Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 October 2013
Due to the success of the Spanish national team and the exploits of arguably the world's two biggest clubs, there have been many books about Spanish football. Sid Lowe's book tops the lot and stands head and shoulders above the rest. But this is far more than just a book about football.....

Football takes a back seat for the first 80 pages, Spain's politics and modern history played a huge role in the identities of both Madrid and Barcelona. This cannot be understated and Lowe does a fantastic job of setting the scene. It was impossible to keep sport and politics apart, both had a major bearing on the dna of these great rivals. Whilst some of the work will be familiar to other books on the same subject, the book has a stronger understanding of the far-reaching influence the clubs possess. Chapter by chapter the history of their rivalry is built (even manufactured at times) and is even-handed in both praise and criticism. Thankully it's only the last few chapters that deal with the current teams, personally I'm rather tired of the question - who is better, Messi or Ronaldo? The book manages to avoid wasting paper gushing over the both of them. No matter how good individuals are, the book illustrates that the club will always be bigger, and rightly so. Personally I found the book contained some wonderful stories and tales especially from Michael Laudrup, Louis Van Gaal and Pedrag Mijatovic. Probably the only criticism I found was that the Bobby Robson era at Barca was largly ignored bar a brief mention.

At over 400 pages you will devour this pretty quickly and by the end will still want more. There are some fine books about the recent Spanish footballing glory but this one is the best. Sid Lowe shows he has more in his locker beyond football.
on 25 May 2014
I am a filipina from the Philippines and my fiance is currently living in UK who is also a British. My fiance is a very sports enthusiast especially in football. In the Philippines, basketball is the most popular sports, even so, I am not a very sports person so I am not good in conversing with my fiance about sports, about football. I am trying to learn it but it's hard and I want my fiance to know that I still love listening to his sports stories even if I do not have any idea at all. I never wanted my fiance to think that I am not interested with sports, and I know that every thing about sports will make him happy. Recently I have been seeing his tweets about Atletico Madrd and Barcelona and all about La liga stuff in Spain, so I searched and I found this book. I know that he will really love it, I didn't hesistate to purchase it and it was delivered to perfectly within estimated date. My fiance opened the package the day of our anniversary and posted on facebook how happy he is, telling his facebook peeps that he has the best woman ever. I asked him how it was and he loves the content as it also includes history :) I am so happy that he loves it.

If your partner is a sports enthusiast, I would defo recommend it!!! Great book, good content and very informative.
on 13 November 2013
This is a truly wonderful book that is beautifully written, meticulously researched and benefits from interviews with a vast number of relevant people : players, coaches, directors, physios and even a cemetery caretaker.
But it's not just about football : it puts these two huge clubs in the context of Spanish history, society , culture and politics and in doing so exposes the myths about the Barca Madrid rivalry as well as uncovering the reality of their interdependent stories.
Read it, enjoy the often hilarious inside stories, and understand a hugely important component of Spain.
on 21 October 2013
Interesting history of the rivalry & how it is interwoven with Spanish and Catalan culture and aspirations. Add to this the love of great football & precious interviews ;Cruyff & Di-Steafano in particular. Enjoyed immensely.
on 14 December 2013
Football, sociology, history, politics and economics all distilled into a potent cocktail. Using an academic's eye and a journalist's eye for detail and prose Sid Lowe has written a classic. This and Phil Ball 's 'Morbo' are collectors items.
on 10 October 2013
I read this in less than a week. Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. Entertaining and informative. It never shies away from the more complex issues that surround the rivalry.
on 31 March 2016
Football is politics. And in certain cases it can be beautiful both despite politics and because of politics. The classic clash between Barcelona and Real Madrid is one of these matches; every time they play is a guarantee of fantastic football and politics. Sid Lowe's book describes the history of this rivalry, both in political and in football terms, but mostly, how they both have mingled to create a rivalry that today is followed by the entire world.
The rivalry is not only about historical facts, but also about myths: Barcelona sees itself as the righteous rebels against Franco's regime, while Real Madrid sees itself as a club of gentlemen and good football. But there are many more nuances to this history, as Sid Lowe so amply shows. For instance, during the civil war a Real Madrid president was in fact part of the anti-Franco Republican government, while Barcelona, after having competed during the civil war (contrary to Real Madrid, as the city was under siege), became the dominant team in Spain immediately after the war. Real Madrid was from the 1950s largely run by a pro-government president, Santiago Barnabeu, who led the way in making them the best team in the world in the 1960s, ahead of a Barcelona side that constantly saw a conspiracy behind Real Madrid's success. This is mostly showed by the myth that Alfredo Di Stefano was “stolen” from them, while it rather appears that they were less smart than Real Madrid in a complex negotiation involving clubs in Argentina and Colombia.
The rivalry changed and evolved with Spanish history, and this is fantastically described in the book. The transition up to and after Franco's death is very interesting, when Johan Cruyff went to Barcelona as a player, and a new period of rivalry started. In football terms during the 1980s and 1990s the rivalry became the best in the world, with the best players in the world having played for either club. The list is simply amazing when one sees the players that have gone through either (or both in many cases!): Paul Breitner, Gary Lineker, Hugo Sanchez, Diego Maradona, Ronaldo, Hristo Stoichkov, Emilio Butragueno, Michael Laudrup, Zinedine Zidane, Ronald Koeman, Raul, Romario, Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo.... etc... The book has fantastic interviews with many of these players!
In the 1990s Johan Cruyff, now as coach put the foundation for what made the great Barcelona of the 2000s. In an attempt to be as good as FC Barcelona, Real Madrid's president, Florentino Perez, was instrumental in wanting to create a global brand spending millions on the best players in the world. In all, the 2000s became a period of rivalry defined by the best football in the world, money, and not least politics, as FC Barcelona continues to be an entry point of a growing Catalan nationalism demanding independence from Spain (the book starts with a highly politicized game of 2012 when thousands of fans in Barcelona shouted for independence during the match).
In this regard, the clashes are as political as ever, but at the same time the match has become a global affair: the best footballers in the world facing one another in a match that is never insignificant, but a final every time. The teams are completely dominating in Spain, and their high class also makes them among the best teams in Europe (in since 2000 Real Madrid and FC Barcelona have won three and four Champions League respectively) and surely in the world.
Sid Lowe is an English journalist, and that gives the book strength, as he does not take sides in what is a rivalry full of bitterness and myths, something that is surely difficult. Many fanatical fans of either Real Madrid or Barcelona are probably not going to like the book as he tries to demystify some of their stories.
In the end, one realises that these two teams need one another. They would not be able to define themselves without that rivalry, which has surely pushed them to always be better, until now them being both the best. It is a perfect symbiosis of opposites that has given us some of the best football we can wish for.
Any football fan should love this rivalry, and there is no better book to understand it.
on 20 January 2014
I've read a lot of Sid Lowe's columns in World Soccer over the years and I have come to trust his opinion and superb analysis with regards to Spanish football. I only realised that he had written this book when I was browsing the sports section in my local bookstore and was pleasantly surprised when I seen it on the shelf. Needless to say I purchased it on the spot!

I proceeded to become lost in the pages as the book was utterly fascinating. Absolute credit to Sid as the depth of his research was extensive in the extreme!!I loved the way the book was structured and the attention paid to key periods in both the clubs histories. The chapters on Di Stefano, the Barca dream team from the 90's and the vulture squad were particular highlights for me. Also, the information on the Spanish civil war set the tone for the rest of the book. Sid was able to explain the true background about Real being Franco's team and the myths surrounding this. I've actually ordered Orwell's Homage to Catalonia on the back of reading this book as I would like to learn more about the Catalan perspective of the civil war.

Overall a fabulous read that any football fan will greatly enjoy!
on 22 November 2013
Fantastic reading this from Sid Lowe, having read every book of his, knew this wouldn't fail. Simply amazing and will make a fantastic present.
on 19 March 2015
I lived in Barcelona for nearly 10 years and was an enthusiastic supporter of FCB my entire time in the city.

I won't lie, I was swept up in the "romance" surrounding the club and my 10 years there were probably the period that will be looked back at by historians as a Golden Era. My knowledge of FCB history had come from books and articles written from a FCB perspective and I was given the rose tinted history from the locals.

Don't get me wrong FCB have had their troubles and many of the "truths"they hold dear are indeed that. However....

This book reveals the fuller picture of many incidents in the histories of both clubs. Many myths are, if not destroyed, put in context that paints aspects of each club's history in a slightly different light.

Don't misunderstand me, this is not going to turn any Madridistas into Cules or vice versa but as a balanced, well researched and well written history of the rivalry it is pretty much the definitive work.

If you follow Spanish football I suggest you get on it.