5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!
Published 11 months ago by Mj Silverman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
After reading all the reviews here and other hype I was truly excited about getting this book. I bake a great deal - and had become a bit jaded with the books on my shelves. I was hoping this book would give me a bit of inspiration and a lift. Admittedly, it is very well researched and the historical sections are interesting. However - looking through it I didn't find...
Published 4 months ago by Katrina Wood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 14 Nov 2013
Mj Silverman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great British Bakes: Forgotten treasures for modern bakers (Hardcover)
Right! Anyone interested in this book, I URGE you to order it, especially if you also have an interest in history! It's a stunner, and I am going to have a lot of fun baking from it! It's quite chunky (352 pages) and packed with recipes from Tudor times to WWII. Mary-Anne has included many recipes from old manuscripts, some have a photo of the original, but using language, ingredients and modern methods. It's quite clear she has done a LOT of research, and she hasn't allowed anyone to rush her quite rightly, and boy does it show! The book is divided into Large Cakes, Biscuits, Gingerbread, Pastry, Puddings, Small Cakes, Yeast and Bits and Bobs. Just one of those chapters Gingerbread is 18 pages long and has 7 different recipes plus variations - I love gingerbread so can't wait to have a go! Every recipe in the book has a preamble in Mary-Anne's distinctive style, you can almost hear her speaking to you, and very clear concise instructions. I put this one on my wish list ages ago, and have been eagerly awaiting its arrival ever since, and it does not disappoint. It's a cracker! In my humble opinion the best book to have come from the Bake Off so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can not put this book down, 20 Nov 2013
I absolutely love this book. The way it is written, presented, the recipes, everything. I'd go as far to say it's quite possibly one of the best books I have bought and baked from. (I have been collecting baking and cake decorating books since I was a kid!) I whole heartedly agree with the two previous reviews.

I made the first recipe in this book which is a very simple apple cake. It was an egg free recipe which was so light and fluffy and delicious. Just can't decide what's going to be next.
This will make a great gift or treat for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, 17 Nov 2013
What an outstanding job Mary-Anne has done bringing so many old baking recipes back into the limelight. Each recipe is accompanied by an anecdote or historical fact which makes it SO much more than just another cookery book. It is a book you can truly read and enjoy, with the added bonus of truly delicious recipes. I really can't heap enough praise on Mary-Anne for this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent comprehensive book - one small gripe!, 1 Jan 2014
I was so pleased to receive this as a Christmas from my husband. (Well actually I chose and ordered it - he paid and wrapped it up.) The recipes are excellent and the book is good just for reading in bed. The descriptions of the items to be made are so interesting. It's also very reassuring to know that Mary-Anne has taken the time to research everything so thoroughly and make the things several times to ensure perfect results. My only gripe is the measurements. It is all metric and yet it is quite clear that they have all been translated from imperial measurements - for instance there are many with strange amounts like 112gm flour or 56gm sugar - obviously they were 4oz and 2oz respectively. I know EU rules force writers and publishers to use metric measurements, but wouldn't it be possible to include imperial too? Particularly when these are old recipes designed to be used that way and the metric measurements are somewhat strange and incongruous. Anyway I shall have to go through the book with a pencil and write in the ounces - rather gives my age away but I suspect others over 50 may want to do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover a real cookery book, 29 Nov 2013
This is the best cookery book on my shelf. Original and interesting, it stands apart from the usual and takes you on an adventure of taste and texture. Five stars are not enough !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A copper-bottomed 5-star gem!, 7 Feb 2014
I don't usually go for anything associated with TV cookery, unless it's Hopkinson or Slater who had demanded attention long before they took the broadcaster's shilling. So I was about the pass this book over, after seeing a mention of The Great British Bake-Off, when I spotted the ratings. It ;looked the sort of thing I like, so I ordered it - very sensible me!

Just for once, I'm reviewing a cookbook without having cooked from it. First, Roger Pizey's book arrived two days before - and that is very difficult not to cook from. Then, this book is so well researched and contains so much well-written history that it is possible to read it purely for pleasure and interest. Finally, all the recipes have been tried and tested in homes all over Britain - sometimes for hundreds of years. So, if they don't work, it's either a typo or, more likely, my mistake.

The recipes are scrupulously documented, including the source and date. Following a brief but interesting discussion of the development of baking in Britain, and a review of the ingredients required, the book launches into recipes grouped under: Large Cakes, Biscuits, Gingerbread, Pastry, Puddings, Small Cakes, Yeast, Bits and Bobs. Recipes follow a standard format with discussion of the history, ingredients, method, and variations if applicable. The recipes are followed by a comprehensive Notes section, Index, and Acknowledgements. The ingredients feature such modernities as fast-action yeast and spring-form tins - which just goes to show that we have made some progress over the centuries. If you really want the authentic experience, there is sufficient information included for those who want baking to be very hard work!

This book takes up where Julie Duff's excellent Cakes: regional and traditional leaves off. Indeed, I would go so far as to say it is a model for all traditional cookbooks. One huge advantage the UK has over most countries is that it is a long time since there was serious social upheaval. So, these things are documented, and documented very well. All it takes is some dedicated soul like Mary-Anne Boermans to make it her life's work to put them together. For which we can all be extremely grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the thinking baker, 10 Feb 2014
L. Hill (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
Interesting cookery book. Non of your normal same old recipes. Plenty of interesting historical stories to accompany the recipes.
The apple cake is delicious and has become a firm family favourite.
If you want an intelligent, different baking book written in a friendly amiable style - buy it. You won't be disappointed.
Great work Mrs Boermans

5.0 out of 5 stars fab cookbbok, 8 Jan 2014
fantastic cookbook easy to follow recipes, giving great results but is also a wonderful read with recipes to suit even the most fussy of diets

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly original baking companion, 29 Nov 2013
I bought this book as I was looking forward to trying new recipes and have always been fascinated by food history ... this is a gem... Informative, fascinating and having tried four recipes this week alone..the results have been well received ..
I look forward to volume two...
Thank you, Mary Anne .

5.0 out of 5 stars This immaculately researched and fascinating book is sure to be an essential addition to any cookery book shelf, 26 Nov 2013
Great British Bake-Off finalist Mary-Anne Boermans into her collection of nearly a thousand old cookery books to rediscover the long-forgotten recipes of our past. As well as classics such as Welsh honey cake, Chelsea buns and trifle, there are intriguing delights such as rout biscuits, taffety tarts, wiggs (sweet and spicy yeast buns) and fanchonettes (an early and more delicate version of lemon meringue pie).

Mary-Anne has adapted the original recipes for the modern kitchen -- very helpful in the case of doughnuts, which in Mary-Anne's seventeenth-century source recipe were boiled in lard.

This immaculately researched and fascinating book is sure to be an essential addition to any cookery book shelf.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Great British Bakes: Forgotten treasures for modern bakers
Great British Bakes: Forgotten treasures for modern bakers by Mary-Anne Boermans (Hardcover - 7 Nov 2013)