5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Parents of Primary School Children
This is an excellent book. It really helps understand how children are taught Maths at school and will avoid parents showing their children the 'wrong' way to do maths (even though parent might not agree the with the 'new way').

Well worth the money - every parent should have a copy!
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by John in Cornwall

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but.....
I like this book providing for us oldies some insight into 'modern' maths. However not all schools teach the methods described and whilst I can recognise the benefit of the number line method, partitioning seems much too long winded especially when they will have to resort to the more traditional (and recognised) method for P7 and beyond.
Published 6 months ago by Mcghee

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Parents of Primary School Children, 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)

Well worth the money - every parent should have a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a child in primary school - this is a must., 5 Feb 2010
D. Laflin (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
Fortunately for me my child is just proceeding through KS1 before the complications would have set in. After reading this book I can now see the reasoning behind the new (to me) methods. The book takes a serious subject and injects plenty of lighter touches to make the topic enjoyable (maths enjoyable??). The different aspects are broken up with questions to make sure you are keeping up plus games to play and little gems of info that I wasn't aware of. Money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life & money saving, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
As the parent of two daughters who are now in secondary school, I wish I had been able to read this book several years ago as I would have saved a great deal of time and money. Modern maths is quite different to that which I learned but, as I now see from this book, not nearly as mysterious as I initially thought. Following Rob & Mike's tips and advice would have prevented much aggravation and heated discussion between myself and my daughters during their primary education. Had our mathematical relationship not been strained by this, my daughters might now still have been happy to sit down and talk maths with me, rather than to an expensive, but excellent, tutor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for kids but great for parents!, 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
Really useful if, like me, you learned maths the old fashioned way. I have a son in year 4 and it has helped me understand much more about wht he's learning and what he should be learning! Well worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths for Mums and Dads, 7 Jun 2010
Mrs. C. G. Wolfe (Stoke-on-Trent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
A very easy read coverage of Primary level Maths. Presented in good bite size sections and with fun games that even my daughter (Yr4)enjoyed. She doesn't usually enjoy much maths initiated by her parents!! We all enjoyed the humorous child test sheet answers. A great informative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths for Mums & Dads, 9 Mar 2010
J. Lloyd "Hardy fan" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
Excellent book that will help grandparents to help their grandchildren with homework because it explains current methods of maths teaching with lucidity.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy maths after all!, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
I spent most of my school days hating maths and dreading the lessons because I couldn't understand some of the most basic principles. Yes, we all learn to add / subtract / multiply etc but I was
never taught 'how' the sums worked. Maths nowadays is taught so differently and my age 7 daughter was coming home getting frustrated that she couldn't work out the additions she was being
asked to do - without this book I would have confused her more but after only a couple of nights reading I was able to confidently show her how number lines worked and she is now working on
multiplication using the grid method. I even enjoyed doing it too and learnt the 'simple' finger method of 9 times tables - why weren't we shown this at school ?!!! Even more 'advanced' maths like
counting in base 8 is explained simply and I now feel I can help my little ones with any of the questions they come to me with - wish I'd had this book 30 years ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars The book needs an index!, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
A great book, as many have already said. However, this book desperately needs an index! After the initial read, when I want to help my son with a particular topic then I'll have to scan the whole book as it stands. A four star book, but a five star book if it had the index you would expect of this type of book.

Also noticed some bad mistakes in the explanation of the answer to question 16 in the "Questions that a 11 year old might encounter" section of the book: four sixths of the 30 triangles is 20 triangles, not 24, plus the first solution shown is wrong as it has 22 triangles shaded.

But a great book nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best maths book available for parents and carers, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
Speaking as an experienced primary school teacher, this book is a must buy.

Mike Askew is an authority in the field of maths learning. I've read a lot of excellent academic material written or edited by him; however, this book is targeted at parents or carers of Primary School age students. It gives a clear overview of the way maths is taught in schools today (from Reception to Year 6) with numerous examples and simple, effective games to practise the maths covered.

Accessible without being condescending, this publication would be useful for anyone wishing to support their child with their maths learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb introduction to parents, teaching assistants and teachers of all generations!, 6 Mar 2010
This review is from: Maths for Mums and Dads (Hardcover)
Having worked as an accountant in the charity sector for 25 years, I volunteered in two primary schools last academic year, and since September 2009 I have been working as a specialist TA (teaching assistant)and find this book invaluable; i.e. it is exactly what I was looking for!

A musician friend of mine recommended this to me, as she is looking at different subject books before embarking on writing a music theory book of a similar ilk.

I have passed this book on to teachers and parents - and they are most impressed!

Maths for Mums and Dads
Maths for Mums and Dads by Rob Eastaway (Hardcover - 7 Jan 2010)