This is a masterpiece of a picture book, which I can best describe as mid-20th century American gangster cinema sort-of squashed into a quirkily romantic children's book. Intrigued? You should be. Read on...

Published on 24 Oct 2007 by ELH Browning

2.0 out of 5 stars Very strange children's book
Published on 23 May 2012 by Mrs O

5.0 out of 5 stars The Moulin Rouge of picture books??? Vivid, bold, dark and romantic all at once. Wonderful!, 24 Oct 2007
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I have never before read a book narrated by a spoon, but boy! spoons can tell a good tale if this is anything to go by. The Spoon in question is the one from the age-old favourite nursery rhyme Hey Diddle Diddle. Following that age-old romantic ideal to run away with a "Dish", off he goes with the Spode bowl of his dreams! They sail away and head to the city that never sleeps, New York, New York.

With a daring and dazzling acrobatic double act, they make it to the big time and the high life..... but it is sadly short-lived. They are foolish and frivolous, whilst gangsters from the cutlery drawer are waiting in the wings. Stony broke once again, and desperate, the dish and the spoon commit a daring bank raid which doesn't end well. The Dish is ..er.. extensively cracked... and the spoon does time behind bars.

All's well that ends well though and happily the pair meet again (25 years later - great Silver wedding anniversary present!?)), their love undiminished and once again, Hey Diddle Diddle.... The Dish ran away with the Spoon.

I think the story is darker than Mini Grey's previous books, with richer depths to its underlying themes: as well as enduring love, there's boom and bust, and the ephemeral nature of fame. That said, both my boys (3 and 5) are fascinated by the more shady characters. They also point out an abundance of little details and hints of humour in the illustrations, amused for example by as the spoon in his driving goggles during their heyday, and the despondent knife and fork duo in the background at the end of the book. They think it is very funny that the dish and spoon try to disguise themselves when committing the bank robbery with just mutant-ninja-turtle-style strips over the eyes which fool noone.
All the pictures include lots of jostling background details that you don't notice at once but spot later. For example throughout the book as the dish and the spoon seek freedom, the coin-like moon shows the statue of liberty's face. However at the end of the story, the moon looks like the fresh-faced dish of their youth, a lovely touch. A lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Mini Grey, 8 May 2009
My children and I (they are 5 and 7) love this book, it was our first introduction to Mini Grey. We have bought all of her books now, and amongst our favourites are both Traction Man stories and Biscuit Bear. Traction Man has inspired both my kids to play with their toys in a more inventive way and Biscuite Bear has been recreated in our own kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dish and the Spoon, 22 Mar 2009
Mrs. G. Robertson "Gailadriel" (Perthshire) - See all my reviews
A strangely dark little story with a bittersweet ending...not the sort of story i would usually choose for a four year old, but after getting it from the library and loving it, my son asked for his own copy. It is a regular if unusual bedtime read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Mini, 4 Oct 2006
A. Lancaster "Adam" (Hertford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures Of The Dish And The Spoon (Hardcover)
Ever wondered what happened after the dish ran away with the spoon? Well, Mini Grey attempts in her new picture book to put us all out of our misery and tells their continuing story.

What we see is a story of love, heartbreak, mystery and intrigue and ultimately a rags to riches and back to rags again story where the only thing that endures is love. Ok this sounds nothing like a picture book, but put with this Mini Greys humour and her astute mind and what you get is a great addition to anyone's book collection.

Mini, famous for her quirky, off centre drawings has not produced one poor book yet. With great stories that include Biscuit Bear, Traction Man is Here, and Egg Drop, Mini returns to the roots of famous children's tales where she first delighted with her hilarious take on the Princess and the Pea tale in The Pea and the Princess where we see things from the peas point of view. Everything is spot on in this book, the words, the pictures, the humour and of course the story which finally means we can rest in knowledge that they live Happily Ever After indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Adventures Of The Dish And The Spoon (Hardcover)
The story of what happens after the dish & spoon ran away together, for anyone who was wondering. Slightly lost on the kids, but I loved it!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very strange children's book, 23 May 2012
This is the weirdest children's book I have ever read - I think it appeals more to adults than children. It's a very strange story WARNING Spolier ahead - it has the dish and the spoon, take up gambling, commit armed robbery, get into debt with money lenders and then end up in jail. Bit of an odd story to tell kids, yes I love the movie references as an adult and I love the poetry of the writing but not sure it's something which my baby will grow to love but only time will tell!

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy - for both reader and child!, 3 Dec 2010
I bought this 12 months ago as a Christmas present for my then nearly 3 year old son, we have read it repeatedly since and it is a firm favourite. The illustrations are divine and my son still finds new things to point out even now. I adore reading it too him and he loves listening, his favourites have to be the "sharp and shady characters". Buy it, or borrow from library, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic just got classicer!, 6 Nov 2010
This book is, in my opinion, as near to perfect as paper, pictures and words can be. my favorite book in the world (and i have read a lot). Flawless.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely 'what happened next?' tale, 4 Aug 2010
Skibeaky (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures Of The Dish And The Spoon (Hardcover)
Great story on its own but lovely to link to 'what happened next?' Took my class into all kinds of adventures which other nursery rhyme characters might have. I loved the pictures in the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very strange book, 20 April 2010
One of the other reviewers has said 'a degree of sophistication' is needed to understand this book - too right, since the story line is downright weird. I thought that the book would be suitable for my (nearly) three year old, partly because of the great illustrations, but it was completely beyond her (maybe because she doesn't know the rhyme of Hey Diddle Diddle?). Quite frankly I thought that the story was nonsense, there isn't enough detail to allow a child to properly follow the story. My six year old can understand it, but he's into what he calls 'proper' books - i.e. not picture books. It's therefore difficult to see what age group this book is aimed at.

The Adventures Of The Dish And The Spoon
The Adventures Of The Dish And The Spoon by Mini Grey (Hardcover - 6 April 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01