5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, reliable recipes
I recently purchased this book, on the strength of the writers previous cupcake book. I regularly use the cupcake recipes for a cafe that I bake for, as they are so reliable and customers ask for them!

Published on 26 Oct. 2011 by Fat Burner

3.0 out of 5 stars uninspiring, recipes don't work
Although the book looks fab with lovely pictures, Following the recipes to the absolute letter, I have now made the bannoffi cupcakes which though look pretty, are grey on the inside and very doughy - horrid taste. The brownies - came out dry and tasted horrid. The ones made with BBC good food are much better. Despite what the other reviewers say about the book, I am...
Published on 26 Oct. 2012 by Ella

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, reliable recipes, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)

On this current book, The Primrose Bakery Book, I have been most pleased with the recipes and layout. It's an attractive book, with lovely photos and although some recipes appeared in the last book, they have been 'tweaked' by the authors (e.g. orange and cranberry cupcakes). I don't see this as a problem, as it's only a few recipes, and good cooks are always experimenting and improving on recipes!

I recently followed the croissant recipe from this latest book. They turned out fabulous!! I've done heaps of yeast-based baking, and this is my first foray into croissant/viennoise style dough. The croissants rose beautifully, and they have turned out looking and tasting amazing (Thank you Martha & Lisa!!).

I recommend this book for cooks who enjoy baking and for newbies in the kitchen too - there are good step-by-step photos in a few sections. Baking is an art and a science, so practice makes perfect. If you're a newby to baking, keep trying the recipes in these books as they will help you to become a better cook.

All in all, I recommend this book and will be sending it as a gift this Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Useful and Amazing Baking Book I Own!, 27 May 2012
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
I can't praise this book enough. I got bought their previous Cupcake book and loved it, so I was over-joyed when I found they had written another. I love the different sections, from cupcakes, layer cakes, loaf cakes and especially Breakfast. I have made several of the loaf cakes and they are a perfect addition to myself and my boyfriends lunch box - particularly the Ginger Loaf, it tastes better everyday! I have also recently attempted to make the croissants from their recipe and they are wonderful. I've never felt more accomplished as a baker when they turned out perfect!

I love this book so much, I have bought a copy for my friend and for my sisters birthday and they both agree how wonderful it is. I could go on and on and ON about how much I love the book, but I think most people will have guessed that by now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous!, 20 May 2012
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
I loved this book, the photos, the layout and the recipes themselves were all fabulous. I have made many of the recipes including the nutella cupcakes (my favourite), the maple and pecan cupcakes, the caramel slice, the mars bar cake and the raspberry cocnut ice cupcakes and they were all delicious and went down a treat! The cakes are extremely rich, so you can't eat too many in one go (although some would disagree!) but all were delicious, easy to make and looked really impressive at the end. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Primrose Bakery, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
Bought as a present for my daughter so not used it myself but on flicking through, it looked great. Lovely photos and the recipes looked like ones I would make - not always the case with some cook books. Great, and my daughter loves it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, 5 Oct. 2011
A. Wingate - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
I thought it might be hard for the Primrose Bakery to better their first book - but here it is! They have included many of their cake (as well as cupcake) recipes - and I've already tested out the banana cake (wonderful sour cream chocolate icing!) and the ginger cake, both of which were delicious.It is also one of the most beautifully styled cookery books I have come across...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing cookbook! Must-buy for Christmas!, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
I love the new Primrose Bakery cookbook- it is a truly beautiful book filled with delicious and easy to follow recipes. Not only is the book filled with yummy treats but it looks amazing with so many personal touches. I made the Nutella cupcakes for my friends birthday and they were a huge success!! I often take friends to the bakery for coffee and cake and the book really does feel like an extension of the shop.

I would recommend the Primrose Bakery book to all cake lovers out there- A perfect gift for someone special, or yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipes and cake photos, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
The recipes in this book are lovely, they really inspired me to bake some new cakes. There are my standard favourites of lemon drizzle - OH said it was the best he ever tasted - very zingy and new ideas, such as blueberry cake and plum cupcakes.Nice section at end on how to decorate your cakes. I would highly recommend this book, the photos are fab and you'll start baking so many cakes you won't know what to do with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Primrose Bakery Book, 9 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
I bake all the time and have so many cake books, but the Primrose Bakery Book is fantastic, the recipes all work and the cakes taste delicious. I would rate this book above many other popular favourites for cupcakes - some of the bigger names often produce quite disappointing results which have ended up in the bin - I am perfectionist when it comes to baking and so really can recommend this book. The icing recipes are excellent and not too sweet. The milk chocolate icing works particularly well without sugar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some lovely recipes, 16 Dec. 2014
J. Gascoyne (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
This is a cake book I go to a lot and there are some cakes that I get asked for time and time again (their lemon meringue cupcakes take a lot of beating, everyone loves them). However, I've had some disasters, particularly when I feel there's a lack of detail in the method. For instance, I had a crack at their shortbread recipe because it's unlike any other I've seen, it's not the standard, sugar, butter, flour. I followed the method but it didn't bind the way they said it would so had to add water which was frustrating. Did I not beat it long enough? I don't know, they didn't tell me how long this might take to achieve. Then they didn't specify a size of tin or a recommended thickness for the shortbread. So I ended up with raw in the middle and a bit too well done on the top. I could tweak it a bit and figure out the optimum tin/thickness with a few goes, but would appreciate more detail so there's less waste getting there! I always practice them now to make sure they work before making them for any kind of event. Other than that it's a lovely book that you will refer to time and again with recipes that aren't found anywhere else, just a bit different from everyone else's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good!, 18 July 2012
This review is from: The Primrose Bakery Book (Hardcover)
Love the book, nice & simple recipes and wonderful pictures.
Most recipes are very straight forward such as the Chocolate & Banana loaf.
On the other hand, I do seem to have problems with the recipes that use self raising flour, for some reason the mixture comes out very dry but the recipes that use all purpose flour come out beautifully.

The Primrose Bakery Book
The Primrose Bakery Book by Martha Swift (Hardcover - 29 Sept. 2011)