5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic and moving read ...
Published on 28 Jun 2007 by H de Fanque

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Best cycling biog ever?'
Published 12 months ago by Matthew Bakewell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic and moving read ..., 28 Jun 2007
This review is from: Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson (Yellow Jersey Cycling Classics) (Paperback)
Having been a fan of cycling since I can remember, the story of the alleged drug taking British cyclist who died in 1967 has always fascinated me. This book was a recommended read by a fellow cycling enthusiast who assured me it was not a book that made assumptions. I am so glad I've read it as the author is fair in every aspect of the history of this amazing man, Tom Simpson. Yes he did take drugs but so did all the other cyclists. It was almost part of the way of competitive life then that one was left with no doubts that in order to complete the Tour it would be impossible to achieve without 'enhancing' drugs. I have visited the memorial stone where Tom died on Ventoux and have seen for myself how fans young and old feel a need to leave something there as a gesture yet the book describes this in such a wonderfully descriptive way that if fans never have the chance to go, the book will be a very good substitute. My admiration goes to William Fotheringham who has covered a delicate subject so well - I only wish and hope that the bad press that has surrounded this great man's death is one day put completely behind so that we can then celebrate what Tom achieved by being Britain's greatest ever cyclist.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Best cycling biog ever?', 3 July 2013
Matthew Bakewell "MattyB" (Moray) - See all my reviews
You can't beat an autobiography to get in the mind of a sportsman and this seems to spend a lot of time justifing conclusions and criticisms. Like 'Match of the Day', replaying the goal from every angle umpteen times, this does keep returning to the moment Simpson fell from his bike, but that's what people want to know, I guess. It hints at fascinating stories of fixed races, excessive drug-taking and a lifestyle pushed to the boundaries, but the anecdotes don't have the rich detail that some sporting autobigraphies provide. Superficial.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reminder the English world champion, 1 Aug 2010
always good to read the epics that Tom Simpson attained in his hard cycling life....a pioneer from the early days when soiltary cyclists ventured to try their chances in the bike racing game in Europe...

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy simpson put me back on my bike, 9 Mar 2010
I was interested in Tommy Simpson because he was a British rider in a European dominated sport. He was the son of a miner and I always wondered how he rose from humble beginings to be a world road race champion. He was born in Heselden, county Durham which is not a stones throw from where I now live which also intrigued me. The book centers around that fateful day on the Ventoux but also fills in information about Simpsons life. He appeared to have it all, money, a playboy life style on the continent, property and an amazing future but all was lost on that day.
Read the book and make up your own mind. I have also read the Pantani book and it left me feeling a little cheated by Pantani, was he a great rider or did drugs make him a great rider. If I had been alive during Simpsons day and following him in the cycling magazines I might have felt the same way about him but I dont.

4.0 out of 5 stars fallen hero, 11 Aug 2009
I have mixed feelings about this book. As an aspiring club and racing cyclist in the sixties Tom Simpson was a boyhood hero for me. Having left the sport shortly after his death I have somehow managed, in the intervening years, to remain in blissful ignorance of the real detailed storey behind his death, other than the fact, that drugs may have played some part in his untimely death. I thus found this book immensely sad and moving.

On reflection I suppose I am glad I have finally heard what would appear to be the full storey. I still greatly admire Tom for his talent and his utter determination to get where he wanted to be, but time has taught me that hero's are something else, mainly unheard of nameless people who dedicate their life to maybe a disabled relative or others in need, often not through choice, but duty.

Because this book tells you the full storey of Tom's short life, in a sympathetic, clear, and in an absorbingly interesting unbiased way without being judgemental, I would recommend it to any cyclist or anyone else interested in sport in general.

I did not give it five stars for one simple reason, my personal preference is that a book should be progressive in the time frame it covers and this book tended to be constructed in a series of stories. However the content is excellent and engrossing and this is just a small point. Perhaps I am being picky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 July 2014
A good in-sight into the life of Tom Simpson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reminder of the past and a look to the future of doping in cycling, 26 May 2014
Great read you really get to know Simpson and the way it was back in the day really enjoyable book.

4.0 out of 5 stars a well researched account, 10 Jan 2014
jackie surridge (huntly, aberdeenshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
William Fotheringham has done a lot of research on and is obviously in great admiration for Tom Simpson. An interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 10 Oct 2013
I knew very little about Tom Simpson before reading this and enjoyed the book immensely and finished it in a few days as couldn't put it down. Very balanced and well researched content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present, 4 Oct 2013
I bought this book for a cycling fan. He has always said that Tommy Simpson was his all time hero and that was why I bought it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›