4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but not always practical.
Published on 14 May 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Has been replaced
The book is fine. What I didnt realise (and should have) is that essentially its an older version of his new book, Amazing Baby, which is newer and prettier. It reached me in good condition and was impressed with the stockist, the customer service was very good.
Published 19 months ago by Mambavet

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but not always practical., 14 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Babywatching (Paperback)
I was advised to read this by my brother when I was tearing my hair with my 2 month old baby. It gave a totally different perspective to being a new parent, and explained a lot of the "whys" if not the "what to dos". I have passed my worst stage, and my baby is beautiful and I can enjoy Baby watching without feeling like a failure and just be fascinated by the reasons behind my baby's actions. Good luck to all new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a father-to-be!, 26 Jun 2008
This review is from: Babywatching (Hardcover)
As a father-to-be I've found this book a fascinating read. It certainly makes you aware of some the changes you'll see in your baby as they grow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever insider, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Babywatching (Paperback)
Once again Desmond Morris comes at it from a different angle and gives you a great inside.

Would recommend to any parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Babywatching (Paperback)
I bought this for my daughter, who had recently had her first child, she loved it and although it was not a recent publication she found the the content relevant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has been replaced, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Babywatching (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, 28 Nov 2012
This is a great book every parent should read, and the price was also amazing. Would also be great as gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book with real insights into how we should be parenting our babies., 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: Babywatching (Paperback)
This is a great book, very accessible and easy to read with some fascinating information about how our babies develop and how we can help them to grow into happy confident adults.

A must read for anyone with a baby, tells you very clearly how popular baby care techniques can be damaging to the baby and to the mother and baby connection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 22 Nov 2010
A. J. Bradbury "Andy B." (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Babywatching (Paperback)
Parts of this book are interesting. Parts are "take it or leave it"-type material. And parts of it are sheer waffle.

As a zoologist Mr Morris is naturally committed to trying to sell his readers on evolution at every possible chance. Personally I have no problem with that - until the "facts" are so speculative that they have been included 'on principle' rather that because they add anything of any value to the discussion.

Apart from anything else, if you read enough books that promote these ideas you will start finding "explanations" that not only fail to match up but may at times even contradict each other.

If you enjoy this kind of trivia, which can by no means be guaranteed to explain why babies do all the things they do, then the writing is competent enough and the text is divided into segments of only a few pages, so you don't have to wait until you have a spare hour or two before you dive into it.

If, on the other hand, you tend to get fed up with being told that your baby's actions are simply reflections of the behaviour found in chimpanzees and orang-utans then you may find the book has little to offer.

(Note to Mr Morris: As you will already know, according to evolutionist orthodoxy, the last common ancestor of both humans AND chimpanzees was a hypothetical creature referred to as Pan Prior. And Pan Prior is believed to have existed around 6,000,000 (six million) years ago.

Are you seriously asking us to believe that human babies in the 21st century are making the same gestures, for the same reasons, as young chimpanzees and orang-utans when there has been no direct link between the different creatures for all that time?

Surely you can at least see the difficultly in finding such a link credible?)

Babywatching
Babywatching by Desmond Morris (Paperback - 1 April 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01