Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 April 2014
‘The Oldest Living Things in the World’ photographed and written by Rachel Sussman is an impressive collection of beautiful photos and high-quality texts that lead us through history to the present, raising many interesting questions about our future.

The artist Rachel Sussman for last ten years conducted an extensive research helped by the biologists, travelling around the world and taking photos of the flora that is 2 000 years old or even older.

With her pictures taken all around the world, in the areas with eternal snow, or places where a drop of rain has not fallen for an eternity, Rachel has managed with her objective to convey emotions and beauty of ancient life which is kind of hard to express in words - it must be seen and felt in her photographs.

Except the reader can enjoy her photographs, equally valuable, educating and useful are the author texts, among other things, based on the work of scientists which explored the subjects of her photos – they will occupy readers, offering the opportunity to learn about the many beauties and variety of life on Earth for which unfortunately we realize how little do we know after the last page of her impressive book is closed.

80 000 years old colony of aspen trees in Utah, moss older than 5 000 years on Antarctica and almost 44 000 years old shrub on Tasmania are just some of the jewels of which you will find out between the covers of this book, about which you probably just like I did not know anything.

Therefore, ‘The Oldest Living Things in the World’ is both a work of art thanks to the photographs author provided, a scientific work because of the writings found inside - in a word, breathtaking comprehensive experience given by Rachel Sussman which you will continually enjoy, just like me since I picked up for the first time this book in my hands.
on 16 November 2014
The photos in this book are not very good quality, they look like they have not been taken professionally. I was hoping to see something more visually pleasing, considering this is primarily a book of photos.
on 17 October 2014
I felt it should have been more dramatic and interesting. I have a passion for trees and veteran trees in particular and this book somehow didn't drive my interest. Perhaps too factual?
on 2 February 2015
Nice book, both in terms of the text as well as the pictures. Even though some of the reviewers of the book on this website complain about the quality of the pictures, I think that they are good takes, they are just not heavily post-processed and therefore they might look unprofessional. The overall quality of the book in terms of paper, layout and editorial features in general is good.
on 2 January 2015
In a few words: The best story on TED and the most impressive book documentary I've seen. It gave me the same feeling I get when on a summer night I'm in the field, watching the Milky Way in the stars - small, silent and thankful I'm allowed to be part of this universe and this world. Mrs Rachel Sussman: Thank you for sharing these wonderful encounters with the rest of us.
on 12 April 2015
A good present, an interesting book
on 2 May 2014
A friend shared her video and I ordered the book on the back of that. It is not only fascinating, but also a real meditation into the stillness and longevity of living things. I love the layout and love this book.
on 27 July 2014
The detailed information and outstanding photography
makes this book a must-have for anybody interested
in biology. An ideal gift!
on 1 January 2015