5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book.
Published 16 months ago by J. B. Egan

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it except for the tiny print
Published 15 months ago by Ms. C. J. Mcelwee

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 6 Aug 2013
J. B. Egan "ridgeway" (somerset, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
Had high expectations of this book from reading the early reviews. I think it excellent both for the text and photos. The breadth of coverage, the detail, the quality of writing and the expert opinion are all there. The structure of the book is very helpful in getting to a particular subject and then leads you further into the subject. Its focus being the relationship between birds and people, as the eponymous title flags up, makes it much more than a natural history volume, though there a lot of that there too plus folklore, history, culture and ecology. The author speaks plainly of the devastating impact on bird species of human depredations and , at times, it feels like an epitaph is being written as more and more species are dying off as habitat destruction, farming methods and poaching take their toll. This is a book to keep close at hand for continued use, not just as reference but for the pleasure of reading it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for any civilised birder, 4 Aug 2013
mia (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
This book arrived a few days ago and I have to admit that I have not read all the 400,000+ words, but I don't have to, to be able to tell you that this is a fantastic book.

It is a book to dip into for knowledge and pleasure. I have dipped into some of those places where I know something, to see what the author had to say, and haven't been disappointed. And when you dip, you will find that the next entry keeps your attention and makes you keep reading with pleasure. Hours can pass in this way if you aren't strict about rationing yourself.

You can spend a lot of time just looking at the pictures - and you shouldn't feel bad about that. David Tipling's photographs add a lot to a marvellous book.

This book will not go on my bookshelf - it will move around the house with me so that I can dip and sample and taste and peruse. It should have been published when the days are shorter, the nights are longer and an open fire is welcoming. At the moment it is too great a distraction from going out looking at birds and butterflies.

I have, even with only little sips of the oceans of knowledge contained within these pages, learned quite a few things. Did you know about the chalk kiwi at Bulford - I didn't and I was surprised that I didn't? I knew a little of the Yawar festivals of the Andes, and the roles of condors and bulls, but I was glad to learn more.

Mark Cocker is a friend of mine and his conversation is laced with the knowledge and anecdotes that make this book so enjoyable. I believe him when he writes that it would be possible to write twenty times as much as is contained within these pages. I'd love to see the accounts that had to be excised for this book to be manageable. I'd love to see a second volume in a few years time.

At the Amazon price it is phenomenal value for money - cheaper per page than almost any bird book I know - and so valuable in terms of giving more pleasure per page than most bird books I know.

Birds and People by Mark Cocker is published by Jonathan Cape and is available on Amazon as is Mark Avery's book Fighting for Birds.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of socio-ornithology, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
I read a sparkling review of this work in The Telegraph and as I already have Birds Britannica by Cocker thought it should be on my to do list.

So when Amazon offered it for £24.80 I bit the bullet and not a moment of regret. If you are not that bothered about birds this book will change your thoughts. If you (like me) are a keen word botcher then this book will add to your passion.

It is a beautiful volume, nae tome - to be dipped into rather than read from cover to cover.

It is a book I will be giving as Christmas presents..

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it except for the tiny print, 20 Sep 2013
Ms. C. J. Mcelwee "Caroline McElwee" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
This book would have made a present for two friends if it wasn't for the tiny print. It is stunning. If only they had taken the route of a double volume with sensible sized font.As I can only read it in small doses early in the day, it takes some of the pleasure away. I don't need glasses, and am not a pensioner, so I'm surprised the RSPB with many pensioner supporters would not have considered them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book - but, 22 Aug 2013
Mr. G. Bond "Geoff in Hove" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
There is no doubt this is a fantastic book - hundreds of pages packed with great information - beautiful pictures - but.........
The print is so small for me its not comfortable to read.
I use glasses to read and can read the bottom line of the card in the opticians they use to check your glasses when collecting.
I don't know the answer - bigger font more pages, no thanks its heavy enough now - or less information, no thanks.

I notice Amazon do not allow you to peek inside the book

I am so disappointed - I was really looking forward to this book but I just find it not comfortable to read

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that tells the whole story, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
What sets `Birds and People' apart is that it gives the full story, no matter how unpalatable it may be. The result is truth and a beauty made all the more precious by our impassioned response to those bird species that are in decline.
Then there is the past.

Take the fate of the Eskimo Curlew. On the plains of Nebraska in the early 1900's, the quantity of hunted, shot and heaped birds was described by one eyewitness as being "as large as a couple of tons of coal". The bodies were left to rot, the hunters lacking the inclination or the wherewithal to transport the birds to market, the attitude being that there were plenty more where they had come from. That together with habitat loss led to its extinction.

There is also hope and humour and the most wonderful photographs throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusual bird book but a really excellent read, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
Books about birds are common. How birds interact with human beings are rare. This book works well on both counts. The pictures within it are stunning. A fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book, as stated by a previous reviewer the print is quite small, this I think add's to the whole experience of this book, it will take a long time to read as the book contains 592 pages, it's very heavy and is packed with wonderful photographs.
It is a credit to Mark Cocker and David Tipling and will be a worthy companion as we head into winter!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
A book to last a life time.So much to delve into here.Perfect for the coffee table to read another gem or take in the beautiful photographs.Well worth the money.Books like this do not come round that often, very pleased to have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "A world without birds would lay waste to the human heart.", 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Birds and People (Hardcover)
There are 10,500 species of bird worldwide, and throughout history wherever birds and humans coexist we have marvelled at their beautiful plumage and been entranced by their haunting songs, so much so that birds are embedded in our religions, folklore and arts (one species even has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, thanks to Woody Woodpecker).

But birds have also served a more practical purpose, whether for food or using their feathers for decoration. Author and naturalist Mark Cocker has undertaken the mammoth task of documenting this relationship between birds and humankind. His authoritative yet readable text is interspersed with contributions from more than 650 individuals (ranging from university professors to tribal peoples) in over eighty countries, and is accompanied by David Tipling's stunning photographs, in what must be the definitive book on the subject.

This is a bird book where the focus is on birds' wider historical and cultural significance ("a source book on why we cherish birds," Mark calls it), and shows why humankind needs to concern itself with the conservation of other species: "A world without birds would lay waste to the human heart."

Birds and People
Birds and People by Mark Cocker (Hardcover - 1 Aug 2013)