4.0 out of 5 stars Love the attention to detail, 21 May 2005
This review is from: Baker Cat (Hardcover)
Since acquiring this book, my 4-year old has insisted on having the "Cookery Cat" (his words!) read to him every single night! He loves the cheeky names the cat is called ("mangy fur-bag) and the mice running riot in the storeroom and feels sorry for him when he has a teeny weeny fish for breakfast. It's a really lovely story about getting one-up over the baddies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful story of cat and mouse teamwork, 17 Jan 2007
This review is from: Baker Cat (Hardcover)
I got this out of the Amazon box yesterday evening after my 4 year old had gone to bed. This morning I showed him the new book and then found myself having to read it over and over for the next half hour through breakfast until we left for school. He loves the language and was soon chanting the mices' tail-making poem. He also loves those classic detailed Posy Simmonds drawings, pointing out to me how the snake works, the smallness of the meagre fish in the cat's dish, the cat's fur all standing up when he is threatened with being turned in to mittens - it is choc full of things to look at and talk about.

I honestly can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheeky Tale!, 25 Oct 2007
B. Looney (Montclair, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baker Cat (Paperback)
Being an American living with a culture overly concerned with political correctness, I found Baker Cat not only adorable but refreshingly irreverent. It's nice to read a children's book that speaks directly to what children love--seeing the underdog win and learning a few naughty expressions! Most American children's books are so sanitized and conformist--and too focused on setting a good example. I purchased the book because I'm a teacher and thought it would be perfect for the set of third graders I had that year. With my help, my students turned the story into a play and acted it out for other children in the school. They did an amazing job, I think, because they could really understand the characters. Who wouldn't eat all the sugar and cocoa if left alone with it? The child who played the cat was British and carried off the lines and the humor perfectly. (An American can't say the word "cheeky" without sounding ridiculous!) Hats off to Posy Simmonds. I hope she writes more books like Baker Cat--with enough characters to turn into another class play!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real favourite, 23 Jan 2006
rowena moore (Ashurst Wood, W Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baker Cat (Paperback)
My four year old daughter loves this again and again. Quirky story, gorgeous expressions, a sensible moral and some very cheeky mice. Lots of little person reading fun in the text and illustrations and a happy 'just' ending. Wouldn't we all like to shop at this bakers?!

5.0 out of 5 stars a charming book for children and ?adults, 24 July 2012
Ms. S. Quinn "Archie Goodwin" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baker Cat (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book with excellent drawings by Posy Simmonds which tells a story of a very hard-working cat and his relationship with his `employers' (the baker and his mean wife) and the mice who inhabit the bakery. His relationship with the bakery mice is a lesson for children in working together to defeat a common `enemy'. I enjoyed reading this book immensely both for the story which is a page turner and the detailed illustrations. Highly recommended for young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Posy Simmonds classic!, 6 Dec 2011
K. Wilkinson (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baker Cat (Hardcover)
I bought this after first taking it out of the library for my 3 year old son who is obsessed with it. A witty and engaging story along the lines of a feline Cinderella and beautifully illustrated. One of those lovely books that I'm happy to read again and again and my little boy demands every other night. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Sep 2014
Mr. Andrew Lavelle "Savvy" (UK, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baker Cat (Paperback)
Bought for a family member

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Nov 2014
E. osborn - See all my reviews
good

4.0 out of 5 stars We all love Posy!, 17 Dec 2004
N. Wilson "gogleddwr" (Yorkshire, UK of GB and NI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baker Cat (Hardcover)
Charming, lively, rather slight: do I detect a minor problem in not quite matching the book either to the grown up or elderly (I am 73 ...) or to a particular age of child? Do I give it to my six year old grand-daughter now, or wait another 6 ... 9? ... years? But a lovely book. There is no-one else like Posy.

Baker Cat
Baker Cat by Posy Simmonds (Hardcover - 7 Oct 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01