5.0 out of 5 stars A corner stone in comic book journalism.
Bearing in mind that no documentary, especially not on war, is ever going to be objective and thus that any reader's reaction is bound to be subjective, this work is going to stir people's feelings.
Published on 9 Feb 2005 by Lucluke

3.0 out of 5 stars Great novel but only shows one side.
It's a very good book, i do recommend it. However, if you really want to learn more about the topic i would suggest you read more about Israel too. Jacob clearly picked a side to show, witch is not a real problem, as long as you can see it.

ps: i'm not english speaker, sorry if i made any mistake.
Published 9 months ago by Carla

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A corner stone in comic book journalism., 9 Feb 2005
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
Joe Sacco's work is unique in that unlike most journalists, not only has he chosen to use comics/graphic novels as a medium but also he has a much less superficial way of working. This book and the one on Sarajevo offer a real insight on the plight of people's life in a war stricken zone. The fact that the author does not restrict himself to citing historic facts but also goes in to show apparently meaningless details about the local population's daily life only makes the horror of it all more obvious.
Though showing the plight of the Palestinians during the first "Intifada", I do not feel this is antisemitic or whatever. Joe Sacco strives to expose the first victims of any conflict, the civilians, and how that suffering is used by the waring factions on both sides against the opponent.
This might be a "comic book" but it is also a major work showing this medium to be on par with written litterature or films at their best. It is no surprise this book has received so many awards from people who are not in the "comics" business.
A definite must read for anyone interested in good journalism or on this crisis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, thought-provoking and informative, 25 Mar 2004
Mr. D. N. Sumption (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
This is an incredible work of comic journalism, an incredible work of journalism full stop. Sacco spends two months in Israel and the occupied territories, living with the people, hearing their stories, and relaying them to us as directly as he is able.
At first I was a little disappointed to hear little from the Israelis, it felt like I might not be getting the whole story, but as Joe himself says, that side of the story is one that is regularly aired in the media. What we get here, as in very few other places, is a real feel of what life is like for a Palestinian, living in a refugee camp. The book is not a political polemic (although it does set out a little-heard of history of Israel from a Palestinian viewpoint), nor does it offer any easy solutions (or even any solutions), but it documents the pain and suffering of a people in a way that you're unlikely to get elsewhere.
I strongly recommend anyone who has any interest in the situation in the middle east (which these days, lets face it, should be all of us) to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars History as lived by real people, 29 July 2006
G. Bassett (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
A truly wonderful book of journalism that shows the reader what it actually means to live, work, struggle, travel, have kids, survive and die as a Palestinian in the West bank and Gaza.

There are some truly heartbreaking stories in here, made even more so for me by the realisation that in years of hearing about the Middle East on the news I had never got any sense of what it means for a people to live their whole lives in these conditions.

Sacco tells his experiences in a self-deprecating way, never holier-than-thou or over-sentimental, always respectful. The artwork is at once simple and full of intricate detail, and beautiful to look at, even when it's subject matter is dark.

Ideally, it should make no difference to those reading this to know that I am of Jewish descent. But I find that for some reason, adding this point sometimes helps people avoid lazily dismissing reviews like this as "anti-Semitic" or somesuch.

Good honest hournalists like Joe Sacco are putting this stuff out there. How many of us choose to read and understand and then act on this kind of reporting (in the West, as much as in the Middle East) is, I think, what will decide how many more people suffer, for how long.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great novel but only shows one side., 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)

ps: i'm not english speaker, sorry if i made any mistake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, 8 Oct 2007
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
This was my first venture into graphic novels. All my life i've never been able to get into fiction, I'd stick to books on religion, war etc so when a friend pointed out that there are graphic novels/comics based on real events I thought I'd give it a go (I always assumed graphics novels were about fantasy figures/men in tight spandex outfits throwing balls of fire at women with blue hair)

I read "Palestine" in about 5 sittings, I read it before bed for about an hour each night until I was too tired, I couldn't put it down. Some of the interviews/reports really did shock me and I had to put it down a couple of times. Not just the stories themselves shocked me but the fact that I had no idea these events happened/are happening. Can't recommened this enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been much better, 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
I was looking forward reading this, I love the concept of comic journalism that the writer tries to create, and I would like to read more comic books on serious topics in that style.

Yet, I didn't enjoy this. As another reviewer mentioned it is too autobiographical. Not in terms of personal revelations but of trivial everyday things and self-conscious dialogues which lead up to the recurrent theme of "oh my god, how challenging, things are not black and white, what they show us in the west is only part of the truth". It's not that I disagree with that theme (and I share the author's sympathy with the Palestinian people he portrays), it's just that the "moral" is given too crudely, as if the author was a naive american teenager returning from his first trip abroad and saying it all to his innocent and slightly nerdy friends.

The language contributes to that too, too many words wasted (especially in an artform which relies on the economy and succinctness of words). A couple of examples... On Israeli women being admitted in the army: "takes the edge off for an aesthete like me and as an international jetsetter with an opportunity -if not a mandate- to compare such things I would place Israeli women way high in the global hot looks sweepstakes". On a smoking young soldier immediately after: "and what about the boys? oh la la!! He's doing a 'welcome to marlborough country', even I am pressing my legs together!". On a middle age woman photographing above Israeli soldier: "betcha she's never had beefcake like this on her Fuji color".

Generally, I found the history parts incomplete and too sparse, the personal travel stories more or less what I expected and not that interesting, and the light-hearted parts like the above excrept not that witty. In fairness though, I know basic stuff about the conflict and peoples and I take forgranted some of the things that the author tries to express, so perhaps I'm not in the right target group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, detailed and shocking graphic novel, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
Saccos Palestine is a modern masterpiece in its expansion of the graphic novel genre as well as it's vuscer, hard-hitting journalistic content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides knowledge of the Israel/Palestine conflict in an entertaining manner, reality of the situation presented., 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
If you want to know the basics of the Palestine/Israel conflict, this graphic novel is great. It tells the history of the invasion and the 2 intifadas that followed thereafter. It's worth a read. Sacco enters Palestine as a Westerner, a journalist, to get to grips with the situation in Palestine towards the end of the first intifada- it's his account of it. His view of the Palestine/Israel conflict is not that of the mainstream western media, it's the reality of the situation. Although the text can still be considered somewhat orientalist, it really allows you to get a hold of Palestinian history. I followed up reading this with some critical theory on Palestine, a text written by Said and Hitchens as well as other critics. It's called 'Blaming the Victims' and it's a great follow-up read. I would recommend this text to those who don't have much knowledge of this conflict.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great job by Sacco, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
I'm reading it at the moment and I understand that hadn't Joe Sacco existed, someone should have invented him.
If you want to know the daily reality of Palestinians, this is your book. If you enjoyed the masterpiece "Safe Area Gorazde", this book is not far from it: painful and interesting. You won't regret buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next book!, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Palestine (Paperback)
Bought it after I saw the Israeli film Waltzing with Bashir. It opens a window on the everyday life in Palestinian refugee camps, occupied illegally by Israeli troops since 1967, in some cases since 1948!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Palestine
Palestine by Joe Sacco (Paperback - 2 Jan 2003)
10.49