5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and Insightful
I've never read any other Tim Moore, but I must say that this book did not keep me wanting from laughs... admittedly not the 'out-loud' kind, but each page kept me continuously and noticeably amused--it's calmly funny throughout, and extremely enjoyable to read.

Published on 25 Nov 2008 by Maelan G

2.0 out of 5 stars A sad drop in form
I love early Tim Moore and I count French Revolutions as one of my favourite books of all time. However the last three volumes have all been progressively less and less funny.
I worry that the density of his early works humour, with a good quip on every other line, has mined out his seam of humour.
Time to try another genre perhaps?
This book is mildly...
Published on 30 Oct 2008 by J. Brennan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and Insightful, 25 Nov 2008
This review is from: I Believe In Yesterday: My Adventures in Living History (Paperback)

As for the content itself--hilarious; I have never seen (or rather, read) such a tangle of living history. The narrative moves quickly along a long and mishap-strewn path, avoiding many conceits of living history but also conveying lots of useful history and insights into the world of its re-enactment. A huge range of stuff here, and interesting for anyone who has even a passing interest in what the world of re-creation is like.

4.0 out of 5 stars Observant and amusing, 2 Jan 2009
Having never read a Tim Moore book before I was drawn to this title due to my own experiences in the 'nactors world. I can only assume that those who have given poor reviews to this book are not re-enactors as i found Moore's astute observations of the antics of those he met on his journey to be highly amusing. Indeed they often left me nodding in agreement as similar personal encounters of my own were brought to mind!
I really enjoyed this book and will probably try some more Tim Moore in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for re-enactors & MOPs, 31 Dec 2008
Tim Moore describes the obsessive yet self-conscious world of re-enactors perfectly. The juxtaposition of stitch counting authenticity with late night partying describes every group I know. A lot of the time we know we look like 'berks'.

As a bit of a time-tart I've done half the time periods in the book so could identify on many levels with what was going on. & any book that can get me to laugh out loud in the introduction is a rarity.

Tim balances his laughs, most of which are directed at himself not the re-enactors with short history lessons & insights into the motivations of living historians. Although it's a light book you can tell he has done his research and been won over by the people that he meets. Without being nostalgic he ponders the loss of skills in the modern western world - our inability to 'make do' or in a lot of cases make anything. Our lives are luxurious compared to those of our parents/grandparents and most people don't even know how to bake bread or light a fire...

It's a must read book for all re-enactors and anyone who wants to make the cross over from MOP to participant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read!, 6 Nov 2008
One of Tim's best books to date.
Explores the odd world of historical re-enacting from the inside and manages to be truthful and funny without being to excessively look-at-the-weirdos-aren't-I-clever.
Loved it. Buy it.
PS If you're thinking of joining a re-enactment group this is definitely a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and fun, 18 Oct 2008
I. Hunter (London) - See all my reviews
I have read all of Tim's book and would rate this in the top quartile of his portfolio of writings (that's a good thing). Tim 'time travels' to a number or historical re-enactment groups who prefer the past to the current. Its funny and pleasingly short (248 pages) and each page has a laugh-out loud moment. There are a number of poignant moments and reflections which give the book greater depth than some of his earlier works. On par with Spanish Steps and French Revolutions and its difficult to say better than that. I wish he had done one of those dodgy Nazi groups though. They would have been ripe for the plucking by Tim's wit and cutting humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enactors through the times, 21 Oct 2014
Douglas Kemp (Wellingborough) - See all my reviews
Tim Moore, known more for his amusing travel books, has written a wonderfully funny and intelligent account of his seven experiences in various periods and locations of “living history” or re-enactment. These range from Iron Age England to the 19th Century US Civil War. He is searingly self-honest and is prepared to laugh at himself as well as the occasionally easy targets of those who enthusiastically embrace this expanding phenomenon of trying to live in and recreate the past. These groups range form uncommitted amateurs, to those who are essentially looking for a good brutal fight, and more recently, to the impossible and almost ideological Holy Grail of pure historical authenticity where no aspect of the contemporary life is allowed to contaminate the unadulterated purity of the past. Living history participants can seem a bit, well wacky, but like most human endeavours it attracts a range of people, from thoroughly decent sociable folk to those who anyone would want to avoid in any situation, and certainly not when they are tooled up with a variety of ancient and potentially lethal weaponry. A delight to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 1 Sep 2011
I wouldn't rate this as one of Tim Moore's best books but it still provides his unique style of humour and writing in large enough quantities to get you laughing and leave you entertained. The historical angle, as present in all of his books, adds depth to the book beyond the comedy and it is clear that Moore is knowledgable and has researched his subject well.

2.0 out of 5 stars A sad drop in form, 30 Oct 2008
Time to try another genre perhaps?
This book is mildly entertaining at best even though the targets are eminently easy to parody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 19 Jan 2009
After the horrible Nul Points I wasn't sure what to think. Would this master of the insightful travelogue come out with another 300 pages of dross? Not a bit of it. Tim is truly back on form with this masterpiece, bringing us on another journey - through time. We get a sense of the privations the human race went through to get us here - and we're still evolving rapidly. His writing is intensely descriptive, giving the reader a real sense of being beside him as he braves his own incompetence to give us a view into what is literally another world. I'm on my third reread and still find it entertaining - a trademark of Moore's books. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is Moore having fun yet? Mmm ... apparently not., 30 Mar 2014
Joseph Haschka (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Author Tim Moore specializes in tales of self-inflicted travel misadventure which, however, are likely to amuse the reader as much as watching some unfortunate get dropped into a county fair's dunk tank. Perhaps the best example of his writing I've read to date is You Are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Through Unloved Britain.

Herein I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY, Moore explores those phenomena known as "historical reenactments" in a participatory survey that places him in an Iron Age village (25 AD), a Gallic camp of the Legio VIII Augusta (190 AD), a Viking combat competition (900 AD), a 15th century Swiss castle held by the Burgundians, a 16th century Tudor manor house, the Kentucky woods traveled by a goods-transport wagoner and his four-ox team (1775), and, finally, into the American Civil War's Red River Campaign of 1864.

Once again ‒ or, in this case, again times seven ‒ Tim conclusively demonstrates to himself and the reader how unsuited he is to be participating in the activity of the moment; for his own well-being, his wife probably shouldn't let him leave the house. Such a continuing theme might become monotonous if it wasn't for the safe-deprecatory dry humor the author employs while describing a range of period reconstructions that may leave the reader either marveling "Way cool!" or "Who's got the free time?" In either case, Moore has successfully fulfilled his self-appointed mission as a travel essayist and humorist.

Occasionally, even, the author is capable of a trenchant observation, as this one concerning the real-life casualties (e.g. heart attacks and heat strokes) incurred in the present-day Red River affair:

"... modern America ‒ a nation idling along in its bloated comfort zone, the lean and hungry pioneer spirit now distilled down to an overproof obsession with high-calibre self defense. The get up and go had got up and gone ... You could turn up here with the most authentic, most expensive kit ... but if anyone thought you could actually carry yourself and a reproduction muzzle-loading Springfield up and down a few hills they were whistling Dixie."

The 1861 model Springfield rifle weighed nine pounds. I guess it's time to up the tempo of those gym workouts.

I Believe In Yesterday: My Adventures in Living History
I Believe In Yesterday: My Adventures in Living History by Tim Moore (Paperback - 2 Oct 2008)
Usually dispatched within 10 to 13 days