Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 January 2006
This book is truly wonderful, i have only just discovered Pablo Neruda and was amazed by the beauty of the poems. Twenty love poems is filled with touchingly intimate pieces. Neruda has the power to make the ordinary extraordinary. My particular favourites are 'I remember you as you were' and 'Tonight i can write'. I recommend this collection of poems to anyone.
on 18 March 2001
I was introduced to these poems just recently and I found them to be beautiful and heartbreaking. Reading them again brings back beautiful memories I never wish to forget. Each poem reaches inside and it's as if he thinks how you feel.
on 12 December 2000
Each of the twenty love poems is a little gem, a tribute to the genius of a man whose work speaks with gut wrenching emotion of the joys and sorrows of love. He merges sky and earth, the subtle nuances of feeling with the rich tapesty of nature and earth's bounty. His descriptive powers and degree of comprehension are on a par or beyond those of any other modern love poet.
I am a huge fan of Pablo's I have 7 of his books and find his breathtaking way with words beautiful. I love poetry but am very fussy about what I like as some poetry can be boring but Pablo's is wonderful.

This book is in English and Spanish, set out so that the Spanish version of the poem is on the left hand page and the English translatiomn is on the right. (very handy if you're learning Spanish!)

You will find yourself lingering over his poetry as it creates beautiful images in your mind, it's very romantic and sensual.

With lines like "Leaning into the afternoons I cast my sad nets towards your oceanic eyes" and "The light wraps you in its mortal flame" his descriptions and his way with words is wonderful.

I highly recommend his love poetry and this is one of my favourites of his, as well as "love poems"Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)

He has inspired some of my work to become more sensual!

Review by Juliette Westbrook-Finch, author of The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)
on 23 May 2010
This is a wonderful romantic poetry book, Pablo has a way with words that gives you images in your mind and you'll forget everything else around you as you're absorbed into the dream world he has created in your mind.

It is a dual language book having each poem in English and Spanish; it only contains 21 poems but they are of the highest quality and you will be left wanting to read more of his books!

I highly recommend it and if you enjoyed this you will also like his "100 Love Sonnets" and his "Love Poems"

Another book that's writen in a sensual way but also humorous is "The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)" by Juliette Westbrook-Finch, I also recommend that, very different in that it all rhymes but if you like love poetry you'll love that too.

The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)

One Hundred Love Sonnets: Cien Sonetos De Amor (Texas Pan American Series)

Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
on 10 June 2011
Simply wonderful, even in it's translation. Paul Neruda's original is written beside which also gives you a chance to let the musical rhythm of his writing add further beauty to his poetry. I think it's a must for the true romantic.
on 23 August 2012
I bought this as a gift for a poetry lover (lover). Read it first, beautiful. Brought me to my senses. Discovered he didn't love me!
on 21 February 2009
I discovered Pablo Neruda, courtesy of the late Robin Cook MP, a one time Government minister and outspoken member of Parliament. Neruda's raw, searching, high emotionality..spoke to me of love, longing, sensousness, sexual highs and lows. This book is a must for all lovers of passion and sensuality...creativity, art, imagination...all will be found in his writing. Savour, cry, love, enjoy.
on 7 August 2014
Stunning poetry. Loved reading it. It features poems in both Spanish and English which is helpful. The poems are wonderful and heart breaking at times, written really well and it doesn't fail to engross the reader. You do feel every word that Neruda writes and it is written with a sense of openness and vulnerability. I would recommend that you read it.
on 5 April 2009
Pablo Neruda is a new discovery to me since I am new into poetry! And what
a discovery!! I did not discover only a man, a poet!! I discovered a Master, a god of poetry!
The style of his poems was new to me, but that proved he is one of Latin America original poets! His poems are so delicious that you do not want to finish reading them, enjoying the richness of the feast!
I recommend to anyone into love poetry, a love that tastes of earth and wood!