5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic and moving read ...
Published on 28 Jun. 2007 by H de Fanque

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Best cycling biog ever?'
Published 21 months ago by Matthew Bakewell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic and moving read ..., 28 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson (Yellow Jersey Cycling Classics) (Paperback)
Having been a fan of cycling since I can remember, the story of the alleged drug taking British cyclist who died in 1967 has always fascinated me. This book was a recommended read by a fellow cycling enthusiast who assured me it was not a book that made assumptions. I am so glad I've read it as the author is fair in every aspect of the history of this amazing man, Tom Simpson. Yes he did take drugs but so did all the other cyclists. It was almost part of the way of competitive life then that one was left with no doubts that in order to complete the Tour it would be impossible to achieve without 'enhancing' drugs. I have visited the memorial stone where Tom died on Ventoux and have seen for myself how fans young and old feel a need to leave something there as a gesture yet the book describes this in such a wonderfully descriptive way that if fans never have the chance to go, the book will be a very good substitute. My admiration goes to William Fotheringham who has covered a delicate subject so well - I only wish and hope that the bad press that has surrounded this great man's death is one day put completely behind so that we can then celebrate what Tom achieved by being Britain's greatest ever cyclist.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Best cycling biog ever?', 3 July 2013
Matthew Bakewell "MattyB" (Moray) - See all my reviews
You can't beat an autobiography to get in the mind of a sportsman and this seems to spend a lot of time justifing conclusions and criticisms. Like 'Match of the Day', replaying the goal from every angle umpteen times, this does keep returning to the moment Simpson fell from his bike, but that's what people want to know, I guess. It hints at fascinating stories of fixed races, excessive drug-taking and a lifestyle pushed to the boundaries, but the anecdotes don't have the rich detail that some sporting autobigraphies provide. Superficial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy simpson put me back on my bike, 9 Mar. 2010
I was interested in Tommy Simpson because he was a British rider in a European dominated sport. He was the son of a miner and I always wondered how he rose from humble beginings to be a world road race champion. He was born in Heselden, county Durham which is not a stones throw from where I now live which also intrigued me. The book centers around that fateful day on the Ventoux but also fills in information about Simpsons life. He appeared to have it all, money, a playboy life style on the continent, property and an amazing future but all was lost on that day.
Read the book and make up your own mind. I have also read the Pantani book and it left me feeling a little cheated by Pantani, was he a great rider or did drugs make him a great rider. If I had been alive during Simpsons day and following him in the cycling magazines I might have felt the same way about him but I dont.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful insight, 23 Nov. 2009
Keith Batchelor (Hundleby, Spilsby, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
The world of professional cycling has been synonymously linked with drugs and alcohol.

Few people can appreciate what it takes to ride 2-3 thousand miles over a 3 week period and keep going, yet alone be competitive. Now, you can argue there are no excuses for getting into drugs in the first place. But if you read the book you'll come to appreciate that its not as simple at that.

Riding through rain, snow and blistering heat is enough to keep you firmly planted in your cosy chair, yet alone get the dust off the bike and pump the tyres up.

These types of drugs then were not illegal at the time; frowned upon yes, but wildly used none the less.

Simpson got caught up in this crazy world of stimulants to keep you pumped during the day, then dugs of a different sort to make you sleep at night - repeat for 3 weeks on a grand tour. Repeat again and again over the months and years, until the body has no clue what to do.

A fire for fame and fortune burnt large in Simpson's heart, but with this cocktail.. (or time bomb), something had to give.

A lot has happened since 1967 when Simpson died on Mt. Ventoux, but look through the record books and see how else succumbed to the astral heights and the spiral of death.

Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and moving true story, 23 Mar. 2012
Kimberly Menozzi (Reggio Emilia, Italy) - See all my reviews
I really admired Fotheringham's balanced approach to his subject. It's sometimes too easy to give in and be defensive when you genuinely like the person you're writing about, and Simpson clearly was a likeable man.

Fotheringham kept enough distance to write about where Simpson went wrong, and how Simpson's death was a tragedy brought on not only by the amphetamines in his system, but by his determination to ride himself into oblivion, which cost him his life a short distance from the summit of Mont Ventoux.

This reader was left with a pervasive sense of loss upon finishing the book. I'd found the book remarkably moving, the prose exceptionally profound in places, and like the author himself, I found myself wishing I could spend more time in Simpson's company. Sadly, tragically, this is of course impossible.

As a result of Fotheringham's descriptive writing, his in-depth approach to his subject, and his frank honesty, I can genuinely say I will never look at Tom Simpson - or even Mont Ventoux - the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reminder the English world champion, 1 Aug. 2010
always good to read the epics that Tom Simpson attained in his hard cycling life....a pioneer from the early days when soiltary cyclists ventured to try their chances in the bike racing game in Europe...

5.0 out of 5 stars A damn good book!, 29 Jan. 2010
Sad and realistic. The author depicts TS as he really was and does not attempt to blur fact with fiction.His obsessions with diet and putting his family last speak of a driven character. Simpson was a flawed man, and he probably knew this better than any. But he was also an inspiration to those of us who grew up in the 60's with aspirations to emulate him. His demise was almost predictable, as he became more fixated and desperate to succeed - whatever the odds.
Simpson probably represented all that is good and bad in the world of cycling and this still holds true today. There is still the need to win whatever the cost...nothing changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic on wheels!, 20 Nov. 2012
I really only became interested in cycling as my son elected to cycle up Mont Ventoux. It is impossible not to be sympathetic to such a charismatic and driven human being as Tom Simpson, even in the light of the current drug problems. The practice being driven by the trainers and promoters (nothing new there then) the way the book switched from the story being told by the writer and the clips from the diary build the drama of the eventual demise of Tom Simpson on the Ventoux. I appreciate that he is kept at a low profile in sport because of the drug issues but he was a remarkable man. I think he looks a bit like Bradley Wiggins!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written tragic story, 13 Aug. 2014
A tragic story brilliantly told about the death of (at that time) the greatest British cyclist who had ever raced. Tommy Simpson was a victim of drugs, the system that operated at the time and the regulations which were enforced (such as limiting the amount of water riders were allowed to have). A great companion to the death on the mountain film, this book examines Tommy in much greater detail and brings home the absolute tragedy of his death.

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener, 3 Jun. 2011
I found this book to be a revelation! I saw Tom Simpson ride a Good Friday meeting at Herne Hill in the 1960's and he was clearly a class act.
I found the descriptions of the agent system and Simpson's burning desire very illuminating. I was also shocked and dismayed to learn hydration was so misunderstood at the time.
This is a excellent insight to the 'hunger' of a talented and driven cyclist who pushed himself too far

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›