5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic and moving read ...
Having been a fan of cycling since I can remember, the story of the alleged drug taking British cyclist who died in 1967 has always fascinated me. This book was a recommended read by a fellow cycling enthusiast who assured me it was not a book that made assumptions. I am so glad I've read it as the author is fair in every aspect of the history of this amazing man, Tom...
Published on 28 Jun 2007 by H de Fanque

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Best cycling biog ever?'
You can't beat an autobiography to get in the mind of a sportsman and this seems to spend a lot of time justifing conclusions and criticisms. Like 'Match of the Day', replaying the goal from every angle umpteen times, this does keep returning to the moment Simpson fell from his bike, but that's what people want to know, I guess. It hints at fascinating stories of fixed...
Published 12 months ago by Matthew Bakewell

5.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson (Yellow Jersey Cycling Classics) (Paperback)
I couldn't believe how the so called experts did not realise that not drinking water/fluid would endanger life. Compounded by the drugs and alcohol it was a lethal cocktail. Interesting read, and the so called greats of the time were all dopers

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and balanced...., 13 May 2013
I read a lot of cycling books and this is one of the best a fascinating story well told and well researched. The book manages admiration with a heavy does of reality and sets the scene behind modern cyclings drug issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, 18 April 2013
A fascinating story and one which anyone interested in cycling, or indeed in sport generally, should read. It certainly puts more recent events into perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings to life the story of the first great British cyclist, 12 Feb 2013
After reading the book you realise how important Tom Simpson was in developing professional cycling in the UK. Without him there might not have been any of the recent UK success on the track or road. It is a shame his death is all most people know of the man. Greatness is not necessarily a measure of your results but how you are remembered. It is clear that great riders retain a magical power over their peers and public - however long ago they rode (or died). I am only sad that I was not aware of the exploits of Tom Simpson while he was alive. This book brings you as close as you possibly could to meeting Tom Simpson today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 17 Jan 2013
Mark Palmer - See all my reviews
Really good, epic book about a truely inspirational British cyclist who died on a very famous climb in a very famous race.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic on wheels!, 20 Nov 2012
I really only became interested in cycling as my son elected to cycle up Mont Ventoux. It is impossible not to be sympathetic to such a charismatic and driven human being as Tom Simpson, even in the light of the current drug problems. The practice being driven by the trainers and promoters (nothing new there then) the way the book switched from the story being told by the writer and the clips from the diary build the drama of the eventual demise of Tom Simpson on the Ventoux. I appreciate that he is kept at a low profile in sport because of the drug issues but he was a remarkable man. I think he looks a bit like Bradley Wiggins!

5.0 out of 5 stars Put me back on my bike, 27 Mar 2012
A must read, awe inspiring. Made all the better by the author true love of biking. Would recommend a good read to any dedicated biker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and moving true story, 23 Mar 2012
Kimberly Menozzi (Reggio Emilia, Italy) - See all my reviews
I really admired Fotheringham's balanced approach to his subject. It's sometimes too easy to give in and be defensive when you genuinely like the person you're writing about, and Simpson clearly was a likeable man.

Fotheringham kept enough distance to write about where Simpson went wrong, and how Simpson's death was a tragedy brought on not only by the amphetamines in his system, but by his determination to ride himself into oblivion, which cost him his life a short distance from the summit of Mont Ventoux.

This reader was left with a pervasive sense of loss upon finishing the book. I'd found the book remarkably moving, the prose exceptionally profound in places, and like the author himself, I found myself wishing I could spend more time in Simpson's company. Sadly, tragically, this is of course impossible.

As a result of Fotheringham's descriptive writing, his in-depth approach to his subject, and his frank honesty, I can genuinely say I will never look at Tom Simpson - or even Mont Ventoux - the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put Me Back on My Bike, 15 Sep 2011
Mr. James Hall (Mallorca) - See all my reviews
A very well researched and written book. I have more books about the late Tom Simpson, and found this one to be about the most interesting and absorbing.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU LOVE CYCLING, A MUST READ, 6 Sep 2011
Mr Tom was my sporting hero rather than any footballers in the 60's. This book is a fantastic insight into his life and cycling career, from a young boy to his untimely end in the TDF. A must read. Tom, we still miss you. Cav, Wiggo and the GB boys are following in your footsteps. Dave, East Yorkshire.

6.29