Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 April 2009
My son who is 10 read this book recently and I was amazed. Normally it is a little bit of an effort to get him to read, although his reading age has been assessed as 14 - due to his knowledge of vocabulary. This is a boy who would rather read comics!!

He discovered Ian McEwan and would not put it down. He enjoyed reading this book so much that he carried it from lesson to lesson so that if he had any extra time he could read some more! I have never known anything like it before. The Daydreamer

If your child enjoyed this book/writer as much as mine, then I would thoroughly recommend David Almond as a writer.

I found it very difficult to find another writer like McEwan and according to my son I have found one in David Almond.
on 23 April 2011
am a huge fan of the author and have a high regard for his exquisite use of the English Language.

His heavyweights eg Atonement and Amsterdam are nearer my normal read and i suppose i fell into this
particular book more by accident than design; nevertheless it stands in its own right and I regret having missed
the opportunity of reading it to my children now they are grownup. If I say I still enjoyed it then perhaps i am
grateful for retaining some of my own youth even though I am about to turn 60.
on 3 September 2008
After being initially surprised and disappointed by this book, I wasn't aware of the subject or style before purchasing, I grew to like it, eventually thoroughly enjoyed reading it and in the end I was delighted by it. It was a brilliant view of the world through the eyes and mind of a daydreaming young boy, and was both innocent and ultimately profound. I was glad I didn't read about it before I purchased because I might never have read it.
on 3 March 2016
Amusing for me as it reminded me a lot of my own daydreamy child, but also for anyone who's ever been a child, it's a good evocation of the fertile imaginative play of ten year olds. Most of the stories involve metamorphoses of some kind (hence the quote from Ovid at the start), and learning to see things from another point of view (a baby, a cat, the school bully). And the peek into the adult world at the end is bittersweet.
on 20 April 2009
A beautiful, magical collection of thought provoking short stories. My seven year old loved them, and I really enjoyed reading them to him. Something different to the usual format for younger children, filled with quirky concepts that had us discussing ideas for days afterward. Buy this book.
on 13 April 2013
A beautifully written series of stories by Ian McEwan, told from the point of view of a young boy who daydreams he's transported into the bodies of other people and animals. Too good to keep to yourself - I had to share with several people!
on 29 November 2006
Amazing book. Not your average children's story! I have read this to several classes of 10-11 year old children and they never fail to go 'Wow' as the incredible stories unfold. For example, when Peter has his arm pulled from its socket by 'The Bad Doll' or when he unzips the skin from his pet cat. The quality of the decsription, characterisation and imagination on display here make this a great book for Year 6 children. It also includes many links to topics such as growing up and bullying.
on 26 July 2011
Really enjoyable. I like coming back toindividual stories in between bigger reads. Recommended, especially for adults who have forgotten how to use their immagination! :)
on 6 May 2002
This book contains seven surreal stories about a boy aged ten, called Peter. My favourite chapter is The Baby where Peter daydreams his baby cousin and himself swop bodies. I like the fact that you are never sure if it is Kate's magic wand that caused the swop or if it was Kenneth. I was pleased that Peter learnt his lesson being a baby and wasn't nasty to Kenneth any more because he knew what it felt like being a baby.
on 26 January 2009
This is a versatile,ingenuous,sometimes jaded book. It is basically a compilation of stories that tell the tale of Peter,a soft and thoughtful wool gatherer who dreams of many adventures. It's illusory and enchating, an easy read for all ages with magnetic prose and a good amount of alluring escapades.

Looking down through the fur,and parting it with the tips of his fingers,he saw that he had opened up a small slit in the cat's skin. It was as if he were holding the handle of a zip.Again he pulled,and now there was a dark opening two inches long.William Cat's purr was coming from in there.Perhaps,Peter thought,I'll see his heart beating.A paw was gently pushing against his fingers again.William Cat wanted him to go on.
And this is what he did. He unzipped the whole cat from throat to tail.Peter wanted to part the skin to peep inside.But he did not wish to appear nosy.He was just about to call out to Kate when there was a movement,a stirring inside the cat,and from the opening in the fur there came a faint pink glow which grew brighter. And suddenly,out of William Cat climed a,well,a thing,a creature.But Peter was not really certain it was there to touch,for it seemed to be made entirely of light.And while it did not have whiskers of a tail,or a purr,or even fur,or four legs,everything about it seemed to say 'cat'.