Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 October 2010
I'm a Posy Simmonds fan, so was very much looking forward to this book. I was not disappointed. Great use of cartoon and narrative to poke fun at some of the more outrageous aspects of publishing and being published. A great book for struggling writers, which reassures us that rejected mauscripts are not necessarily bad - They just don't fit, for any number of more or less outrageous reasons!
Loved it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2015
I love this book and Posy Simmonds is hilarious but i must say this took FOREVER to arrive, about a month which was a bit ridiculous.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 September 2009
This charming and funny graphic book gives Posy Simmonds the chance to turn her spotlight on writing and the literary sub-culture that exists around it. She is good on the slightly predatory middle-aged male writer and even better on the mind-numbing business of book-signings. She has a nice line in struggling small bookshops and a wonderful way with the male writer's over-weaning ego and his wife's weary sufferance. But literary ladies don't get away with it either - one is shown watching a Wimbledon match, but as the family returns she switches off and rushes to sit rapt over her laptop.

A witty take on the story of Cinderella (Cinders and Buttons are in an old-folks home) allows Simmonds a longer comic strip, but nothing here surpasses her earlier wonderful comic strip Gemma Bovary.

One of the most talented and perceptive of our graphic artists, Simmonds more than matches the drawing with the story lines - and catches the zeitgeist of a whole culture (a middle-class, middle-income, self-absorbed English literati) - with panache and a lovely sense of wickedness.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2011
I don't know much about Posy Simmonds stuff and I was a bit worried it was going to be like the Archers, but fortunately she took the micky out of them. I like how she drew the awful parties and how everyone seemed to be wearing a shiny false smiles.

I liked the stories about the bookshop, stories of them saying some of the books they get are crap and how get all sorts of weirdos in the shops. That was funny. I also like the style of the drawings and the detail.

As a bookcrosser some authors enjoy going to bookcrossing meetings, they can meet other booklovers and other authors. Bookrossing wasn't mentioned in the Literary Life at all which was surprising. Thousands of bookcrossers leave books deliberately on benches for others to read, and this type of literary behaviour wasn't mentioned at all. Bookcrossing may not have been mentioned as it encourages people to swap books 'for free' and some writers don't like that, but many are ok about it. It seemed to just cover 'mainstream' booksignings, reading clubs etc. I got my book from the Library. Online book forums weren't mentioned at all.

I liked the story about the old man. That was great. The owner of the establishment was very well drawn, she looked rather like my old snooty English teacher.

I would have liked to have more cartoons about writers doing research, they can't all be stuck inside writing all day, they have to go out and research, and these can be in all sorts of weird and wonderful places. It was very stereotypical/cheesey in some places.

Another thing that was not mentioned were Amazon book reviews.

Nicely drawn, funny but plenty of things were missed out. I will have a look for her other books.