5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!
This is a truly excellent book! Not only does Mike Stroud provide accounts of some of his astonishing feats of endurance but he also intersperses them with fascinating scientific details of human performance.

Published on 30 April 2006 by Ant

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Extremely poor proof reading
This was a very enjoyable book, let down only by the extremely poor proof reading that had, or hadn't taken place. (On the kindle).
Published 22 months ago by Tristan

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 30 April 2006
Ant (Worcestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survival Of The Fittest: Understanding Health and Peak Physical Performance (Paperback)

He describes his own endeavours with great openness and explains that evolution has equipped everyone with greater physical performance than most people realise.

This book will inspire you to be more active! And it will probably remove excuses for avoiding exercise. It's also a terrific read and hard to put down. It impressed me so much that I bought two more copies to send to relatives - and I also tracked down a copy of 'Shadows on the Wasteland'. Well done Mike Stroud - and thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is my bible!, 1 Mar 2006
This book is absolutely fantastic. Mike Stroud is my hero, and this book is my bible. It is utterly inspiring, and makes everything seem acheivable. It is a fascinating mix of science, anthropology and biography which is completely gripping. Each chapter can be read in it's own right, which makes it very handy just to pick up and flick through. I've had this book for a couple of years now, and it's rarely on my shelf. It has spent longer being loaned out to friends, friends friends, friends of friends friends and so on, then any other book I own. Buy it, read it, be inspired and go out grab some fresh air and fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 15 Jan 2007
Glitterfoot (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book is well written and full of interesting information. The authors background (medical doctor and anthropology) means that this is a book that is grounded on solid medical reasoning and is miles away from some of the mumbo-jumbo, be-at-one-with-the-earth rubbish thats currently circulating.

A great read and an inspiring book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Formula for Longevity!, 19 April 2007
N. A. Thorley (Grand Bretagne) - See all my reviews
This book has changed my view on life, well, its opened my eyes to where I could be going wrong anyway. Linked by a lovingly crafted narrative of Mike's own exploits in the outdoors; crossing Antarctica, numerous adventure races, the famous Marathon de Sables and of course the London Marathon - Mike tells us how the body works, why, and how to optimise its capabilities. I would say this books target audience was the general public and sports enthusiasts as oppose to a physiologist's PhD research, its purpose is to teach us how to keep our hearts ticking for longer, faster and more efficient and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Juat amazing, 20 Sep 2008
Just read the updated version of this book. I loved the original book. This includes a section on how Dr Mike Stroud and Sir Ranulph Fiennes (listed by the Guniess Book of Records as the greatest living explorer)complete seven marathons in seven days on seven continents. This was several months after Sir Ralph had heart surgery.

These two were also the first two men to walk to both poles unaided. Mike Stroud is a highly acclaimed nutritionist and works with the UK's Famous (or infamous ???) SAS. Together with Helen Klein they also completed the ECO challeng when Helen was 72. A year later Mike had trained his 70 year old Dad who was healthy though only through hill walking to do the ECO challenge also. Its a book about the extremes the human body can be pushed to but at times humourous and highly motivating. An excellent read for anyone even remotely interested in fitness and health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Jun 2014
Mike Stroud is an inspiration, this book is insightful, encouraging, poignant and full of pure grit and determination. It was my constant companion and go to guide while training for my own marathon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating and easy to read., 23 Feb 2014
I'm a keen cyclist and moderately keen runner and loved this book. it is very well presented and easy to read as a combination of medical, evolutionary, travel and psychological writings. Very easy to pick up and put down, in-between marathons ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and inspirational, 8 Aug 2013
Marvelous book with the most lucid explanation of the body 'machine' I've ever read. I'd really like an index though, since the book flits between the author's experiences and descriptions of the relevant body process. This makes for a great read, but not so good for looking things up afterwards. The book is slightly old now though, and I'd perhaps take issue with some of his statements/advice in the light of more recent evidence. (But then, I haven't run the Marathon des Sables or crossed Antarctica! Its hard to argue with credentials like that..)
I'd say its required reading for anyone interested in health and fitness or venturing into the great outdoors. It will stay on my bookshelf for a long time. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top 5 books, 19 Jun 2013
This is a brilliant book on understanding how the body works in different conditions. It hugely increased my understanding of what is happening to my body when it is put under stress.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 9 Jun 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this from beginning to end and have picked up some potentially life saving tips and knowledge along the way. Now more inspired than ever to push myself out of my comfort zone and looking for my next challenge!

Survival Of The Fittest: Understanding Health and Peak Physical Performance