5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful
This arrived yesterday as part of my Poetry Book Society subscription. I didn't chose it, I didn't know Sharon Old's work, I am not a great reader of contemporary poetry, but I loved this from the first page. This sequence of poems about the end of her 30 year marriage is beautiful and moving. They feel so true it is frightening: like an accident you don't want to look...
Published 20 months ago by jd

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad-eyed wife
Some beautiful poems, ideas and lines. But it gets a bit oppressive, as if she is wringing every drop of emotion from what was obviously a painful experience - and one which continues. But I passed saturation point.
Published 14 months ago by Peter Firth

5.0 out of 5 stars I am still getting there, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Kindle Edition)
Odd , this was recommended to me by my boss who loved it. Very different to my usual reading material..... it certainly makes you think... what would I do...one of the keepers awake at night.. love it , thanks to Sharon Olds and my boss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully written, very moving and sad. I imagine she has written what many people must feel when they get divorced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and powerful, 6 May 2013
A. Higson "Anna" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Paperback)
I teach A level English Literature and so was drawn to the subject matter of Stag's Leap. The anthology is both honest and powerful, with its portrayal of her marriage breakdown and all of the ensuing conflicting feelings. Stag's Leap is my favourite poem and is one that I will be discussing with my students. A lovely collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-breaking, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Paperback)
Very emotional writing - captures the pain of a break-up of a relationship very well, and also the development of coming to terms with the next phase.

Could provide supportive reading for anyone going through this type of separation.

4.0 out of 5 stars The end of love, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Paperback)
I am still reading it. I read about it in the Guardian. I think she is a brilliant poet. It is about a modern marriage, that ends after a long time. It's about love and the end of love. I recommend it to anyone who is long over a great love, and who likes poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Paperback)
It amazes me that someone can write so movingly. I have been back to read some of the poems several times already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stag's leap, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Paperback)
This s a moving and compelling collection. The beauty of it is, that each poem stands firmly to be read singly , or in sequence. the writing is strong, neither sentimental or mawkish which is a further tribute to the collection. It is rewarding to feel so close to the broader implications of loss, and the suffering it brings in its wake, in such a creative way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreak, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Paperback)
A friend recommended Sharon Olds poetry but warned me about the subject matter i.e. heartbreak! I just read a couple at a time - I cried a lot and although it is very painful to experience her heartbreak when her husband falls in love with 'a. n. other' and relive one's own pain in past relationship breakdowns she always manages to say something profound and true about love. It is the fact that she describes the joy of love so exactly that makes the end so very painful, as in 'unspeakable'
'to stand in his thirty-year ' When he loved me, I looked
sight, and not in love's sight out at the world as if from inside'
I feel an invisibility'

Or as in' The Flurry' I tell him I will try to fall out of
love with him, but I feel I will love him
all my life'

I cannot recommend this poetry highly enough - read her and recognise your own heartbreak - it is a genuinely cathartic experience for those of us burned by love and loss .

5.0 out of 5 stars hartbreaking, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Paperback)
Sharon Olds' has written some of the most beautiful, accessible love poetry of modern times. It arose from her long marriage to the man who, after 30 years, left her for another woman. "Stag's Leap" is a collection that describes what happened in that long and terrible process. Some was written shortly after the break, some years later. Throughout, Olds lays herself bare with a courage that is breathtaking. She is consistently unsparing and honest, but she is never cruel, never sentimental, never self pitying. Throughout, she remains generous and tender towards the man who was her lover and the father of her children.

"Stag's Leap" won this year's T S Eliot prize, and Olds has recently been described as "America's greatest living poet". It would be hard to disagree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 4 Mar 2013
Alison Warburton (Frodsham, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stag's Leap (Paperback)
I ordered this after hearing a snippet on a radio programme. It is the story of Olds' marriage breakdown and her journey back from heartbreak. Beautifully written, at times moving me to the point where it was painful to read, so raw was her grief. I really felt her pain. I am about to read it for the second time, now that I know that she does return to a point where there is hope for the future, and so hope not to feel so sad next time! Although it was so sad, it is enjoyable as well. Highly recommended.

Stag's Leap
Stag's Leap by Sharon Olds (Paperback - 4 Oct 2012)
7.00