket a well: I carry mine with me!
Do not hesitate: Buy the "Chicago".
on 14 October 2014
I work as a proofreader and simply could not work properly without this book at hand. There is so much in it yet it never seems difficult to find an answer to anything. Absolutely essential if working with material that requires adherence to the finer points of difference between American and British English.
on 16 February 2011
There is much to learn. I need the CMS to know what I do wrong by some accepted standard, or to check how things should be formed nowadays, as standards and rules slowly change. I hope the 16h ed. will appear as a CD soon at an affordable price too.
on 26 February 2014
As an English Author I have to say I prefer The Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors and Hart Rules - however this book is comprehensive and has everything you need for consistent style and American English.
on 23 October 2013
Consistency is key to style and with this book a writer can be sure of being consistent as it is clear and easy to understand and very comprehensive. I don't know how I did without it till now!
on 12 June 2014
I have several style guides for reference during translation work. This one is rapidly becoming my favourite ... which surprises me given how irritated I often am by some American (ab)use of English. Its main competition is the New Oxford Style Manual, which is authoritative, if a little "old school". Of the two I consider this book better when writing in English for a modern global audience.
on 11 July 2013
I'm a writer and freelance editor/proofreader and this book is my bible. I use it for every little query I have and it never lets me down. I'd be lost without it!