5.0 out of 5 stars READ ALL THE THINGS!
Allie Brosh is the creator of the award winning blog "Hyperbole and a Half". Allie writes and illustrates stories from her childhood, anecdotes about her dogs and a candid account of her own struggle with depression. Allie depicts her comic persona usually wearing a pink dress with y shaped hands and a blonde shark fin ponytail.

And now she FINALLY has her own...
Published 11 months ago by AvidReader

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad.
Beautiful looking book, very glossy and hefty.
And the crude drawings are done with a certain amount of skill.
But the recollections are just OK. The first one is brilliant and really had me chortling - but it never got as funny as this again.
It's a nice book to dip into as there are little bite-size chapters but don't expect to be in floods of tears.
Published 2 months ago by J. Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars READ ALL THE THINGS!, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened (Paperback)

And now she FINALLY has her own book (hooray)!

What makes Hyperbole so wonderful is Allie's mix of charming, whimsical drawings (all done using a simple program called `Paintbrush') and introspective, uproarious and honest to a fault prose.
The facts: This book is A5 size with 371 colourful pages. There are 18 comics in total, 11 new stories and 7 favourites from the blog. (4 of her stories include her beloved pets: Helper Dog and Simple Dog!)

Just for those die-hard fans (stalkers of the blog, much like myself) here are a few notes:
There is no Spaghatta Nadle! Our favourite nadle with the spach ampadamant is not here (maybe he'll get his own comic book one day!)
For whatever reason, Allie has chosen to change a few drawings. Example: The God of Cake - some of the pictures are different to those in the blog.

Of the 11 new stories, we learn how Allie motivates herself - through shaming; Helper dog has issues and how to distract your kids with pine cones if you're ever lost in the forest (I feel sorry for Allie's mom)

Buy it, read it, share it - ALOT! (ha - the ALOT is better than you at Everything - see Hyperbole Blog: April 2010)

P.S. Allie, if you're reading this - there damn well better be a volume 2!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Allie, you're a marvel, 11 Mar 2014
I got this for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day... we've been following Allie's blog for years.

When it arrived, I thought I should browse through it for a sneak preview, (just to make sure he would like it) and I have to say- NEVER read this while drinking a cup of tea at the same time. Or any liquid, for that matter.

I laughed so hard I nearly spewed hot tea all over it, and I had to put it aside in case I ended up by giving him a stained, soggy book as a gift.

Nearly a month later, we've both read it now- and it is brilliant. The illustrations are great... quirky and unique, but so expressive- and so, so funny, even when she write about the depression she has struggled with, and more serious ruminations on her life in general. In fact, I think that her depiction of depression using the dead goldfish is the BEST explanation of depression I've ever seen, and anyone planning on becoming a therapist or counselor should have to read it.

I was going to choose a favourite bit, but I can't- I like them all. The trip to the dentist, the letter from her ten-year old self, the psychopathic goose, her mad dogs, (and her attempts to train them) and CAKE, (actually, that one might be my favourite) and all the rest. I'm sitting here with it and going through it again laughing over Helper Dog in the snow, which is why it's now taken me over half an HOUR to write this review. I'm never going to get to the shops.

As to the book itself...it's much thicker than I had anticipated- 369 pages, full-colour printing on good quality paper that actually feels nice.

Buy it.... so she'll do a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Buy it already!, 4 Jun 2014
Allie is great. If real life was The Adventures of Paddington (as told by Michael Hordern) she'd be a 3D object. This book made me laugh until snot ran out of my nose.

It's not all laughs though. Hyperbole and a Half is perhaps most renowned for Allie's interpretation of the experience of depression. She's done something that has defeated the finest minds in history by explaining exactly what this disease is like in a way anyone can understand. I think she deserves some kind of Nobel prize for this, it's so funny, so poignant and so true. As one comment on her blog put it "I didn't think it could be put into words. You may have just saved my life".

But that's not the pinnacle of this book. The final two chapters are another epic journey into the human psyche that puts centuries of academia to shame. They are startlingly honest and raw. They are also so funny it's actually difficult to breathe while reading them.

My only complaint is this: some of the artwork, including the familiar 'ALL the things' meme image, has been altered from the original blog versions. I prefer the originals. I wonder if Allie did this to rationalise her style (which evolved rapidly) or if it was publisher requested. The upside is that Allie retains full copyright control of the originals and they're still up on her blog for all to see.

In summary; simply awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Nov 2013
Just got this as a gift and its making me laugh outloud. so funny and so different. the author has such an amazing take on situations. This is a book I'll be buying for friends and I know I'll dip into again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and moving blog-turned-book, 2 Feb 2014
Hyperboleandahalf.com is a popular blog started by Allie Brosh in 2009 that sets out stories from her life to an accompaniment of crudely drawn (but completely hilarious) comic strips. This book contains a mix of existing material from her blog and new strips.

I had heard of Brosh’s blog and seen some of the strips, but had never checked it out. As a result, all of the material in the book was new to me but those who do know the blog may find it old news. The comic strips are crudely drawn but that’s kinda the point and it’s amazing how much emotion Brosh manages to pack into the pictures – particularly those relating to her account of dealing with depression. I found it a hilarious and moving read and would definitely check out Brosh’s blog and any further books with the caveat that given how expensive the book is, I’d prefer to buy something with all new material rather than another collection.

My favourite strips were the stories from her childhood – especially the account of the battle with her mother over a chocolate cake, which had me doubled over and Brosh’s account of the day a goose invaded her home (which made me laugh so much on my commute that latte shot out of my nose). However, there are serious sections in the book and I think her account of depression is very moving. Having suffered myself with it in the past, I could really relate to what she was saying – notably about how useless it is to be given advice – and as such, I would recommend it to anyone who knows someone with the condition.

All in all, I completely enjoyed this book and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: This book will make you laugh so hard a little pee may come out!, 21 Feb 2014
Martin S Allen (Forest Hill, London) - See all my reviews
This book is ab-so-lutely hilarious.
For those who've never heard of Allie Brosh, the book is named after her online blog, (which I also recommend to anyone). Although the book contains some material from the website, it is still very, very funny even if you've read it before. On top of that there is plenty of new material as well, which is also very, very funny.
I would recommend this book to anyone with a sense of humour. And to anyone who doesn't have a sense of humour, this book could probably fix you. (OK, that last claim was a bit of a guess!)
My only reservation is that there is a little bit of swearing, but not that much, and most people will probably be fine with it. In any case, you'll probably be too busy rolling around on the floor laughing to be bothered by a smattering of bad language.
Honestly, I would give it 6 stars out of 5 if I could.
Thank you Allie, thank you thank you thank you :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Do All The Things!, 9 April 2014
For those who aren't familiar with Allie Brosh's popular online cartoons, these are hilarious, sometimes moving tales of her life and an absolute necessity for anyone who is or has ever been an adult, a girl, a dog owner, a teenager, a child, or someone who sometimes just wants to sit on the sofa and not do the things today... Deeper than just comic strips but not quite a graphic novel, they are great to dip in and out of, but once you start you may find yourself reading the whole thing. An excellent gift for older teens, especially with regard to the parts dealing with (ultimately resolved) mental health issues.

Hoping that a second volume emerges soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Bible!!, 2 Nov 2013
Allie Brosh is just as good if not better than all the anti-depressants and mood stabilizers in the world. Whenever I'm having a really bad day, I read her blog on the net and no matter how sad I am, I end up giggling like the lunatic that I am. And now, on the rare occasion that I venture outside of my house, I can use her book as a comfort blanket. I recommend this book to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the most truly wonderful thing ever., 15 Feb 2014
There's very little to say about this that hasn't already been said. I'm a huge fan of Ms Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half blog, which i've followed since 2010, and this book is a continuation of it's sheer wonderfulness - a combination of some of the best of the posts from that blog (of particular dearness to me, her writings on her struggles with depression - described more beautifully, eloquently, accurately and, perversely, humourously than anyone one has ever managed in the history of the written word!) as well as fresh new material, which is guaranteed to make you giggle.
Buy this book, you really won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 18 Aug 2014
J. Lee "jambo" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Beautiful looking book, very glossy and hefty.
And the crude drawings are done with a certain amount of skill.