5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best
The book was the best autobiography I have read since Stuart Imlachs. Both written by sons of the subject. I first saw John play at Hillsborough when he made his Spurs debut.I was also fortunate enough to get his autograph(as I recall he arrived on his own and not on the coach).
The book arrived on the Monday and I'd read it by Wednesday.
It's easy to sense the...
Published on 23 Mar 2011 by joned

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but...
I am persevering with this because I find the subject matter especially interesting, but the further I go with the book, the more some niggling factual errors creep in - a couple around the time of the reference to the late John White making contact at a seance, which stretches credibility somewhat. I clearly remember as a kid Shoot! soccer magazine starting when I was 10...
Published on 25 Jun 2012 by Nick Rudd

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost of White Hart Lane, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Ghost of White Hart Lane: In Search of My Father the Football Legend (Hardcover)
This was a Fantastic book full of surprises and not knowing what was around the corner really sad at times but a very good book indeed

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for a Spurs Fan, 28 Dec 2012
If you were a Spurs supporter in the 60s you will like this book. Lots of information and memories of the "good old days"s".

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!!!!!, 16 Dec 2012
This is a brilliant book about a "TRUELY GREAT FOOTBALLER WHO WAS TAKEN AHEAD OF HIS TIME". I would recommend it to all who lived through "his era" and saw him play, along with anyone, especially Spurs supporters, who is interested in "proper footballers, not prima-donners". A BRILLIANT READ!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Legend of The Lane!, 14 Jun 2011
J. HOLMES (uk) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed reading this book, which is similar in many ways to the Stuart Imlach biography of his father.
It conjures up a vivid picture of the late 50s and early 60s, and the totally different lifestyle of the top players in those days - no flash cars, WAGs and exclusive night clubs for them. They were little different from the supporters, and didn't earn much more either!

I never saw John White, although I started watching Spurs in 1964, but every Spurs supporter knows his name, not just because of the tragic circumstances surrounding his death, but because he was a truly outstanding player.

The book brings the man, his team, and the time in which he lived, alive very eloquently, and was a most enjoyable, if ultimately rather sad read.

However, John White will forever be a Legend of White hart Lane!

4.0 out of 5 stars Red hot spur, 4 May 2011
The Ghost of White Hart Lane is far more than a sporting memoir. Authors Rob White and Julie Welch have taken us on a journey back to the days when Tottenham Hotspur was a household name in world football, both to savour the atmosphere of those times 50 years ago, and also to seek out the essence of a father, John White, that one of the authors never knew. But it is handled with such a light touch, that what could be mawkish is truly moving, almost, dare I say it, religious in its subtlety. At the same time, the recreation of those years, 1959-1964, when John White was at Tottenham say so much about the human qualities of players on 20 quid a week that shame the many pampered, tantrum-throwing adolescents in football socks of today. Sure the temptation is there for the authors to descend into bathos and didacticism about where Spurs subsequently lost the plot, but, apart from a fleeting comment that "Spurs did not evolve", they rightly leave those questions to other forums. A fine read, that brought tears to these Australian, Spurs-loving eyes of mine. Even Arsenal fans might be grudgingly moved.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost of White Hart Lane, 24 Mar 2011
A brilliantly told story of the Spurs legend John White. It works as a biography, story of how Sir Bill formed the 61 double team and a social commentary of life in the 50s and 60s.

The book is a must read for all football fans. I most enjoyed Rob's journey of discovery in trying to find the dad he didn't know but had heard so much about from other people. You also get a feel for the honesty and values that the players held and how they enjoyed simpler times.

You don't need to be a spurs fan to read this book. It's a real family story told in a touching way.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sad loss, 18 Mar 2013
Mr. P. Skeldon (sohar, oman) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book, mainly because it brought back so many memories of games that I saw either in person or on the box. White was one of the greats but we didn't get to see him for very long. The parts written by the son are excellent on his life as the son of a great footballer he never knew. The parts by Julie Welch are a well written account of White's career at Spurs. I would recommend this to any fan, especially those of a certain age. I think the modern fan would do well to reflect on the dignity displayed by players and fans in White's era.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 8 Oct 2012
I have really enjoyed this book - as a Spurs fan since 1968, this brought back many memories of how good John White was. I liked the way it was written. A previous reviewer said that it was a page-turner, and I would agree. Nice one (Cyril !!).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glorious Tribute, 6 July 2012
K. Edwards (Essex) - See all my reviews
I have now brought 4 copies of this book for myself and friends, it is quiet simply one of the most evocative and moving books I have ever read.This book is in essence a journey by the author Rob White in discovering about his father,John White a Spurs and Scotland footballer in the early 60's who was tragically killed by lightning whilst at the height of his career, his son Rob was 6 months old. This book conjures up brilliantly his search for the man his father was, not just as a footballer but as a person. John White played in the great Spurs Double team of 1960/61 and this book gives an insight into the life of a footballer during this period and their interaction with fans, the media, the club.
I shed a few tears whilst reading Rob's journey in discovering his father and a 89 year old friend of mine, Jim who saw John White play admitted the same whilst also adding that the modern day equivalent of John White would be Lionel Messi.
This is a book not just for Spurs fans but for anyone interested in social and football history in the 60's and for a warm and moving homage to a father.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious Glory Glory, 26 Jan 2012
Received as a gift, and read during a hospital visit, this fabulous account of the true Glory Glory days should be in all Spurs fans possession. A fascinating insight, poignantly written, of the loss of one of the greatest players to represent THFC, and also of how the whole team gelled, providing the exciting football we are now beginning to recreate.

The Ghost of White Hart Lane: In Search of My Father the Football Legend