5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
I am currently reading this book to my children at bedtime, and it must be the most gripping book they have had so far! Unusually for them, they sit silently, listening and hanging on every word. I read just a few chapters a night and every night so far they have cried, "NOOOO! Not yet!! one more chapter...PLEASE just ONE more chapter!!".

The style in which...
Published on 7 Sep 2006 by A Happy Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars School Review of the Witches
We have just read The Witches in class J1 (year 3) of Gayhurst School in Hackney, London. The class has given this book three stars because some of us really loved the book, but some were disappointed. Before the Witches we had read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, also by Roald Dahl. We all loved that book and some of us thought the Witches was less exciting. The...
Published on 7 July 2006 by Andrew Orphanoudakis

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 7 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)

The style in which the book is written is the key to it's success I believe. The book has been written as though it is a true story.

We have previously finished reading James & the giant peach, and although they enjoyed it, The Witches is most definitely more popular.

A truly great read. Well done Mr Dahl!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Dahl, 11 July 2006
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
Are you at home right now? I hope so. Oh, you're not. You're in one of those internet cafes. Oh dear. Then - and I don't want to scare you - you're not safe. Not at all safe. Put down that sticky slab of chocolate cake and sneak a look at the person sitting beside you. Is it a lady? Oh it is.

Is she a witch?

Well you wouldnt know would you. I didn't before I read this book. And you MUST read this book: not just so that you're able to tell the difference between a witch and a regular kind old lady but because this is deliciously good fiction.

The Witches is a classic Dahl recipe in every sense: a simple and plausible premise, mixed with oodles of imagination, some super-scary baddies, a sprinkling of poignancy and morality, and a big dollop of dark-edged humor. This is Roald Dahl writing at his very best, at his haughtiest and naughtiest; and the effect is spellbinding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witches - a must for any 8 year old, 27 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
This is enchanting book, which I read to my 8 year old son at bedtime. A truly gripping story that holds no punches when appealing to a childs intrigue for ghoulish scariness. He couldn't even wait for the next installment and secreted the book into his school bag as a replacement for his class reading book the next day!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wicked Book, 14 April 2008
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
This book is about a boy and his grandma. Unfortunately his parents died
so he went to live with his Nan in England. In the 6 weeks holiday he was going to Norway but his Nan had pneumonia so he could not. He went to Bournemouth instead. In the hotel there were roughly 99 witches (including the grand high witch). He went to train his mice and he got caught in the room with them .....
I like the book because the characters were amazing.
It was just the words I wanted to read, I could not wait to read on to the other chapters. It is my all time favourite book.
I would give this novel a rating of a wicked 5.
Faran Cox Herbert Thompson Primary School

I love the book `The Witches' because the witch characters are really well described. They do not clean their toe nails. They wear long black hats. I like the boy because he his brave. It was funny because the witch was saying a funky saying.
Soraya Chamani and Jessica Kingsley Herbert Thompson Primary School

5.0 out of 5 stars "A scalp scratching, nail biting, mind boggling book!", 13 July 2012
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
"A scalp scratching, nail biting, mind boggling book!"

Outstanding! I guarantee this jaw dropping book will make you fall off your chair with laughter! If you like humour, adventure and action, you should definitely read this book. I love the excitement in the atmosphere and I'm sure you'll love it too. With fantastic illustrations, take it from me, this is a truly brilliant book!

It starts with an eight year old boy and ends with a smaller and more hairy creature. This boy has encountered unusual human-like creatures far from our imaginations... Witches - with their peculiar features. You do not want to come into contact with one; or you're in for a frightfully bumpy ride.

Will the boy survive the encounter..?

Roald Dahl is one of the best-selling authors in the world. He is very successful and has an indescribable imagination! His story "The Witches" is not only a book but has been adapted into a stage play and a two-part radio dramatisation for the BBC.

I recommend this book to everyone!
WARNING>>>
Book may involve a highly dangerous potion - `Formula 86 Delayed-Action Mouse Maker' used by the Grand High Witch herself!
By Jessica

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Mar 2001
By A Customer
It's funny because like the last reviewer, I came back to re-read this book recently as an adult, having enjoyed it as a child. This time round it was still as magical as ever. Dare I say it - I think he beats JKRowling as a master of childrens' stories. It won the Whitbread in '83 and it deserved it - it's funny, scary, witty and completely pageturning, but I disagree with the last reviewer who said it was scary for kids. I read it when I was a kid and simply enjoyed it; I think children appreciate a darkly comic read. I remember reading that Roald Dalh took 2 years to write a book and it shows - the book is so effortlessly readable, yet it takes a good deal of work to create something so well-crafted and addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should read this to their kids!, 23 July 2001
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
I recently re-read this childhood classic and to my amazement, I think I love it even more! In my wee days it scared me. Dahl's delicious descriptions could make every child's hair stand on end, but now I can enjoy Dahl's brilliant abilities of observation and talent for description.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary!, 12 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
Plot: To witches children smell like dogs droppings and you never know where one is. On the outside (with a disguise on), a witch can look like any ordinary women. Without the gloves to cover their cat like claws; they wear wigs because they are actually bald; witches are very difficult to tell apart from humans, or are they?

Fact: The boy (who is unnamed) in the story's grandmother is Norwegian and is really based on Roald Dahl's mother who inspired him a lot!

Rating and recommendation: I would rate this brilliant book 7/ 10; I think would recommend this perfect paperback to all Roald Dahl fans, especially 7 - 12 year
olds

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is brilliant, I find it tremendously imaginative, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
This book is brilliant, I find it tremendously imaginative. It is funny and Roald Dahl should be proud. The age limit of this book would be 10+. This book is not the best book I've ever read but I would recommend it as it is funny and entertaining.

The Witches is weirdly funny and scary! The funniest part is when the witches take three layers of skin off themselves and the ugliest witch is the GHW (Grand High Witch), she's nasty.

Don't you want this book, aren't you waiting to buy it? Just go to Amazon and get it?

By Myael, age 10

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was really good .I really enjoyed it !, 18 July 2001
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
When I read the book I was so amazed I was about to faint.The book had such good ideas it was unbelieveable. Once I read the first few paragraphs I was glued to it and my mother told me to stop reading but I wouldn't let go it was it was so good.I would recomend other people to read the book to.

The Witches
The Witches by Roald Dahl (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2010)