5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper
If I could describe this book in one word, I'd say it was 'fearless'. And when you think how Laurent Fignon rode during his pro career, it's not too far away from that...

I had a few pre-conceived ideas prior to reading this book; some from what i already knew and others from general reading, chat etc. and so was intrigued to find out more about such an...
Published on 5 Feb 2011 by jaycee2

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrested Development
Remember that moment when you realised the universe did not revolve around you and that in everyone else's life you weren't the main character? Sadly, this moment of realisation has never happened for Lauren Fignon: when you're young, arrogant and the world number one in your sport, this might be understandable, but with hindsight, 30 years later? Come on!
Fignon...
Published 16 months ago by Matthew Bakewell

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon (Paperback)
Not quite finished the book but I am enjoying it so far. Charismatic and honest , such a shame he was taken so young. RIP Monsieur.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reminder of a great Cyclist, 31 July 2011
Could not put this book down. A tremendous read from a passionate and brilliant cyclist who left us too soon. He writes about an era which although is only a generation ago seems in some ways more innocent than today's cycling. Or course it was not and he deals with the controversies of the period head on in his own honest style.

5.0 out of 5 stars we were and carefree;the autobiography of laurent fignon, 13 Jun 2011
what a fantastic book,if you like bike racing you must buy this book,what a shame laurent is no longer here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurent Fignon, 20 Mar 2011
An excellent book, for once written by the actual person concerned. A good insight into the professional cycling world. Must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Opener to a past era, 3 Feb 2011
WF has created a translation that provides a humbling outline of a truly amazing cycling legend. It reflects the challenges of a natural talent and the disappontment of missed opportunities through injury. There are respectful insights to other 'names' such as Hinault and Kelly. Also an insight into the talent that results in successes at Milan St Remo. Not just the story of 8 seconds.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for aspiring racers and has beens., 8 Jan 2011
This was enjoyable and I read it in almost one sitting. William Fotheringham has again produced a readable and accurate translation. Get insight into one of the last of the old guard of riders while the world of cycling changed. Yes he does dislike Lemond but comes across as a more sympathetic character than I had previously seen him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 7 Dec 2010
It's a nice book. Easy to read, it brings you to the backstage of cycling world of the 80's and 90's. Definitely, I would recommend it if you are fond of cycling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 1 Dec 2010
If you like cycling, and you remember the great 80's Tours, you'll love this book. Fignon was one of the greats, and it will be pleasant for you reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 4 Nov 2010
Pete in Wiltshire (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This was an enjoyable book since it gave me a good insight into the eighties world of professional cycling. This book complements nicely other books currently around about cycling's greats.

I'm bound to say, however, that I found Fignon an extremely difficult character to warm to. When he won, it was so effortless and he was head-and-shoulders above the competition. When he lost, there were often reasons other than him doing something wrong, or simply not being good enough on the day. Perhaps this is an unfair reflection on my part? Or perhaps this typifies the attitude people at the very pinnacle of their sport are obliged to have? Perhaps this is how Contador thinks, maybe Armstrong too? I don't know, but "modest" is certainly not a word I would use to describe Fignon.

The upshot of this is that the book is a good read, but is clearly a highly subjective account.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Were Young and Carefree, 14 Oct 2010
My first real interest in cycling was when Laurent Fignon won his 2nd Tour in 1984 when I was about 14 years old watching on TV inspired but his sheer determination and style.

This book is about how a man dedicated himself to cycling through determination and guts. Fignon was never a DNA product like Armstrong, Mercxx or Indurain, just a hard worker, honest and straight up and this is what the book entails. Fignon, a real cyclist a real sportsman, that young and old should look up too. Such an interesting read, written from the heart.

Bravo Fignon!

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon
We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon by Laurent Fignon (Paperback - 10 Jun 2010)