3.9 out of 5 stars3,033
Format: HardcoverChange

on 27 December 2013
What a shame, I loved the first two books. This one is boring, badly written and uses text conversations and Twitter rubbish far too often. Plus, what is the point of having a book about Bridget without Mr Darcy? Should have left it at 2 books- had to force myself to finish it.
on 17 February 2014
I have been a Bridget Jones fan for years now so was really pleased when a new book came out. I was expecting a more sophisticated Bridget than what was in this book.

I was surprised that Bridget would have a 3 year old when she was pushing 50. Bridget visited an Obesity Clinic at a size 14/16 and was still having the same issues with her mother which i didn't find as funny this time round. I thought that as Bridget was the widow of Mark Darcy (someone who was well known by all Heads of State apparently) she would have had an element of grace about her now and had grown up into a more mature and together person. This is not the case in this book. I found the jokes regarding kids i.e. nits, the runs, vomiting, school run chaos, birthday parties etc almost cringe worthy to read. Then of course there was the "perfect mom" gag who later becomes her friend. This felt like I was reading a sitcom at one point.

Bridget then embarked on an affair with a tomboy having lost all her weight in about three weeks. This felt very uncomfortable to read as Bridget again becomes needy (something I expected her to grow out of). Daniel Clever is in the book as the children's Godfather having been forgiven by Mark and now their best friend again. Although at the end of the book Bridget and her new man decide to have a joint christening for their children instead of a wedding to cement their new relationship. I didn't know you could christen children twice. No mention of Daniel being the Godfather was mentioned. I felt that Daniel Clever's character was just to give Hugh Grant a part when the movie comes out. Then of course there was half of the book about Bridget writing a screenplay, acting unprofessional in meetings and then not writing the screenplay at all.

I was really disappointed with this as the whole book felt like someone had a look at what the most popular xbox games are, which kids programmes are top rated, added some Twitter talk and threw in a few jokes about them to try get on a level with other parents. In fact, the constant Twitter talk and text chat got a little much in the end.

I felt more could have been done with Bridget's character than have her not know how to cook, look after her children, get to school on time, turn on the TV, find a man or keep a job when she is almost 50.
on 26 August 2014
Well, Helen Fielding, you are forgiven for killing off Mark Darcy. I can see why you did it. For Bridget to live in marital bliss just wouldn't work for a whole new novel. The passages in which we share Bridget's struggle with her new lot in life are truly heart wrenching, and the parts where we realise that a leopard doesn't change its spots and our Bridget is still as mad as a box of frogs are so hilarious that I just couldn't out this beautiful gut wrenching, out-loud-laughmaking novel down. It was a tears-of-joy stained early morning ending for me, not least at the mixed emotions that mean whilst we know that'll surely be it for our beloved Bridget, we can see she is in safe hands once more xx
on 25 November 2013
Although I read the book for some light relief from heavier, more valuable reading, this book is so shallow it is boring, and I believe would never have been published if it wasn't for the success of the films. The plot is totally predictable and transparent and as per The Edge of Reason, Fielding regurgitates the same jokes; thankfully this time there wasn't yet another fight scene. The character 'Bridget' has always been the appeal for me, which previously enabled me to tolerate the weak story telling, but I found it difficult to even enjoy Bridget in this book; Fielding made it all too easy for her and there was nothing and no one to root for, particularly as the ending was obvious by about an 8th of the way through the book.
Fielding writes that she cried when she listed the many people who had contributed in her acknowledgements, and in her shoes I would have been crying in shame; I suspect that Teenagers have written better books without any of the assistance or the financial incentive that Fielding had. I'm just pleased that I borrowed it rather than buying it!
on 14 October 2013
I'm not giving this book one star lightly. Indeed, the writing is at the upper end of chick lit and Bridget is an immensely likeable character despite being completely unchanged by the last 15+ years. If this had been a story about another fifty-something called Jane Smith or if this was the first time I'd read any of the Bridget Jones series I'd be giving it at least two more stars. However it wasn't and it's not.

Here come the spoilers*****
Since we left Bridget to live happily ever after with Mark Darcy they've had a few years of very happy marriage, then she lost her dad to cancer and had two gorgeous children. When her youngest child was three months old Darcy goes and gets himself killed doing noble things for a good cause, leaving her financially secure and never having to work again. Bridget has spent the proceeding four years being sad, getting fat changing nappies and not having sex. And only now does the third instalment dip into Bridget's infamous diary?? Sorry did Fielding feel none of the above would make a good novel? Well perhaps the next year of or so of Bridget's life was going to be totally mind blowing?

Errr no. Bridget is back at square one. Disastrous dates, too many self help books, diets galore, crazy supportive friends and a selection of suitors with the plot throughout the book being which will she end up with. Instead of career drama and office politics we now see Bridget drawn into childcare drama and playground politics and we have the added issues around dating in an Internet age. Daniel Cleaver made up with Mark before his death and is still around to provide amusing cameo appearances, sadly he's not around enough to rescue this poor third instalment. Essentially it's the same book as the original Bridget Jones' Diary with more money, children and twitter. Yes I'm someone who was gutted Mark had been killed off but he is just a fictional character and I thought perhaps Bridget's character would go somewhere new because of it. She did, Twitter. The twitter/texts/email conversations and Bridget's sudden obsession with social media was v.dull and somehow felt dated already. Just like the private school, middle-class, playground politics which were nothing more than classic chic-lit cliche.

I will confess Bridget's interactions with her children are both touching and amusing and by far the best bits of the book. Occasionally we are given glimpses of her life with Mark and it's heartbreaking being told about shared laughter over childcare issues and dinner parties they attended where Mark had Bridget's back in times of social faux pas - that's the book I wanted to be reading. Instead she goes on dates with unsuitable two dimensional characters that I don't care about. She obsesses about her weight and whether these guys will call her back or not. ***more spoilers*** The book was a slow read that I stuck with thinking, perhaps by the end she'd grow up and bravely accept a life alone with her kids, or die or something a bit more original. No she ends up with someone I don't care about and lives in quasi-happiness (until he dies for the fourth instalment of course :-)

I've never regretted reading a book as much as I regret reading this one. There is more to life than the search/chase/capture of 'the one'. There's all the good stuff that comes after. I invested time and emotion reading two books all about Bridget's successful pursuit of Mark Darcy. For the next book to have skipped over this good stuff straight into miserable singleton again, well it feels like I wasted my time with the other books , especially when Bridget remains largely unchanged by years of happy marriage followed by a young widowhood. Let's hope they keep the tradition of the films being nothing like the book to the degree that the film starts 10 years earlier. It won't be a film I'll be watching anyhow now the magic is ruined.

If you are a Bridget Jones fan, do yourself a favour and avoid this book like the plague.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2013
this is a travesty - a book about nothing with a heroine that doesn't have the appeal she did int he earlier books. Not worth the money
on 12 January 2014
I read the reviews for this book but bought it hoping that perhaps everyone was being harsh and judgemental. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I am one of the early day Bridget Jones fans who started with the newspaper series and then moved onto the book. I could relate to book Bridget as her experiences were things that could (had) easily happen to me. I was disappointed with the films at first as they were nothing like the imagined Bridget in my head. To me, she was a normal woman experiencing normal woman challenges and insecurities, and her fair share of embarrassments. The films turned her into a flailing blonde without a brain cell. She was nothing that I could relate to. It was only until years later that I was able to separate the book and the film and enjoy the film for the mindless humour that it offered.

The book is based on the film. You can read the book and see the film characters, particularly Daniel Cleaver. I can't identify with this Bridget in any way, and whilst I have had the book for 2 months I am less that a quarter of the way through and wondering whether to bother finishing it.

Really disappointing as I was once the original Bridget Jones 'singleton' fan and could relate so many of my experiences to the book Bridget. This book Bridget is just vacant and bland.

Apologies to the other original Bridget fans if this sounds harsh.
on 2 November 2013
Had been looking forward to this third instalment but found it tedious and boring. As previous reviewers have commented so many other directions this book could have gone in - Colin firth must be thanking his lucky stars mark Darcy been killed off if it ever makes it to film. Do we really care about Bridget's blue silk dress - no we don't!! Don't waste your time struggling to the end like I did - just a rehash of the first book!! Won't be reading any more from Helen fielding after this.
on 24 November 2014
I ever so nearly didn't buy this book because of all the poor reviews. However, I thought it was brilliant!! It made me laugh out loud in places and feel ever so sad in other places. So glad Bridget is back! Brilliant book. Would highly recommend and still can't understand all the negative reviews!!!
on 9 November 2013
I am quite enjoying this book but obviously it is not a patch on the first two.

I was widowed in my 30's with two young children and returned to the dating game 7 years later and Bridget's encounter with Leatherjacketman is embarrassingly familar! However I cannot accept the Bridget is now 51 years old. The age I am now. Nobody has commented on the fact she has two very young children which she must have had in her middle 40's. Why so late in life and isn't this rather unusual. Most women who have children this late have had IVF or have had their families and became pregnant accidentally during 'the change' or are celebrities and live on a different planet.

Also Bridget in the tree scene is wearing a thong and low rise jeans!! At 51! I like to think I am still quite a modern dresser but I threw out my low rises some years ago and stopped wearing thongs in my 40s when they became unfashionable and the butt of chav jokes. Also very uncomfortable. I now favour disgusting big pants but enough about me...

I would love to know if other 50 plus women are finding these things strange or am I the only one? I pride myself on my immaturity in middle age but Bridget puts me truly in the shade. I could not imagine her at any point being 51 and at one point had to Google that she was actually supposed to be this age.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse