4.0 out of 5 stars For those who read this after his fall from grace
I bought this some while ago after getting hooked on the Tour De France this year and wanting to read everything I could lay my hands on. But I was diverted into reading the "scandal" books first, especially The Secret Race, and ended up wondering if I wanted to read It's Not About The Bike after all. I decided to read it anyway and have to say that his style of writing...
Published 17 months ago by Peter Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars There goes my hero...
That Armstrong beat cancer is something that cannot be taken away from him, and in that regard his tenacity and will to live is inspiring stuff. The rest? Pure fiction about a cycling career that was based on a lie that Armstrong fought every step of the way and didn't care who he destroyed to protect it.

Is this book still worth reading? Yes, the first part is...
Published 15 months ago by Godsballs

‹ Previous | 120 21 22 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing and uplifting, 12 Jun 2009
A. Cunningham (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life (Paperback)
a truly amazing book which makes you marvel at human life in general, makes you realsie how precious life is and makes you want to live each day to the full, everyone should read this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Legend, 25 May 2009
Probably the best book I have read, didn't know a lot about Lance Armstrong before I read the book but found it inspiring reading.
If you haven't read it yet do it, even if you are not interested in cycling

5.0 out of 5 stars For everyone, especially for doctors and carers, 25 Feb 2009
This is a very easy to read book and a great explanation of what a young person diagnosed with cancer goes through. Doctors should read books like this to understand what to do and not to do and particularly that the patient should have ful knowledge of the disease. Carers who have to go through some emotional challenges should also read this to understand what starts coming into the life and mind of a person whose's life chance are a flip of a coin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lethargy, 2 Jun 2008
The writing style of this book is odd, and at times it reads like a blog or if Lance is recording thoughts and handing them oer to the co-author. In fact the writing style and the short length of the book were the negative points for me. I somehow felt there might be more he could share but then again I guess this is his style, so if you are looking for a great piece of writing you've come to the wrong place. Its also not really an explanation of the cancer experience (I guess thats in the first volume). What it is a description of a man's life, what bothers him, what choices he has made and is making with cancer, his relationship to the disease and the sufferers he actively makes a point of meeting, how he manages to train every day of the year and have a family life (but not very sucessfully as he recently divorced Sheryl Crow- also a cancer sufferer), and his views on lots of issues like religion and even the Iraq war. There is also quite a lot of material which in summary are a dummies guide to how Lance keeps on winning the tour de france, as well as personal feedback on specific races or incidents such as the fall up the mountain in 2003. As a result I think if you are not a cycling or Tour de France fan you would be better off reading the cancer story. However if like me you wanted to get an insight into a sporting and personnal enigma then this is a good read and I couldn't put it down once I'd started.

This book enables even the most ignorant spectator of cycle racing and the Tour de France in particular to appreciate how much more is involved in this sport than the pedalling of the routes of France we see on television. The details Lance Armstrong provides brings both the race and the figures in the peleton to life.
However, much deeper than the insight into this famous race, is the appreciation the reader is able to experience of a very human man with very human failings but incredible strength of purpose and character. He leaves you with the determination to make all your own seconds count.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and touching, 11 May 2006
Stephan Monzel (Germany) - See all my reviews
It's not about the bike

I started this book in Miami (in a plane) and ended it in Amsterdam!

Heartwarming, inspirational and a real gift to humanity. What a story, what a courage. We all have this power inside and this book is a wonderful reminder of that!!! It shows in an entertaining and yet deeply touching way, how everything comes back to you. Always.

Ariel and Shya Kane, authors of Working on Yourself Doesn't Work and Working on Your Relationship Doesn't Work, open up the same "power-box" in their books: You! Their books are also inspirational guides about how to find your inner strength and your own responsibility. Become aware, get interested and live your life. Moment for moment. Like Armstrong shows us: There is only this moment, who knows what tomorrow will bring? The Kanes books, as well as Armstrong's book, have deeply transformed my life. Like Armstrong says:

It is not about the bike!

4.0 out of 5 stars balls to cancer, 29 Nov 2009
Matthew J. Wakefield (Bilston, Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
While this is a great book, for an even better book about about surviving Testicular Cancer read One Lump Or Two by Darren Couchman. OK, he isnt a world class athlete worth millions of dollars, but he is a Top Bloke, an ordinary man who drinks beers, scoffs doner kebabs and farts. He is one of the originators of the Testicle Tour, which he takes a huge pink fluffy testicle round the streets of the UK to raise awareness of this Man Killer. In July of this year he rounded up 14 other Testicular Cancer Survivors (including myself) and 50 supporters, and armed with similar fluffy testicles, walked round the streets of London getting other blokes to 'check their nuts'.

Anyway, his book is full of humour, great sadness and best of all, this is where it beats Lance Armstrong's book, explains how to do a Testicle Self Examination.

Pure Class Read!

Matt 'One Nut' Wakefield
9 Year Testicular Cancer Survivor

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely interesting, 7 Feb 2013
R. Mura "Bob" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. Clearly after Oprah's interview some sections have a totally different flavor to them but the book in itself is fantastic. You learn quite a bit about the man (and about cycling as a byproduct) and having seen my wife successfully battle cancer, I am still in awe about Armstrong's achievements after what he's had.

5.0 out of 5 stars good price, 13 Nov 2009
Mrs. Kelly Knight (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
Bought for my brother in law, who has already read it and enjoyed it. It arrived quick and was cheaper the shop prices

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for anyone !, 14 Aug 2009
This is a great book, whether you are into cylcing or not, its more about strength of character. If Lance is your hero you may loose some feeling towards him as he does come across as slightly arrigant. I am a person who has only read about 5 books in my life all the way through, but found this one interesting enough to make all the way through. Great Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching insight into his life., 27 Jan 2013
You have to have been there to experience what this guy's been through. He's a legend in his own right. Well worth reading.

‹ Previous | 120 21 22 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb4f6d87c)

It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong (Paperback - 3 May 2001)
6.29