Format: Album|Change

on 16 March 2016
Mary Talbot is a scholar and wife of the well-known artist and graphic novelist Bryan Talbot who illustrates this book.

It is partly her own childhood memories, dominated by her Joycean scholar father, and part biography of Joyce’s own daughter Lucia.

This is an informative and uneasy balance and if you skipped over the intricately chronological Lucia parts you might find it less of a dry read. Talbot’s own childhood is closer to our own, depending on your age dear reader, and we find more empathy with her trials and tribulations.

Bryan does a superb job on art duties as always clearly delineating the two stories using tone and texture. There are no straight panels here as every page has an organic warmth that presses frames together in an almost memory soup. For a non-fiction story there is a great deal of creativity and imagination in the expression of ideas and emotions.

The education of the Lucia story juxtaposed with the empathic memories of Mary is odd and a little understated in places but much more brave and interesting than either story alone.

on 4 April 2013
Read this book in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is moving and subtle and has interesting shifts in time. The drawings are clear and warm. Highly recommended - as a story about Joyce and his children and as a parallel story about the author. Lovely piece of work.
on 21 June 2013
"Dotter" is a graphic novel delicate, demanding and very evocative, with two levels of reading.
Writing Mary Talbot is articulated and drawings (by Bryan Talbot one of the pioneer of the graphic novel,) are phenomenal.
on 16 January 2015
I read this one as part of my reading list for a narrative and memory course (this comes under the "Graphic memoir" section) and I absolutely loved it. I particularly liked the elements about Lucia Joyce (being as I'm limping my way through Ulysses for the moment for the same course). It really was very revelatory about how a father can ruin their child's life. The story is interweaved with the story of Talbot's own childhood with a renowned Joyce Scholar as her own "cold mad feary father". In contrast with "Ulysses", this took me about an hour to read and I did it one sitting as I could not put it down. I would really recommend this graphic memoir. Brilliant
on 15 February 2013
Thought-provoking and beautiful intersection of lives woven across time and relationships between father and daughter. A beautiful book to own, enjoy and cherish.
on 10 May 2013
I can't wait for their next one. Great text and illistrations. I really recommend it. What more can I say (why do you want such long reviews???)
on 3 February 2013
I loved this book. Anyone who had a difficult relationship with their father can identify with the autobiography of Mary Talbot, and the illustrations drawn by her husband are excellent.

Though the story is sad, there is humour in the drawings which capture the irony of the harsh patriarchal upbringing and the struggle to survive of both Mary and Lucie Joyce.

Though the book doesn't take long to read, you want to read it again and again to see the many levels it functions on.
on 5 December 2013
This is a lovely book full of childish insights into the world of adults. lovingly put together and excellent value for money.
on 13 July 2013
Picked this up in the wake of a slew of reviews - definitely a worthwhile read, but not a book that one returns to. Grim stuff even in graphic novel format. Bookseller was marvelous.
on 17 April 2015
Thid is a novel in cartoon style with small speech bubbles. It is therefore unreadable on an e'reader as the font size cannot be enlarged. A waste of my money.