5.0 out of 5 stars An author I could really relate to
Published on 2 April 2007 by L. Hogan

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting...
I bought this as a bit of light relief while on materninty leave, whilst going out of my mind! I liked bits of it, but found the writing style a bit too random occasionally. Maybe it's because I couldn't find enough time, but I never managed to get to the end of the book yet. It's OK. I'll probably give it another go sometime in the future... maybe...
Published on 3 Sep 2010 by Angela

5.0 out of 5 stars An author I could really relate to, 2 April 2007
L. Hogan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the best book Ive read about pregnancy and motherhood. I liked the "dispatches from the front line" style, giving the sense of how disjointed life becomes when you have a new baby. I was really able to relate to the author and often found myself nodding in agreement with her sentiments. I often feel like I am inhabited by a little stranger, an alien. I found this book to be a great antidote to both the pink and fluffy "mother hood is amazing" and to the "warts and bodily fluids" humourous books out there. I felt that her writing was beautiful, sparse and clear, yet with warm humour. Some images were so vivid. I would reccomend this book to you if you have had enough of the Pink and Fluffy pregnancy books, or, if like me, you arent madly maternal. Its definetly a book I'll read and enjoy again

5.0 out of 5 stars So true, 8 Jun 2008
I loved this book. For me it was a revelation to find someone who has recorded so many of the complex emotions that pregnancy and motherhood brought forth within me. Anne Enright writes of the daily contrast between the raw joy and delight that your children can bring you accompanied by the sheer frustation and boredom that you can also experience, often within the same hour. It is brilliantly written and has a honesty and candour that mark it apart. I bought a copy for two of my friends as soon as I finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read it!, 17 Oct 2007
The best, honestly the *best* book on motherhood and pregnancy I've ever read. It's a remarkable, lucid account of what it is to be 'taken over' by this inexcorable state of mind and body, and the unthought-of pleasures and new anxieties that accompany a first child. It's certainly not a practical guide to being pregnant and having a child (there seems to be a misunderstanding about this, which accounts for the two negative reviews - do people not read blurbs or flick through a book before buying it? Odd) but I'd still recommend it to anyone pregnant for the first time, or finding themselves with a new baby and unprepared for the emotional turmoil that this brings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very true, 30 Jan 2006
Stephanie (Barnet United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I found this book very drily funny and very true to my own experiences. I would recommend it to any educated woman thinking of swapping a successful career for the "domestic bliss" of motherhood to read this for an honest preview of their first year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brash, Honest, Eye-Opening View of Motherhood, 30 Aug 2004
This review is from: Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood (Hardcover)
Enright combines the immediacy of diary writing with a novelist's eye for details, metaphor and epiphany to create a startling portrait of pregnancy and motherhood--the pain, the risk, the doubt, the confusion, and then the joy and the fear. Not for would-be Moms who only want the good news. And it's suprisingly funny. My other favorite book about parenting is "I Sleep At Red Lights: A True Story of Life After Triplets," by Bruce Stockler, an American Dad's account of the chaos of being a primary caregiver, and an honest portrayal of the difficulties of marriage. An equally original but lesser known book that is well worth finding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stumbling into Motherhood!, 5 April 2005
This review is from: Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood (Hardcover)
I wouldn't say this book is especially useful but it does provide reassurance that there are days (and plenty of them) when you don't feel like part of the human race; that being half dressed is yesterday's clothes, having baby goo down both shoulders, not having brushed your hair for days and generally feeling like a zombie is part of the deal. It's light hearted approach is a welcome relief from more stearn "this is how to bring up baby" books. Worth a read and then pass it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank, poignant, and funny, 3 Nov 2004
This review is from: Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood (Hardcover)
I have to read this book in bite-size chunks because otherwise I'll finish it too quickly. It is beautifully written and is the perfect foil to all those trying-too-hard-to-be-funny books on motherhood. This is the truth, plain and simple, and for that it is both gentle and shocking, funny and moving.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rambling guff, 23 Mar 2014
Rambling guff really, no insight, not even any funny stories, just the inane ramblings of a new mother that gets nowhere slowly.

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting..., 3 Sep 2010
Angela (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars stark empathy, 14 Sep 2004
This review is from: Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood (Hardcover)
I laughed so much that it reminded me what stress incontinence was all about. A book for mothers that it so well written, even fathers will like it.

Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood
Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood by Anne Enright (Hardcover - 12 Aug 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01