5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful
I had the opportunity to meet Ms. Morgan--a.k.a. Ms. Cupcake--at the Northern Vegan Festival in Manchester, and I bought some of her cupcakes. Once I came down from the sugar high, I knew I had to get a copy of her book. Never have I tasted such amazing cakes, vegan or otherwise. They were gorgeous, too.

While this cookbook doesn't boast hundreds of recipes,...
Published 15 months ago by Michelle Laurie

1.0 out of 5 stars Sinfully unbritish
I bought this book with the idea of finding British classics such as shortbread or scones and lots of cakes... if you are buying it for this purpose, forget about it. Personally, I don't find this book British/English centred AT ALL. The author herself admits some of the recipes are "Canadian/American inspired".

Some of the recipes I made (Victoria...
Published 15 months ago by Jonathan

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)

While this cookbook doesn't boast hundreds of recipes, the recipes it does have are so rich and decadent, and offer something different from the other vegan baking books out there. I have several, and I count this one as a great addition; it's not simply more of the same.

Here are a few of the things I love about this book:
* It's beautiful! There are photos of just about every recipe.
* Measurements are given both in grams as well as cups/spoons.
* The chart at the front of the book giving ingredient type and brand equivalents for US and UK bakers.
* A list of UK stockists at the back of the book.
* A blend of English and American recipes. (Jaffa Cakes and Jammy Dodgers...doesn't get much more English than that.)
* It doesn't rely heavily on egg replacer.

Thus far I've made the Lemon Cheesecake Cupcakes, Chocolate Cake (adapted from the Turkish Delight Cake), and Victoria Sponge. Victoria Sponge is a cake I'd not yet had any luck with making vegan. It turned out fantastic. I used the cream cheese icing, and everyone who had it loved it.

Here are a few tips/points to consider with this book:

-Most of the recipes call for self-raising flour. I never bother keeping this on hand. Instead, I substitute. For every 1 cup of self-raising, use 1 cup of regular flour + 1 teaspoon baking powder + teaspoon salt (this is why the recipes do not call for salt). This is in addition to the baking powder called for in the recipe.

-From what I've seen, the recipes don't call for sifting. I usually sift flour. I occasionally sift icing sugar if it's a bit lumpy, and I *always* sift cocoa powder. For flour, I often just stir it with a whisk, which does pretty much the same thing.

-I've always needed to add about 10 minutes to the suggested baking times.

-I find the icing recipes make an enormous quantity, so have always cut them in half. For the Victoria Sponge, where I only wanted a small amount, I quartered it. Worked great.

I've compiled a list of all the recipes so you can see what you'll get:

-Cupcakes & Muffins-

Strawberry Buttercream
Chocolate Spread Topping

-Cakes-

Victoria Sponge
Turkish Delight (can be made as a chocolate cake)
Rhubarb and Custard Cake

Deep-Fried Cookie Dough Balls
Various Easy Sweet Treats

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
Daughter just found out dairy intolerant everything we have tried so far is brilliant
even 10 year old granddaughter made some and got 2nd place in village fete

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST vegan cakes EVER!!, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
I am not vegan but my daughter has allergies to eggs and dairy. I have tried many vegan and eggless cake recipes to which often come out dense, crumbly or just taste odd.

Yesterday I made the Victoria sponge, the texture was light and fluffy and it tasted just as good (if not better) as any other cake made with eggs and butter. My search for the perfect eggless cake has ended and I intend to work my way through most of these recipes. I am looking forward to the second edition

Tip - If you do not intend to decorate your cakes with buttercream and icings then add more sugar to your cake batter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A HIGHLY RECOMMENDED MUST HAVE!!, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
WOW! Just WOW!! A can't put it down vegan cake & cookie recipe book absolutely jam packed with gorgeous recipes and glossy pics. The format is written in a down to earth, fun way and the entire book is just a joy from start to finish. I can't wait to get stuck into those bakewell tart cupcakes, absolute heaven!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars naughty and delicious, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
met ms cupcake at the allergy show in olmypia last week and we found her cakes divine - no deprivation at all, they were totally decadent - just what i need going vegan from veggie. the book is a joy, full of inspiration and easy to follow recipies with ingredients available in the uk easily enough from the supermarket. also shows uk/usa conversions and tips for all recipies to be made gluten free. she was a lovely lady to meet too and her team (pics in book) look really cool, like a glam retro 50s family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, even for non vegans, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
Ms Cupcake is my local bakery in Brixton. It's hard to find cakes in Brixton (it's an eclectic area, but not a necessarily cake-friendly one!), and I fully admit that I buy their amazing mint chocolate chip cupcakes for the frosting. So when I realised that they were releasing a cookbook of their popular cupcakes, cookies and other treats, I was unbelievably excited!

If you're not familiar with Ms Cupcake, you might not know that they only make vegan cupcakes. If you're a a fan of vegan treats, then I'm sure you'd be very interested in this cookbook (because delicious vegan cupcakes are hard to find), but I'd even recommend this if you're not a vegan baker, simply because the flavours are incredibly rich and delicious - and let's be honest: we should probably all work on cutting down on dairy. Accordingly, when I baked, I took the lazy substitution (I used regular butter rather than non-dairy margarine.) Some of the ingredients may be difficult to find for those who aren't experienced vegan bakers, but there are some lovely recipes - definitely worth the ingredient hunt!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best vegan dessert book in the world, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
Finally a vegan dessert book made for people who live in the UK.
The pictures look great. I can't wait to try some of the recipes.
The person who put 1 star I think they were looking at the wrong book. vegan desserts taste far better than there dairy counterparts. Judge for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
I cannot recommend this book enough. It's for all cake lovers not just us freaky eaters.
The recipes are easy to follow and don't require loads of specialist ingredients, you've probably got most of it in your cupboards already.
I've only had the book a week and already blitzed through most of the cupcake recipes, one muffin and the lemon slice.
I love having this much cake back in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever!!!, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
I have gluten sensitivity, an allergy to dairy and funny with eggs,
I have tried lots of recipes, but these are by far the simplest and Best gluten free vegan recipes i have ever tried!

You must buy this book! It really is Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town (Hardcover)
The recipes I have tried so far are amazing and very easy to make and great results every time - best vegan Victoria sponge cake recipe ever!
A beautifully presented book.

Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town
Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town by Mellissa Morgan (Hardcover - 9 May 2013)
11.89