on 17 September 2007
Maybe i live a sheltered life but this has to be one of the best kid's books ever written. I wonder whether Mr. Dahl was a madman or a genious. I got this for my 4 year old and as much as he enjoyed it, I think the real treat was for me the mum. This book must have passed me by when i was a child but I shall make sure I recommend it to all of my friends (and their children of course).
on 23 June 2010
I liked it alot because it made me laugh out loud. There's an abandoned house. There's animal window cleaners who wash the windows. Keep reading this book and you will find out the characters adventures. Beautifully illustrated by Quentin Blake this is a brilliant book because I couldn't put it down.
on 20 November 2001
Personly i loved this book it was full of thrills i found it helariously funny and rather smart.This has to be one of my faverout books ever. My faverou charector has to bethe pelly he was the bucket and he cought a famous robber and he was also like a helecopter air lifting Gorge up.I espesially liked the end how the the geraffe got is speshale tree and the pelly got his faverout fish the monkey got his nuts and Gorge got his sweet shop.Ialso liked how he made the animals go together as a window cleaning company.It has een a while since i read this book but i shal lways remember it.
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 31 January 2010
My 8-year old daughter is really into Roald Dahl at the moment after seeing Mr Fox at the cinema. She got a few books over Christmas, and bought a few more with her pocket money, this one included. I am really enjoying getting back into some of these books I read when I was younger. Dahl has a fabulous way of connecting with children with all his made-up words and images, and this book is no different.

Its quite a short story about a boy who makes friends with a giraffe, pelican and monkey who run their own window cleaning company out of a old building that used to be a sweet shop. Great story, and links to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with all the magical names of sweets at the end!

Great story. Quite short (around 70 easy reading pages), so really only two sittings for my daughter. However she loved it, as did I!
on 25 November 2011
I am going through the Roald Dahl collection with our youngest, and we've just finished this one. Having previously read the BFG, we were in need of some light relief, and found it in this short but entertaining tale.

Its the story of a boy and his new found, window-cleaning animal friends. Its a delightful, charming tale, which will be a joy to read for young and old readers alike.

It isn't broken up into chapters, however, if you split it up yourself into manageable chunks there is about 5 nights of bedtime reading to be had, depending on your reading speed.

Best of all, no kiddies get eaten by giants.
on 8 January 2011
This is the ideal book to read to your child at bed time, after you have read it to your children, I would advise you to buy the book on tape or cd format, because you will find that your children will ask for story to be read every night at bed time , they will drift off into the land of nod as they listen to this classic :-)
on 26 January 2000
My favourite book of all time has to be the Giraffe and the pelly and me. I first read it in year three. I think the funniest part is when the giraffe the pelican and the monkey are throwing household things out of the window and its all smashing on the concrete below. When I first read the book I belived the giraffes neck could really strech, the giraffe stretches his neck whilst window cleaning for the duke. I always dreamed of eating the sweets, from the grubber, Gumtwizzlers, Fizzwinkles, Frothblowers, Spitsizzlers, Tummyticklers, Gobwangles and Plushnuggets.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A Dahl title I hadn't eard of prior to it's landing, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What does occur however is a tale about friendship, about fortune and how good deeds are not only their own reward.

The story is fascinating, the combo of the friends not only quirky but a stupendous mix and I don't thin anyone but Dahl could have combined it them to the level of success that is achieved within.

Overall a great offering and when the artwork of Quentin Blake is added, one that will be enjoyed a number of times. Definitely worth the hardback price although, personally, I think that some of the shorter offerings should have been combined in a twofer type of value for money title.
on 26 December 2014
This book is by the classical Roald Dahl .It's a short story but it's classic.I read it on my Kindle and it keeps me amused for a long time.I like to read it and think about the story.It doesn't have many bad people in it.I could read it everyday.I like to read it in the evening.By the way it realy gets young children getting mums ,dads,grandmothers and grandfathers toread it to them.It's so good .Quentin Blakes illustrations are such an inspiration to brilliant art.When my dads away in London and while I am stuck with my lovely mother in Norwich Iove reading ths book . It is not a sad story at all.I never want to stop reading this.
on 11 February 2016
I have no doubt that my 5 year old grand-daughter will love this story, after all who doesn't love a Roald Dahl story. It is made even more interesting by the wonderful illustrations of Quentin Blake. However, part of the beauty of a book is the book itself. The problem with this book, apart from the fact that it could have been slightly larger in size, is the very poor quality of the paper. It is so flimsy that the following two pages can be seen akin to 'ghosting' on the page. It detracts from the enjoyment of it and will almost certainly have a short shelf-life. It is poor value for money.
review image