4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely picture novel...
For anyone looking for the next 'Time Travellers Wife' this book is not for you. It is however, a beautifully designed picture novel which could easily be read in minutes but spending a little longer looking at each image makes the experience of 'reading' this well worthwhile.

Published on 12 Feb 2007 by Heather

3.0 out of 5 stars Work of love
Published on 13 Mar 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Work of love, 13 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
Swayed by a Sunday Times review, I bought this book and it is certainly a lovely looking work and obviously a labour of love. Each page is a colour illustration with minimal text, since the story is told through the pictures. Don't be put off by the title, there is nothing perverted about this story! It's a tale of love, jealousy, loss and redemption and is a lovely thing to own, especially at the Amazon price! It wasn't something I, personally, would come back to again and again so I have passed it on to someone else to enjoy but at such a good price for such a nice looking thing, take a chance and find out for yourself!

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely picture novel..., 12 Feb 2007
Heather "star_reader" (Leeds, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)

The illustrations are fantastically quirky, the story is both sad and funny and all in all this is a really unique book that will take pride of place on any bookshelf.

Well worth a look

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely and hypnotic, 24 Sep 2005
A. C. Walter "awalter" (Lynnwood, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
Here it is--Audrey Niffenegger's strange follow-up to her wildly popular novel "The Time Traveler's Wife." The new book is a "visual novel" of 176 pages and can be read in well under an hour--though, hopefully, you'll spend days pouring over the gorgeous pictures. Open up the book and you find that for every picture on a right-hand page there is a brief narrative caption on the left-hand page. I can best describe the artwork as being a lot like Edward Gorey (actually, the whole aesthetic of the book is Gorey-esque), a bit like Gustav Klimt (imagine Gorey getting it into his head to do Klimt figures), and not a small bit like the art of Dominic Kulcsar on his website The Wmmvrrvrrmm Place--really, up till now Dominic is the only person I know of who made good use of floating fetuses.
And the book isn't as creepy as it sounds. The "incest" business comes in this way. . . The story concerns three lonely sisters. The youngest sister falls in love with a strange man, and the oldest sister becomes wickedly jealous, thinking that she too loves the young man. When the youngest sister becomes pregnant, the middle sister begins a mystical relationship with the fetus, becoming her unborn nephew's spiritual mentor. That's about as weird as it gets--but I suppose that's weird enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Angels and ghosts, 12 Aug 2010
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
Three sisters who live alone in an isolated house on the edge of town have their lives disrupted when a handsome young man falls in love with one of the sisters. The pair escape to town when one sister becomes jealous of the couple to the point where she plots to break up the union and take the man for herself. Things go badly, deaths occur, and out of the mess emerges a winged green boy.

The book feels like a dream or a fairy tale. There's minimal text to accompany the large and beautiful drawings, in fact the text seems to be almost titles of the pictures on the opposite page. This serves to tell the story at quite a fast pace so you're turning pages quickly and so it feels like an animated short rather than a book. But going back and looking at the pictures themselves, you can see Niffenegger has put a lot of effort into them. They feel as if they belong to a different time, perhaps early 19th century childrens' books.

I'm not sure if I can recommend buying it as it's quite expensive and it is a very quick read. The book is very well produced but, for me anyway, it's not the sort of book that I'll go back to again and again so I'm not sure I can recommend buying it. If, like me, you see it in the library though, it's worth it to pick up and have a read. It's a haunting vision of a tale that's not quite a picture book, not quite a comic book, but very much a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange and Beautiful, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
I adored this book. It is strange and otherworldly. I feel it brought out all of the best qualities of The Time Traveller's Wife and magnified them. A wonderful book with gorgeous, haunting illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
Pictures are superb... I love this book!

It's not like her novels so expect something completely different, if not a little weird and wonderful.

It tells a very short but brilliant story and the illustrations are (in my mind) quite brilliant.

Thoroughly recommend!

2.0 out of 5 stars my thoughts so far..., 2 Jun 2010
S. M. Donohue "Steph" (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
I just received this book this morning. Ive got to admit I was surprised and disappointed at the fact that its a novel in pictures. I didnt feel this was made clear. However, having absolutely loved The Time Travelers Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry, I am declaring myself a fan!!

I've opened the book and had a quick peek but am saving it for when Ive more time to appreciate it then. Ill give an honest rating then. I must point out that whilst I was initially disappointed Im now thoroughly looking forward to it. If its anywhere near as good as the others Ive read, Im in for a treat!!

(please note that as I HAD to give a rating Ive put 3* for now, I shall amend this later)

*added later* Ive got to say this is not my thing, I tried to enjoy and appreciate it for what it is but its just not for me. In fact it bored me. I cant give one star as apparently that means I hate it, this is a little strong, 2 stars it is :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Another book of illustrations, 24 Mar 2010
E. Morgan (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
Having read the Time travellers wife, I was very dissapointed with this book. This book is pretty, bound really nicely but not a novel, its just a book filled with picutures and one sentence on each page. Nothing like Time travellers wife.

1.0 out of 5 stars returned, 9 Sep 2010
Mrs. Sheila A. Mcglynn "noddy" (windsor,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
I returned this book and another from the same author as they were PICTURE BOOKS.. I am not entirely certain that this was clearly displayed when i purchased them I have enjoyed a couple of books by this author and was looking forward to reading two more. sadly disappointed when they arrived, and huge books too.!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Three Incestuous Sisters, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Three Incestuous Sisters (Hardcover)
Beautiful pictures, but the story is very strange & took about 20 mins to read. Not suitable for children in my opinion.

The Three Incestuous Sisters
The Three Incestuous Sisters by Audrey Niffenegger (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2005)
13.76