5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best
The book was the best autobiography I have read since Stuart Imlachs. Both written by sons of the subject. I first saw John play at Hillsborough when he made his Spurs debut.I was also fortunate enough to get his autograph(as I recall he arrived on his own and not on the coach).
The book arrived on the Monday and I'd read it by Wednesday.
It's easy to sense the...
Published on 23 Mar 2011 by joned

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but...
Published 22 months ago by Nick Rudd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars John White, 24 Feb 2014
My father won money on the 'double-winning' side of 1960-1961 and I knew all of their names before I knew all of the United players back in the sixties (I'm a United fan). This biography of one of the best midfielders ever is an obvious 'labour of love' but it is also a beautifully written book. Cherish the legend because John White truly was one !

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sport book ever, 19 Jan 2013
"Excellent book",my husbands words.A tottenham hotspur fan from childhood,who remembers a lot of the people mentioned in the book.In his opinion,best sports book ever

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but..., 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Ghost of White Hart Lane: In Search of My Father the Football Legend (Hardcover)
I am persevering with this because I find the subject matter especially interesting, but the further I go with the book, the more some niggling factual errors creep in - a couple around the time of the reference to the late John White making contact at a seance, which stretches credibility somewhat. I clearly remember as a kid Shoot! soccer magazine starting when I was 10 in 1969 and yet on Page 142 it is quoted from 1960; on the following page, there is a reference to Spurs being on a run to the FA Cup final in March 1960 and yet an earlier chapter says they were knocked out of the cup in the 1959-60 season by Blackburn (which is correct - Spurs won the league and cup double in 1960-61). Minor on the face of it, maybe, but this is clearly a labour of love on the part of Rob White and better proof-reading would have made it a great read, not just a good one. Add these to other erroneous instances such as the 'town of Raith' reference highlighted by a previous reviewer and the read is undermined by constantly wondering what else might be wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good service, 2 May 2011
Bought the book as a gift for a footy mad dad, so haven't read it. Service great and delivered promptly. No complaints.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oooops, 19 May 2011
Very moving story about a player who would, without doubt, have went on to become one of the greats. I'm about half way through the book and have just read a passage on a game between Falkirk (who John played for) and Raith Rovers which states that "the towns of Falkirk and Raith are barely fifteen miles apart, and the local rivalry added an extra edge".
Well, there isn't a town called Raith, the Rovers play in a town called Kirkcaldy, and it's about 23 miles from Falkirk. That famous "dancing in the streets of Raith" faux pas from the 1960s seems to have made a comeback.
I'm now a little bit sceptical about other "facts" in the book. Very poor research/proof reading guys

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›