5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite
Published 2 months ago by Gareth Greenwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Chicago manual of style
This is certainly a seminal work for anyone editing or proof-reading material in American English. The particular book that I purchased is in mint condition and I'm very satisfied with it!
Published on 28 April 2012 by JessMn

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style: The Essential Guide for Writers, Editors and Publishers (Hardcover)
I have several style guides for reference during translation work. This one is rapidly becoming my favourite ... which surprises me given how irritated I often am by some American (ab)use of English. It's main competition is the New Oxford Style Manual, which is authoritative, if a little "old school". Of the two I consider this book better when writing in English for a modern global audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Copyeditors' bible, 26 May 2014
No self-respecting copyeditor would be without this manual - especially as it is the usual style guide for most publishers. While we may not always agree 100% with some of the rules, we still need to respect them. This is an absolute necessity - and it is clearly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicago Manual of Style, 20 Dec 2010
This is a must-have for anyone who is editing work for the American market, and who needs to know how Americans prefer puntuation, spelling etc. Everything you'll need to know is in here regarding the correct way of doing things. Any proofreader or editor will come across something that needs clarifying and will find the help given here really invaluable. I can't do without this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Item, 26 Feb 2014
As an English Author I have to say I prefer The Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors and Hart Rules - however this book is comprehensive and has everything you need for consistent style and American English.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have for all writers, 23 Oct 2013
Consistency is key to style and with this book a writer can be sure of being consistent as it is clear and easy to understand and very comprehensive. I don't know how I did without it till now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, 11 July 2013
I'm a writer and freelance editor/proofreader and this book is my bible. I use it for every little query I have and it never lets me down. I'd be lost without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars For style a Necessity, 14 May 2013
Dr. G. Kennedy (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Comprehensive, though I am uncomfortable with US spelling. Authoritative and it will help you when preparing your manuscripts for publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 15 April 2013
This is an extremely useful manual for writers, editors, and students using Chicago style. I first had the 30 day trial for the online version of the manual and though it wasn't bad I thought the hard copy would be more useful and easier to navigate. I was not wrong. The only negative comment I would make is that the book arrived with slightly dented pages. Not really a problem, but considering the price it was a bit unfortunate. Otherwise, very speedy and prompt delivery, as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference work, 18 Jan 2013
Roderick D Crews (Frome, Somerset, GB) - See all my reviews
Set out very well, as you'd expect, and whatever you want to query seems to be dealt with in professional style. Recommended highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Standards and rules, 16 Feb 2011
There is much to learn. I need the CMS to know what I do wrong by some accepted standard, or to check how things should be formed nowadays, as standards and rules slowly change. I hope the 16h ed. will appear as a CD soon at an affordable price too.

39.58